element14 Community
element14 Community
    Register Log In
  • Site
  • Search
  • Log In Register
  • Community Hub
    Community Hub
    • What's New on element14
    • Feedback and Support
    • Benefits of Membership
    • Personal Blogs
    • Members Area
    • Achievement Levels
  • Learn
    Learn
    • Ask an Expert
    • eBooks
    • element14 presents
    • Learning Center
    • Tech Spotlight
    • STEM Academy
    • Webinars, Training and Events
    • Learning Groups
  • Technologies
    Technologies
    • 3D Printing
    • FPGA
    • Industrial Automation
    • Internet of Things
    • Power & Energy
    • Sensors
    • Technology Groups
  • Challenges & Projects
    Challenges & Projects
    • Design Challenges
    • element14 presents Projects
    • Project14
    • Arduino Projects
    • Raspberry Pi Projects
    • Project Groups
  • Products and Partners
    Products and Partners
    • Arduino
    • Avnet & Tria Boards Community
    • Dev Tools
    • Manufacturers
    • Multicomp Pro
    • Product Groups
    • Raspberry Pi
    • RoadTests & Reviews
  • About Us
    About the element14 Community
  • Store
    Store
    • Visit Your Store
    • Choose another store...
      • Europe
      •  Austria (German)
      •  Belgium (Dutch, French)
      •  Bulgaria (Bulgarian)
      •  Czech Republic (Czech)
      •  Denmark (Danish)
      •  Estonia (Estonian)
      •  Finland (Finnish)
      •  France (French)
      •  Germany (German)
      •  Hungary (Hungarian)
      •  Ireland
      •  Israel
      •  Italy (Italian)
      •  Latvia (Latvian)
      •  
      •  Lithuania (Lithuanian)
      •  Netherlands (Dutch)
      •  Norway (Norwegian)
      •  Poland (Polish)
      •  Portugal (Portuguese)
      •  Romania (Romanian)
      •  Russia (Russian)
      •  Slovakia (Slovak)
      •  Slovenia (Slovenian)
      •  Spain (Spanish)
      •  Sweden (Swedish)
      •  Switzerland(German, French)
      •  Turkey (Turkish)
      •  United Kingdom
      • Asia Pacific
      •  Australia
      •  China
      •  Hong Kong
      •  India
      •  Japan
      •  Korea (Korean)
      •  Malaysia
      •  New Zealand
      •  Philippines
      •  Singapore
      •  Taiwan
      •  Thailand (Thai)
      •  Vietnam
      • Americas
      •  Brazil (Portuguese)
      •  Canada
      •  Mexico (Spanish)
      •  United States
      Can't find the country/region you're looking for? Visit our export site or find a local distributor.
  • Translate
  • Profile
  • Settings
Community Hub
Community Hub
Member's Forum In the Tesla Club
  • Blog
  • Forum
  • Documents
  • Quiz
  • Events
  • Leaderboard
  • Polls
  • Files
  • Members
  • Mentions
  • Sub-Groups
  • Tags
  • More
  • Cancel
  • New
Join Community Hub to participate - click to join for free!
Actions
  • Share
  • More
  • Cancel
Forum Thread Details
  • Replies 45 replies
  • Subscribers 636 subscribers
  • Views 4477 views
  • Users 0 members are here
  • members
  • nikola_tesla
  • tesla
  • points
  • badges
  • levels
Related

In the Tesla Club

spannerspencer
spannerspencer over 10 years ago

tumblr_nahigwzu991ry46hlo1_500.gifHi guys!

 

I just wrote a reply to a discussion, and noticed that I'm now in the Level 8: Telsa club! If I'm honest I haven't been keeping a close eye on my points and levels and badges and such (always too busy posting the docs about getting points and levels and badges and such! image), but I wrote that quick post and there was Nikola staring back at me!

 

It also made me wonder about the general reaction to climbing levels -- do you just let them come as your points rack up naturally, or do you actively make an effort to reach the next level?

 

If you don't really watch the levels, what would make them of more interest to you?

  • Sign in to reply
  • Cancel
  • mcb1
    mcb1 over 10 years ago
    do you actively make an effort to reach the next level?

    No because there doesn't seem to be one.

     

    There is no real incentive to reach any level, so why would someone want to aspire to the next level.

    As an absolute beginner they get all priviledges, while other sites you need to attain xx points before you have access to xyz.

     

    In the older times the avatar changed, but since you apply your own the persons points is only visible if you look for it.

     

    Novices and Higher get equal standings for Road Tests, etc so there is no advantage there.

    Personally I think that some of the more expensive Road Tests should only be for Level x and higher, as it's obvious they have been here for a while and contributed.

     

    Having a minimum level doesn't necessarily mean we get someone that can blog, since we've seen how some people comment on 3 year old posts to gain points.

    We've also had some absolute newbies apply for Design Tests and become very valued members.

     

     

    There was plenty of activity when I hit the top level, but sadly for Shabaz very little official recognition (unless I missed it). We have clem57 knocking on the door as well.

    If we truely want to acknowledge these levels then surely we should be doing something for everyone that reaches them.

     

     

    I know there is problems with cross border vouchers, but surely there is element14 merchandise that could be given out for certain levels.

     

     

    Mark

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +7 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • dougw
    dougw over 10 years ago

    Points and levels have become much less important for me, because it takes far more time to level up than it takes to do a big project. I don't even know what the next level is or what points I need to get there. I suspect when the point spread between levels exceeds a certain amount, interest will tend to wane. Maybe if the scale was more linear at higher levels it would retain its motivating properties - maybe 5000 points between levels....

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +2 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • Robert Peter Oakes
    Robert Peter Oakes over 10 years ago

    I look from time to time but to be honest, since the award scheme changed to be way way less per post or video etc, I just don't worry about it, I know a newcomer will be thinking "Ill never get there" and even a few of us that are at the top will still take forever to get to that magic top level

     

    So I just keep doing my thing and don't worry about it, Aside from Credibility (Our Answers to questions are taken seriously or at least more seriously than others of a lower level), there is no bonus to being there right now

     

    It does feel good to be there though, and knowing it was hard earned image

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +3 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • clem57
    clem57 over 10 years ago

    At first I though you bought a new car. image

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +5 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • clem57
    clem57 over 10 years ago

    I keep one eye out, but I really enjoy getting people answers. I used to be a teacher for adults in mainframe technology. I also learn more through doing/helping. I find more motivation that way.

    Clem

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +3 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
<
element14 Community

element14 is the first online community specifically for engineers. Connect with your peers and get expert answers to your questions.

  • Members
  • Learn
  • Technologies
  • Challenges & Projects
  • Products
  • Store
  • About Us
  • Feedback & Support
  • FAQs
  • Terms of Use
  • Privacy Policy
  • Legal and Copyright Notices
  • Sitemap
  • Cookies

An Avnet Company © 2026 Premier Farnell Limited. All Rights Reserved.

Premier Farnell Ltd, registered in England and Wales (no 00876412), registered office: Farnell House, Forge Lane, Leeds LS12 2NE.

Follow element14

  • X
  • Facebook
  • linkedin
  • YouTube