element14 Community
element14 Community
    Register Log In
  • Site
  • Search
  • Log In Register
  • Community Hub
    Community Hub
    • What's New on element14
    • Feedback and Support
    • Benefits of Membership
    • Personal Blogs
    • Members Area
    • Achievement Levels
  • Learn
    Learn
    • Ask an Expert
    • eBooks
    • element14 presents
    • Learning Center
    • Tech Spotlight
    • STEM Academy
    • Webinars, Training and Events
    • Learning Groups
  • Technologies
    Technologies
    • 3D Printing
    • FPGA
    • Industrial Automation
    • Internet of Things
    • Power & Energy
    • Sensors
    • Technology Groups
  • Challenges & Projects
    Challenges & Projects
    • Design Challenges
    • element14 presents Projects
    • Project14
    • Arduino Projects
    • Raspberry Pi Projects
    • Project Groups
  • Products & Partners
    Products & Partners
    • Arduino
    • Avnet & Tria Boards Community
    • Dev Tools
    • Manufacturers
    • Multicomp Pro
    • Product Groups
    • Raspberry Pi
    • RoadTests & Reviews
  • About Us
    About the element14 Community
  • Store
    Store
    • Visit Your Store
    • Choose another store...
      • Europe
      •  Austria (German)
      •  Belgium (Dutch, French)
      •  Bulgaria (Bulgarian)
      •  Czech Republic (Czech)
      •  Denmark (Danish)
      •  Estonia (Estonian)
      •  Finland (Finnish)
      •  France (French)
      •  Germany (German)
      •  Hungary (Hungarian)
      •  Ireland
      •  Israel
      •  Italy (Italian)
      •  Latvia (Latvian)
      •  
      •  Lithuania (Lithuanian)
      •  Netherlands (Dutch)
      •  Norway (Norwegian)
      •  Poland (Polish)
      •  Portugal (Portuguese)
      •  Romania (Romanian)
      •  Russia (Russian)
      •  Slovakia (Slovak)
      •  Slovenia (Slovenian)
      •  Spain (Spanish)
      •  Sweden (Swedish)
      •  Switzerland(German, French)
      •  Turkey (Turkish)
      •  United Kingdom
      • Asia Pacific
      •  Australia
      •  China
      •  Hong Kong
      •  India
      •  Japan
      •  Korea (Korean)
      •  Malaysia
      •  New Zealand
      •  Philippines
      •  Singapore
      •  Taiwan
      •  Thailand (Thai)
      •  Vietnam
      • Americas
      •  Brazil (Portuguese)
      •  Canada
      •  Mexico (Spanish)
      •  United States
      Can't find the country/region you're looking for? Visit our export site or find a local distributor.
  • Translate
  • Profile
  • Settings
Community Hub
Community Hub
Member's Forum PSoC 5 PCB Design Using Eagle
  • Blog
  • Forum
  • Documents
  • Quiz
  • Events
  • Leaderboard
  • Polls
  • Files
  • Members
  • Mentions
  • Sub-Groups
  • Tags
  • More
  • Cancel
  • New
Join Community Hub to participate - click to join for free!
Actions
  • Share
  • More
  • Cancel
Forum Thread Details
  • Replies 9 replies
  • Subscribers 635 subscribers
  • Views 831 views
  • Users 0 members are here
Related

PSoC 5 PCB Design Using Eagle

e14 Contributor
e14 Contributor over 13 years ago

I'm new to PCB design and would like to use Eagle CAD to create my own PCB using the PSoC microcontroller. To help myself learn, I'd like to first model the PSoC 5 in Eagle along with a USB interface to program it, and respective power connections. I've already made an Eagle library part for the PSoC 5 but have no idea where to go from there. How do I properly read the datasheets to know and learn how to make connections? I'm new to all of this so please let me know if there is any information I'm missing. My first goal would be to program the PSoC 5 with the USB interface to control a simple servo with a PWM signal. Any help would be greatly appreciated

 

Thanks

  • Sign in to reply
  • Cancel
Parents
  • johnbeetem
    johnbeetem over 13 years ago

    I'd suggest getting a PSoC 4 Pioneer Kit.  It's only US$25 and has both a PSoC 4 and a PSoC 5.  The PSoC 5 is normally used to program and debug the PSoC 4, but you can reprogram it for other purposes.  There are lots of information and projects at the link to get your started.

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up 0 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • e14 Contributor
    e14 Contributor over 13 years ago in reply to johnbeetem

    Thanks for the advice John Beetem. But my idea isn't to buy a kit or something already made. I'd like to design my own PCB using the PSoC 5 microcontroller to take advantage of all the programming software developed for the PSoC already. If I had just the PSoC 5 microcontroller, how would I design a PCB containing just the power connections, a USB interface, and a way to send a PWM signal to a servo? I'd like to do something similar to the FreeSoC (http://freesoc.net/) or EzPSoC3 (http://dangerousprototypes.com/docs/EzPSoC3). I'd like some suggestions or guidance as to how to read a datasheet to learn how to design everything on Eagle CAD.

