element14 Community
element14 Community
    Register Log In
  • Site
  • Search
  • Log In Register
  • Community Hub
    Community Hub
    • What's New on element14
    • Feedback and Support
    • Benefits of Membership
    • Personal Blogs
    • Members Area
    • Achievement Levels
  • Learn
    Learn
    • Ask an Expert
    • eBooks
    • element14 presents
    • Learning Center
    • Tech Spotlight
    • STEM Academy
    • Webinars, Training and Events
    • Learning Groups
  • Technologies
    Technologies
    • 3D Printing
    • FPGA
    • Industrial Automation
    • Internet of Things
    • Power & Energy
    • Sensors
    • Technology Groups
  • Challenges & Projects
    Challenges & Projects
    • Design Challenges
    • element14 presents Projects
    • Project14
    • Arduino Projects
    • Raspberry Pi Projects
    • Project Groups
  • Products and Partners
    Products and Partners
    • Arduino
    • Avnet & Tria Boards Community
    • Dev Tools
    • Manufacturers
    • Multicomp Pro
    • Product Groups
    • Raspberry Pi
    • RoadTests & Reviews
  • About Us
    About the element14 Community
  • Store
    Store
    • Visit Your Store
    • Choose another store...
      • Europe
      •  Austria (German)
      •  Belgium (Dutch, French)
      •  Bulgaria (Bulgarian)
      •  Czech Republic (Czech)
      •  Denmark (Danish)
      •  Estonia (Estonian)
      •  Finland (Finnish)
      •  France (French)
      •  Germany (German)
      •  Hungary (Hungarian)
      •  Ireland
      •  Israel
      •  Italy (Italian)
      •  Latvia (Latvian)
      •  
      •  Lithuania (Lithuanian)
      •  Netherlands (Dutch)
      •  Norway (Norwegian)
      •  Poland (Polish)
      •  Portugal (Portuguese)
      •  Romania (Romanian)
      •  Russia (Russian)
      •  Slovakia (Slovak)
      •  Slovenia (Slovenian)
      •  Spain (Spanish)
      •  Sweden (Swedish)
      •  Switzerland(German, French)
      •  Turkey (Turkish)
      •  United Kingdom
      • Asia Pacific
      •  Australia
      •  China
      •  Hong Kong
      •  India
      •  Japan
      •  Korea (Korean)
      •  Malaysia
      •  New Zealand
      •  Philippines
      •  Singapore
      •  Taiwan
      •  Thailand (Thai)
      •  Vietnam
      • Americas
      •  Brazil (Portuguese)
      •  Canada
      •  Mexico (Spanish)
      •  United States
      Can't find the country/region you're looking for? Visit our export site or find a local distributor.
  • Translate
  • Profile
  • Settings
Community Hub
Community Hub
Member's Forum In the Tesla Club
  • Blog
  • Forum
  • Documents
  • Quiz
  • Events
  • Leaderboard
  • Polls
  • Files
  • Members
  • Mentions
  • Sub-Groups
  • Tags
  • More
  • Cancel
  • New
Join Community Hub to participate - click to join for free!
Actions
  • Share
  • More
  • Cancel
Forum Thread Details
  • Replies 45 replies
  • Subscribers 636 subscribers
  • Views 4462 views
  • Users 0 members are here
  • members
  • nikola_tesla
  • tesla
  • points
  • badges
  • levels
Related

In the Tesla Club

spannerspencer
spannerspencer over 10 years ago

tumblr_nahigwzu991ry46hlo1_500.gifHi guys!

 

I just wrote a reply to a discussion, and noticed that I'm now in the Level 8: Telsa club! If I'm honest I haven't been keeping a close eye on my points and levels and badges and such (always too busy posting the docs about getting points and levels and badges and such! image), but I wrote that quick post and there was Nikola staring back at me!

 

It also made me wonder about the general reaction to climbing levels -- do you just let them come as your points rack up naturally, or do you actively make an effort to reach the next level?

 

If you don't really watch the levels, what would make them of more interest to you?

  • Sign in to reply
  • Cancel
  • Problemchild
    Problemchild over 10 years ago in reply to jw0752

    I kind of look at the points some one has but really more likely what they have done for the comunity. Lots of points answering your own questions seems pointless and just jams the site up with trash. Helping others is worthy and deserves help in response. If I see a person doing loads of different content I'm more engendered to them rather than just the points.

