element14 Community
element14 Community
    Register Log In
  • Site
  • Search
  • Log In Register
  • Community Hub
    Community Hub
    • What's New on element14
    • Feedback and Support
    • Benefits of Membership
    • Personal Blogs
    • Members Area
    • Achievement Levels
  • Learn
    Learn
    • Ask an Expert
    • eBooks
    • element14 presents
    • Learning Center
    • Tech Spotlight
    • STEM Academy
    • Webinars, Training and Events
    • Learning Groups
  • Technologies
    Technologies
    • 3D Printing
    • FPGA
    • Industrial Automation
    • Internet of Things
    • Power & Energy
    • Sensors
    • Technology Groups
  • Challenges & Projects
    Challenges & Projects
    • Design Challenges
    • element14 presents Projects
    • Project14
    • Arduino Projects
    • Raspberry Pi Projects
    • Project Groups
  • Products & Partners
    Products & Partners
    • Arduino
    • Avnet & Tria Boards Community
    • Dev Tools
    • Manufacturers
    • Multicomp Pro
    • Product Groups
    • Raspberry Pi
    • RoadTests & Reviews
  • About Us
    About the element14 Community
  • Store
    Store
    • Visit Your Store
    • Choose another store...
      • Europe
      •  Austria (German)
      •  Belgium (Dutch, French)
      •  Bulgaria (Bulgarian)
      •  Czech Republic (Czech)
      •  Denmark (Danish)
      •  Estonia (Estonian)
      •  Finland (Finnish)
      •  France (French)
      •  Germany (German)
      •  Hungary (Hungarian)
      •  Ireland
      •  Israel
      •  Italy (Italian)
      •  Latvia (Latvian)
      •  
      •  Lithuania (Lithuanian)
      •  Netherlands (Dutch)
      •  Norway (Norwegian)
      •  Poland (Polish)
      •  Portugal (Portuguese)
      •  Romania (Romanian)
      •  Russia (Russian)
      •  Slovakia (Slovak)
      •  Slovenia (Slovenian)
      •  Spain (Spanish)
      •  Sweden (Swedish)
      •  Switzerland(German, French)
      •  Turkey (Turkish)
      •  United Kingdom
      • Asia Pacific
      •  Australia
      •  China
      •  Hong Kong
      •  India
      •  Japan
      •  Korea (Korean)
      •  Malaysia
      •  New Zealand
      •  Philippines
      •  Singapore
      •  Taiwan
      •  Thailand (Thai)
      •  Vietnam
      • Americas
      •  Brazil (Portuguese)
      •  Canada
      •  Mexico (Spanish)
      •  United States
      Can't find the country/region you're looking for? Visit our export site or find a local distributor.
  • Translate
  • Profile
  • Settings
Community Hub
Community Hub
Member's Forum Newb looking for information on home automation
  • Blog
  • Forum
  • Documents
  • Quiz
  • Events
  • Leaderboard
  • Polls
  • Files
  • Members
  • Mentions
  • Sub-Groups
  • Tags
  • More
  • Cancel
  • New
Join Community Hub to participate - click to join for free!
Actions
  • Share
  • More
  • Cancel
Forum Thread Details
  • Replies 4 replies
  • Subscribers 632 subscribers
  • Views 526 views
  • Users 0 members are here
  • new_member_introduction
Related

Newb looking for information on home automation

e14 Contributor
e14 Contributor over 11 years ago

Hi folks,

New here, not new to programming and embedded systems. And I like to communicate with others of similar interests when I'm getting started in an area of interest.

 

At the moment I'm looking into home automation or more appropriately, automating things around the home using stuff like Arduino and perhaps other microcontrollers. (Right now I'm working with the STM32F4 and a demo board for that can be purchased for about $15. Not as simple to use but about 10x the power of the Arduino.)

 

One of the needs I want to fulfill is wireless networking. I really want to be able to connect these devices to a central PC so I can monitor and control the various devices.

