element14 Community
element14 Community
    Register Log In
  • Site
  • Search
  • Log In Register
  • Community Hub
    Community Hub
    • What's New on element14
    • Feedback and Support
    • Benefits of Membership
    • Personal Blogs
    • Members Area
    • Achievement Levels
  • Learn
    Learn
    • Ask an Expert
    • eBooks
    • element14 presents
    • Learning Center
    • Tech Spotlight
    • STEM Academy
    • Webinars, Training and Events
    • Learning Groups
  • Technologies
    Technologies
    • 3D Printing
    • FPGA
    • Industrial Automation
    • Internet of Things
    • Power & Energy
    • Sensors
    • Technology Groups
  • Challenges & Projects
    Challenges & Projects
    • Design Challenges
    • element14 presents Projects
    • Project14
    • Arduino Projects
    • Raspberry Pi Projects
    • Project Groups
  • Products & Partners
    Products & Partners
    • Arduino
    • Avnet & Tria Boards Community
    • Dev Tools
    • Manufacturers
    • Multicomp Pro
    • Product Groups
    • Raspberry Pi
    • RoadTests & Reviews
  • About Us
    About the element14 Community
  • Store
    Store
    • Visit Your Store
    • Choose another store...
      • Europe
      •  Austria (German)
      •  Belgium (Dutch, French)
      •  Bulgaria (Bulgarian)
      •  Czech Republic (Czech)
      •  Denmark (Danish)
      •  Estonia (Estonian)
      •  Finland (Finnish)
      •  France (French)
      •  Germany (German)
      •  Hungary (Hungarian)
      •  Ireland
      •  Israel
      •  Italy (Italian)
      •  Latvia (Latvian)
      •  
      •  Lithuania (Lithuanian)
      •  Netherlands (Dutch)
      •  Norway (Norwegian)
      •  Poland (Polish)
      •  Portugal (Portuguese)
      •  Romania (Romanian)
      •  Russia (Russian)
      •  Slovakia (Slovak)
      •  Slovenia (Slovenian)
      •  Spain (Spanish)
      •  Sweden (Swedish)
      •  Switzerland(German, French)
      •  Turkey (Turkish)
      •  United Kingdom
      • Asia Pacific
      •  Australia
      •  China
      •  Hong Kong
      •  India
      •  Japan
      •  Korea (Korean)
      •  Malaysia
      •  New Zealand
      •  Philippines
      •  Singapore
      •  Taiwan
      •  Thailand (Thai)
      •  Vietnam
      • Americas
      •  Brazil (Portuguese)
      •  Canada
      •  Mexico (Spanish)
      •  United States
      Can't find the country/region you're looking for? Visit our export site or find a local distributor.
  • Translate
  • Profile
  • Settings
Community Hub
Community Hub
Member's Forum Electronics Begininer...  Where do I start?
  • Blog
  • Forum
  • Documents
  • Quiz
  • Events
  • Leaderboard
  • Polls
  • Files
  • Members
  • Mentions
  • Sub-Groups
  • Tags
  • More
  • Cancel
  • New
Join Community Hub to participate - click to join for free!
Actions
  • Share
  • More
  • Cancel
Forum Thread Details
  • Replies 19 replies
  • Subscribers 635 subscribers
  • Views 1628 views
  • Users 0 members are here
Related

Electronics Begininer...  Where do I start?

e14 Contributor
e14 Contributor over 11 years ago

Hi everyone.  Electronics is something I'm interested in but have no clue where to begin learning.  Do I go get one of those old radio shack kits and start doing the little projects they have?  I'm pretty amazed at the things on here and would like to at least start learning some basics.  Thanks for the help.

  • Sign in to reply
  • Cancel
Parents
  • gadget.iom
    gadget.iom over 11 years ago

    Hello Brian.

     

    Welcome to the world of electronics. Is there a particular field you are interested in?

    ie. Analogue, Digital, microcontrollers, single board computers.

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up 0 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • e14 Contributor
    e14 Contributor over 11 years ago in reply to gadget.iom

    I'm so new I don't know what I don't know. I'm really on step zero, so I'm wide open to all possibilities. I'm just fascinated watching the Ben Heck show on YouTube and would love to be able to understand some of the projects he's doing.

     

    Sent from my iPhone

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up 0 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
Reply
  • e14 Contributor
    e14 Contributor over 11 years ago in reply to gadget.iom

    I'm so new I don't know what I don't know. I'm really on step zero, so I'm wide open to all possibilities. I'm just fascinated watching the Ben Heck show on YouTube and would love to be able to understand some of the projects he's doing.

     

    Sent from my iPhone

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up 0 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
Children
  • e14 Contributor
    e14 Contributor over 11 years ago in reply to e14 Contributor

    Hi Brian, I am an Electrical Engineer and I think the best way for you to get started is to get yourself an arduino. Programming is simple and alot of projects Ben Heck does can be recreated with this microcontroller. Another simple way is to take apart old computers or printers and such, with these old parts you can test things out on a breadboard. On the breadboard see what happens when you put a capacitor instead of a resistor, or add a potentiometer. Lastly, you should learn as much programming and technical terms as possible. Hope this Helps.

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up 0 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • johnbeetem
    johnbeetem over 11 years ago in reply to e14 Contributor

    Brian Knoll wrote:

     

    I'm so new I don't know what I don't know. I'm really on step zero, so I'm wide open to all possibilities. I'm just fascinated watching the Ben Heck show on YouTube and would love to be able to understand some of the projects he's doing.

     

    Sent from my iPhone

    Paul's question "what do you want to do?" is very appropriate.  Digital logic and digital circuits are very straightforward, because logic gates are unidirectional so it's easy to see the flow through a circuit.  There's a nice "if this, then that" basis to the reasoning.  In analog circuits, everything happens at once and you are put in the position of solving multiple equations with multiple unknowns simultaneously.  This means you need a solid background in algebra, and sometimes calculus.  With digital, you just need logical thinking.  Some people say you "just need to know how to count... to two" image

     

    I just picked up a used copy of Clive "Max" Maxfield's Bebop to the Boolean Boogie -- an Unconventional Guide to Electronics.  From a quick skim, it looks like a very nice way to get started with digital logic and circuits, including understanding electronics at a very basic level.  There are lots of pictures and few equations.  I got my 2nd edition (2003) copy for US$4 plus another $4 shipping.

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +1 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
element14 Community

element14 is the first online community specifically for engineers. Connect with your peers and get expert answers to your questions.

  • Members
  • Learn
  • Technologies
  • Challenges & Projects
  • Products
  • Store
  • About Us
  • Feedback & Support
  • FAQs
  • Terms of Use
  • Privacy Policy
  • Legal and Copyright Notices
  • Sitemap
  • Cookies

An Avnet Company © 2026 Premier Farnell Limited. All Rights Reserved.

Premier Farnell Ltd, registered in England and Wales (no 00876412), registered office: Farnell House, Forge Lane, Leeds LS12 2NE.

Follow element14

  • X
  • Facebook
  • linkedin
  • YouTube