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +2 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • Problemchild
    Problemchild over 10 years ago in reply to mcb1

    Would be nice to do some more in depth H/W reviews. It would be interesting to see how much influence a good review has to a real life purchase, also how much if any does a review on a prticular site direct people to buy from that site in this case E14 of course... I suspect this information isn't really available except as a wild directed guess.

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +1 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • Problemchild
    Problemchild over 10 years ago in reply to jw0752

    Cool I've finaly joined the "darkSide" ....expecting a stroke of Tesla Lightning to finish me off any moment!

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +2 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • jwatson
    jwatson over 10 years ago

    Great feedback and ideas everyone! We're discussing them. Keep the conversation coming. Thanks.

    Jane

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +2 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • mcb1
    mcb1 over 10 years ago in reply to shabaz

    Many people from Element14 staff did personally reach out to me when the points hit 100k

    Excellent ...

    I didn't think they would ignore you ....

     

     

    you're an inspiration especially because you always "keep it real".

    Thanks

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +3 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • jw0752
    jw0752 over 10 years ago

    I just noticed that you have company in the Tesla Club as Problemchild also just made it.  Congratulations to John Alexander. I noticed that he has been on the brink for the last couple weeks and finally he made the leap and crossed over.

    John

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +5 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • gadget.iom
    gadget.iom over 10 years ago

    For the reasons mentioned above I too don't seem to watch too carefully.

     

    The suggestion about holding back high-value road tests to people above a certain tier sounds like a good one.

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +2 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • jw0752
    jw0752 over 10 years ago

    Hi Spanner,

    I used to watch the points more closely as there was a list of where the points came from that allowed me to see from whom and for what they were awarded. Now the list is still there but it contains no information that is usable. The larger tiers may slow down the process but I think they push us back to what is important, paying attention to the posts, answering questions, posting blogs, and going about the purposes for which the forum is intended. When the next tier does come it is fun and feels more worth while than if it wasn't a struggle to get there. In a way the points and tier levels are like a sports teams record of wins. It is great to reminisce about past accomplishments but the real test and joy is in the next question and whether one can provide an answer worthy of a Helpful or a Correct response.

    John

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +7 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • shabaz
    shabaz over 10 years ago in reply to mcb1

    Speaking of Level 8, I still have the Tesla sticker that cstanton gave me when we visited : ) It's awesome.

    I occasionally have fun checking out what badges exist (I know a lot of effort goes into devising those by Element14, and it is definitely appreciated), and I would agree with you that we don't explicitly look out for points. Actually I feel guilty if people like clem57 and gadget.iom are not recognized, they actively help out on so many discussions with their diverse knowledge. I don't get so much time : ( despite having a high number of points.

    mcb1 you set the gold standard : ) and always so I was very happy to follow in your footsteps, you're an inspiration especially because you always "keep it real". Many people from Element14 staff did personally reach out to me when the points hit 100k, so I felt appreciated. Also spannerspencer personally put me in touch with some people since he has way better contacts than me hehe, so overall I think personalized incentives to help each of us are still there loosely tied to points levels if people want them, its just that we get motivated in ways other than points eventually too, which is no bad thing and Element14 is doing lots of things right cultivating such an environment.

     

    Christmas time especially was awesome - it was very clever how what would normally be a quiet season was turned into a busy time with the thought-provoking Year in Review/Preview posts that encouraged many conversations. So I hope Element14 internally recognises their staff too, for innovative thinking like this that keeps interest high.

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +11 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • DAB
    DAB over 10 years ago

    I mostly just post without looking at points or levels.

     

    I believe in the slow and steady approach, plus I just try to help people where I can.

     

    DAB

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +3 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
<>
element14 Community

element14 is the first online community specifically for engineers. Connect with your peers and get expert answers to your questions.

  • Members
  • Learn
  • Technologies
  • Challenges & Projects
  • Products
  • Store
  • About Us
  • Feedback & Support
  • FAQs
  • Terms of Use
  • Privacy Policy
  • Legal and Copyright Notices
  • Sitemap
  • Cookies

An Avnet Company © 2026 Premier Farnell Limited. All Rights Reserved.

Premier Farnell Ltd, registered in England and Wales (no 00876412), registered office: Farnell House, Forge Lane, Leeds LS12 2NE.

Follow element14

  • X
  • Facebook
  • linkedin
  • YouTube