element14 Community
element14 Community
    Register Log In
  • Site
  • Search
  • Log In Register
  • Community Hub
    Community Hub
    • What's New on element14
    • Feedback and Support
    • Benefits of Membership
    • Personal Blogs
    • Members Area
    • Achievement Levels
  • Learn
    Learn
    • Ask an Expert
    • eBooks
    • element14 presents
    • Learning Center
    • Tech Spotlight
    • STEM Academy
    • Webinars, Training and Events
    • Learning Groups
  • Technologies
    Technologies
    • 3D Printing
    • FPGA
    • Industrial Automation
    • Internet of Things
    • Power & Energy
    • Sensors
    • Technology Groups
  • Challenges & Projects
    Challenges & Projects
    • Design Challenges
    • element14 presents Projects
    • Project14
    • Arduino Projects
    • Raspberry Pi Projects
    • Project Groups
  • Products and Partners
    Products and Partners
    • Arduino
    • Avnet & Tria Boards Community
    • Dev Tools
    • Manufacturers
    • Multicomp Pro
    • Product Groups
    • Raspberry Pi
    • RoadTests & Reviews
  • About Us
    About the element14 Community
  • Store
    Store
    • Visit Your Store
    • Choose another store...
      • Europe
      •  Austria (German)
      •  Belgium (Dutch, French)
      •  Bulgaria (Bulgarian)
      •  Czech Republic (Czech)
      •  Denmark (Danish)
      •  Estonia (Estonian)
      •  Finland (Finnish)
      •  France (French)
      •  Germany (German)
      •  Hungary (Hungarian)
      •  Ireland
      •  Israel
      •  Italy (Italian)
      •  Latvia (Latvian)
      •  
      •  Lithuania (Lithuanian)
      •  Netherlands (Dutch)
      •  Norway (Norwegian)
      •  Poland (Polish)
      •  Portugal (Portuguese)
      •  Romania (Romanian)
      •  Russia (Russian)
      •  Slovakia (Slovak)
      •  Slovenia (Slovenian)
      •  Spain (Spanish)
      •  Sweden (Swedish)
      •  Switzerland(German, French)
      •  Turkey (Turkish)
      •  United Kingdom
      • Asia Pacific
      •  Australia
      •  China
      •  Hong Kong
      •  India
      •  Japan
      •  Korea (Korean)
      •  Malaysia
      •  New Zealand
      •  Philippines
      •  Singapore
      •  Taiwan
      •  Thailand (Thai)
      •  Vietnam
      • Americas
      •  Brazil (Portuguese)
      •  Canada
      •  Mexico (Spanish)
      •  United States
      Can't find the country/region you're looking for? Visit our export site or find a local distributor.
  • Translate
  • Profile
  • Settings
Community Hub
Community Hub
Member's Forum Got Any Cool Hacks for an Old Laptop?
  • Blog
  • Forum
  • Documents
  • Quiz
  • Events
  • Leaderboard
  • Polls
  • Files
  • Members
  • Mentions
  • Sub-Groups
  • Tags
  • More
  • Cancel
  • New
Join Community Hub to participate - click to join for free!
Actions
  • Share
  • More
  • Cancel
Forum Thread Details
  • State Suggested Answer
  • Replies 12 replies
  • Answers 4 answers
  • Subscribers 634 subscribers
  • Views 3155 views
  • Users 0 members are here
  • hack
  • computer
  • repair
  • laptop
Related

Got Any Cool Hacks for an Old Laptop?

spannerspencer
spannerspencer over 10 years ago

So, I have an old laptop that's not working any more. I suspect it's the hard drive that's playing up, but the hardware was already out of date enough that it was a sluggish beast anyhow. And the battery's pretty much useless now, too.

 

I'd considered putting a new hard drive in it, and installing one brand or another of Linux on it, or possibly sidestepping the hard drive altogether and running Chromium OS from an SD card.

 

But I don't really have a particular use for a non-portable laptop even if I did these things. I've got more computers than I can use already.

 

Neither do I want to throw it away, because that's just not cricket either. All that lovely hardware must have other uses, right?

 

So I was thinking you guys might have some devilishly cunning projects, hacks, or alternative uses for the laptop, or some combination of its parts.

 

Hit me!

  • Sign in to reply
  • Cancel
Parents
  • shabaz
    0 shabaz over 10 years ago

    Hi Spanner!

     

    If it were me, I'd stick it in a garage, with a music player, and a notepad app and calculator, i.e. just the basics with most Linux desktop installs. Mainly because I always find myself needing a calculator and pen and notepad when DIY'ing, and music would be good too!

    Large text so it can be referred to from a distance, and a clock to see how much time is being wasted..

    To be honest I'm surprised no-one has created a shed distro..

    Also the Pi + capacitive display might be good for this, stuck on a wall to save space.

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +2 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Verify Answer
    • Cancel
Reply
  • shabaz
    0 shabaz over 10 years ago

    Hi Spanner!

     

    If it were me, I'd stick it in a garage, with a music player, and a notepad app and calculator, i.e. just the basics with most Linux desktop installs. Mainly because I always find myself needing a calculator and pen and notepad when DIY'ing, and music would be good too!

    Large text so it can be referred to from a distance, and a clock to see how much time is being wasted..

    To be honest I'm surprised no-one has created a shed distro..

    Also the Pi + capacitive display might be good for this, stuck on a wall to save space.

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +2 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Verify Answer
    • Cancel
Children
  • spannerspencer
    0 spannerspencer over 10 years ago in reply to shabaz

    This is good stuff. I'd been wondering about how to at least make use of it as a screen, or for some basic "always on" function.

     

    I did see a good kitchen hack, where an old laptop was mounted upside down underneath a cabinet, so the screen swung down when you opened it. That could work nicely in a garage or workshop, too.

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up 0 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Verify Answer
    • Cancel
element14 Community

element14 is the first online community specifically for engineers. Connect with your peers and get expert answers to your questions.

  • Members
  • Learn
  • Technologies
  • Challenges & Projects
  • Products
  • Store
  • About Us
  • Feedback & Support
  • FAQs
  • Terms of Use
  • Privacy Policy
  • Legal and Copyright Notices
  • Sitemap
  • Cookies

An Avnet Company © 2026 Premier Farnell Limited. All Rights Reserved.

Premier Farnell Ltd, registered in England and Wales (no 00876412), registered office: Farnell House, Forge Lane, Leeds LS12 2NE.

Follow element14

  • X
  • Facebook
  • linkedin
  • YouTube