 

Now I just need to figure out the best forum to ask about this

  • Sign in to reply
  • Cancel
Parents
  • electronichamsters
    electronichamsters over 11 years ago

    Hi Hank,

    I'm also interested in home automation.  I've been working on some projects based on Arduino and other microcontrollers.  Regarding the STM32F4 - it might be 10 times more powerful than an Arduino, but for home automation, you don't need power.  You're better off with a cheap foundation for sensors and actuators, that has a large code-base so you can integrate wireless transceiver libraries.  I'm using Arduino (clones, but also barebone battery powered circuits) along with a  915MHz wireless transceiver from HopeRF.  The wireless transceiver is $4.  I have examples of motion sensors, washer/dryer sensor, water leak sensor, sound sensors, etc...

     

    The other part I think you need to decide on is the automation platform.  All the sensor information goes somewhere to be processed (send emails, change indicators on a mobile application, turn on lights, play sound, etc...).  This automation platform would need to run on a real computer, like a Raspberry Pi or something more powerful.  I'm using an open source platform called OpenHAB.  Lots of good examples on Element 14 for OpenHab since there was a recent design challenge for it.

     

    Check out some of the things I've done:

    Inexpensive & Flexible Home Automation / Wireless Sensors

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up 0 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
Reply
  • electronichamsters
    electronichamsters over 11 years ago

    Hi Hank,

    I'm also interested in home automation.  I've been working on some projects based on Arduino and other microcontrollers.  Regarding the STM32F4 - it might be 10 times more powerful than an Arduino, but for home automation, you don't need power.  You're better off with a cheap foundation for sensors and actuators, that has a large code-base so you can integrate wireless transceiver libraries.  I'm using Arduino (clones, but also barebone battery powered circuits) along with a  915MHz wireless transceiver from HopeRF.  The wireless transceiver is $4.  I have examples of motion sensors, washer/dryer sensor, water leak sensor, sound sensors, etc...

     

    The other part I think you need to decide on is the automation platform.  All the sensor information goes somewhere to be processed (send emails, change indicators on a mobile application, turn on lights, play sound, etc...).  This automation platform would need to run on a real computer, like a Raspberry Pi or something more powerful.  I'm using an open source platform called OpenHAB.  Lots of good examples on Element 14 for OpenHab since there was a recent design challenge for it.

     

    Check out some of the things I've done:

    Inexpensive & Flexible Home Automation / Wireless Sensors

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up 0 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
Children
  • e14 Contributor
    e14 Contributor over 11 years ago in reply to electronichamsters

    Hi Eric,

    Thanks for the info and the pointers to your projects, HopeRF, OpenHAB. One of the podcasts I subscribe to recently discussed XMPP (http://twit.tv/show/floss-weekly/49 or if the link gets removed, search for "XMPP FLOSS") I'm not sure if they are complementary of serve the same niche but both are open source, both seem to embrace various communication layers and both run on Linux. I have a file server which runs Linux and has sufficient spare cycles to run either of these.

     

    Your point about the cost of the additional power is well taken. For many of these applications the minimum power is sufficient and most efficient. The other cost is the development effort. The more powerful chips require a *lot* more studying than programming an Arduino.

     

    best,

    hank

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up 0 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
element14 Community

element14 is the first online community specifically for engineers. Connect with your peers and get expert answers to your questions.

  • Members
  • Learn
  • Technologies
  • Challenges & Projects
  • Products
  • Store
  • About Us
  • Feedback & Support
  • FAQs
  • Terms of Use
  • Privacy Policy
  • Legal and Copyright Notices
  • Sitemap
  • Cookies

An Avnet Company © 2026 Premier Farnell Limited. All Rights Reserved.

Premier Farnell Ltd, registered in England and Wales (no 00876412), registered office: Farnell House, Forge Lane, Leeds LS12 2NE.

Follow element14

  • X
  • Facebook
  • linkedin
  • YouTube