Hi, all! I'm new to hobby electronics in the sense that I'm going back to basics. I'm a professional programmer, and have been a ham radio operator for many years. I serve in the local ARES (Amateur Radio Emergency Service) and RACES (Radio Amateur Emergency Service) as well as SKYWARN, and have worked several charity events such as the MS-150 fund-raiser, etc. as a net controller, SAG driver, chief cook and bottle washer.
As a ham I've built several projects, but never really understood what makes a circuit work so I've gone back to the beginning to fill in the gaps in my education. At 58 years of age, I still enjoy learning new stuff. My other hobbies are woodworking (building furniture), competitive shooting (shotgun and rifle), hiking, backpacking, and have been an avid reader since I was old enough to hold a book on my own. I'm having a great time learning new stuff with Arduino and Raspberry Pi projects. Work just really gets in the way of my hobbies!
I have eight more years to go before I retire and can work on all this stuff full-time. Youth is wasted on the young! They don't realize what a priceless gift they have, nor how fast it can get away. I know I didn't. I've been married to the love of my life for 32 years now, am a father of three, and grandfather of two beautiful 5 month old twin girls. My children are all grown up, and it still feels sometimes like I only got married a couple of years ago. Time sure does fly!