     

    Thanks

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up 0 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • johnbeetem
    johnbeetem over 13 years ago in reply to e14 Contributor

    I thought of the PSoC 4 Pioneer Kit because it sounded like you needed to do some software, and it's generally easier to get that working on a tried-and-true development board first, and then port the working code over to your own design.  As far as making your PC board, I would suggest starting with FreeSoC since it's open hardware with published schematics and layout.  You can then omit what you don't need and add other things that you do.

     

    I don't know what to suggest about how to read a data sheet.  I learned how to read data sheets as part of an undergrad ECE degree.  Data sheets are designed to provide data quickly to experienced engineers who know what they're looking for, so there's a steep learning curve for newbies.  In this case I'm talking about electrical data sheets which specify voltages, currents, and timing.  There are also technical reference manuals which describe the functionality of chips.  They're sometimes also called "data sheets", even if they're 1000 pages long.

     

    There are probably EE books out there that talk about reading data sheets, but it's been so long since I taught EE that I wouldn't be able to make a decent recommendation.

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up 0 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • moxbox
    moxbox over 12 years ago in reply to Chris_Pinter

    Hi,

     

    If you need Cypress/PSoC Eagle Cad Symbols and PCB outlines (arduino, etc.) you can can get them from my Github repo at :

    https://github.com/PatternAgents/PCB_Libraries

     

    There are also some USB interface examples at :

    https://github.com/PatternAgents/TinySoc

     

    have fun, best regards,

    Tom Moxon

    http://www.patternagents.com

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +1 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • Chris_Pinter
    Chris_Pinter over 13 years ago in reply to e14 Contributor

    Hello Justin,

     

    Eagle Schematic and PCb software has the ability to make parts decals and pcb layouts.  You first need to create these parts in the library.  You need to look at the datasheet the manufacture provides on their website to determine the pad size and locations.

     

    The PSoC 3 and the PSoC5  may or may not be using the same package so you need to look at the datasheet.

     

    I noticed you mentioned USB lines.  You need to make sure the the USB+ and USB-  lines have 75 ohm impedance and they are the same length with very little distance between the microprocessor and the USB connector.

     

    If you need help with your schematic or PCB layout I can help.   I use Eagle 6.2.

     

    Hope this helps,

     

    Chris Pinter

     

    http://www.pinterec.ca

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up 0 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • johnbeetem
    johnbeetem over 13 years ago in reply to e14 Contributor

    Justin E wrote:

     

    Are the PSoC 3 and PSoC 5 microcontrollers the same? For example, can I follow the same traces for USB connections on the PSoC 3 and just replace the PSoC 3 microcontroller with a PSoC 5 microcontroller?

    I don't know if the PSoC 3 and PSoC 5 pinouts are the same.  That question is easily answered by looking at the data sheets, since they show the pinouts for each package offered by the chip family.  Look for "pinout" and/or "pin description" in each data sheet's table of contents and compare the pinouts.  The data sheet also shows the precise dimensions of each package and the physical location of each pin, or else refers to a package data sheet with that information.

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up 0 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
Reply
  • johnbeetem
    johnbeetem over 13 years ago in reply to e14 Contributor

    Justin E wrote:

     

    Are the PSoC 3 and PSoC 5 microcontrollers the same? For example, can I follow the same traces for USB connections on the PSoC 3 and just replace the PSoC 3 microcontroller with a PSoC 5 microcontroller?

    I don't know if the PSoC 3 and PSoC 5 pinouts are the same.  That question is easily answered by looking at the data sheets, since they show the pinouts for each package offered by the chip family.  Look for "pinout" and/or "pin description" in each data sheet's table of contents and compare the pinouts.  The data sheet also shows the precise dimensions of each package and the physical location of each pin, or else refers to a package data sheet with that information.

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up 0 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
Children
No Data
element14 Community

element14 is the first online community specifically for engineers. Connect with your peers and get expert answers to your questions.

  • Members
  • Learn
  • Technologies
  • Challenges & Projects
  • Products
  • Store
  • About Us
  • Feedback & Support
  • FAQs
  • Terms of Use
  • Privacy Policy
  • Legal and Copyright Notices
  • Sitemap
  • Cookies

An Avnet Company © 2026 Premier Farnell Limited. All Rights Reserved.

Premier Farnell Ltd, registered in England and Wales (no 00876412), registered office: Farnell House, Forge Lane, Leeds LS12 2NE.

Follow element14

  • X
  • Facebook
  • linkedin
  • YouTube