Hi Everyone,
I am a middle school Algebra and Tech teacher in Rochester MN. Looking forward to learning a lot from everyone here.
Thanks,
John
Hi Everyone,
I am a middle school Algebra and Tech teacher in Rochester MN. Looking forward to learning a lot from everyone here.
Thanks,
John
Hi John. Electronics is a good place to teach about mathematics. The only bummer is we don't have many terms higher than second-order. Knowing some math is, to my mind, the sine qua non of the non-duffer. As an analog guy let me add the caveat that models are forever subject to the possibility of improvement. Any linear, two-terminal load can be modeled upon a complex number. Any n-port circuit can be modeled with a matrix of complex numbers. Trig comes into play, dynamics, calculus and differential equations, Boolean algebra, filters, FFT, polar and Smith, L-grammars, all kinds of juicy mathy stuff!
I am going to build a 555 circuit that works as a multiplier when I de-couch. I will modulate pulse width and frequency and integrate the result. Math just abounds in e-! Capacitors should be taught first, then conductance. Mind to teach the hysteresis curve so useful in magnetics, before your students become logarithm-fixated. That is a route to punchy ennui in e-, log-fixation. Remember to think about electricity in nature, lightning and magnetars and Cooper-pairing and stuff. Not to mention cybernetic theory, although I just did.
Here is a fascinating locus of conflux between e- and math:
http://sprott.physics.wisc.edu/pubs/paper245.htm
Anyway, Hi Hi!!
Hi John. Electronics is a good place to teach about mathematics. The only bummer is we don't have many terms higher than second-order. Knowing some math is, to my mind, the sine qua non of the non-duffer. As an analog guy let me add the caveat that models are forever subject to the possibility of improvement. Any linear, two-terminal load can be modeled upon a complex number. Any n-port circuit can be modeled with a matrix of complex numbers. Trig comes into play, dynamics, calculus and differential equations, Boolean algebra, filters, FFT, polar and Smith, L-grammars, all kinds of juicy mathy stuff!
I am going to build a 555 circuit that works as a multiplier when I de-couch. I will modulate pulse width and frequency and integrate the result. Math just abounds in e-! Capacitors should be taught first, then conductance. Mind to teach the hysteresis curve so useful in magnetics, before your students become logarithm-fixated. That is a route to punchy ennui in e-, log-fixation. Remember to think about electricity in nature, lightning and magnetars and Cooper-pairing and stuff. Not to mention cybernetic theory, although I just did.
Here is a fascinating locus of conflux between e- and math:
http://sprott.physics.wisc.edu/pubs/paper245.htm
Anyway, Hi Hi!!