element14 Community
element14 Community
    Register Log In
  • Site
  • Search
  • Log In Register
  • Community Hub
    Community Hub
    • What's New on element14
    • Feedback and Support
    • Benefits of Membership
    • Personal Blogs
    • Members Area
    • Achievement Levels
  • Learn
    Learn
    • Ask an Expert
    • eBooks
    • element14 presents
    • Learning Center
    • Tech Spotlight
    • STEM Academy
    • Webinars, Training and Events
    • Learning Groups
  • Technologies
    Technologies
    • 3D Printing
    • FPGA
    • Industrial Automation
    • Internet of Things
    • Power & Energy
    • Sensors
    • Technology Groups
  • Challenges & Projects
    Challenges & Projects
    • Design Challenges
    • element14 presents Projects
    • Project14
    • Arduino Projects
    • Raspberry Pi Projects
    • Project Groups
  • Products and Partners
    Products and Partners
    • Arduino
    • Avnet & Tria Boards Community
    • Dev Tools
    • Manufacturers
    • Multicomp Pro
    • Product Groups
    • Raspberry Pi
    • RoadTests & Reviews
  • About Us
    About the element14 Community
  • Store
    Store
    • Visit Your Store
    • Choose another store...
      • Europe
      •  Austria (German)
      •  Belgium (Dutch, French)
      •  Bulgaria (Bulgarian)
      •  Czech Republic (Czech)
      •  Denmark (Danish)
      •  Estonia (Estonian)
      •  Finland (Finnish)
      •  France (French)
      •  Germany (German)
      •  Hungary (Hungarian)
      •  Ireland
      •  Israel
      •  Italy (Italian)
      •  Latvia (Latvian)
      •  
      •  Lithuania (Lithuanian)
      •  Netherlands (Dutch)
      •  Norway (Norwegian)
      •  Poland (Polish)
      •  Portugal (Portuguese)
      •  Romania (Romanian)
      •  Russia (Russian)
      •  Slovakia (Slovak)
      •  Slovenia (Slovenian)
      •  Spain (Spanish)
      •  Sweden (Swedish)
      •  Switzerland(German, French)
      •  Turkey (Turkish)
      •  United Kingdom
      • Asia Pacific
      •  Australia
      •  China
      •  Hong Kong
      •  India
      •  Japan
      •  Korea (Korean)
      •  Malaysia
      •  New Zealand
      •  Philippines
      •  Singapore
      •  Taiwan
      •  Thailand (Thai)
      •  Vietnam
      • Americas
      •  Brazil (Portuguese)
      •  Canada
      •  Mexico (Spanish)
      •  United States
      Can't find the country/region you're looking for? Visit our export site or find a local distributor.
  • Translate
  • Profile
  • Settings
Community Hub
Community Hub
Member's Forum d_hersey has joined the great background radiation in the sky.
  • Blog
  • Forum
  • Documents
  • Quiz
  • Events
  • Leaderboard
  • Polls
  • Files
  • Members
  • Mentions
  • Sub-Groups
  • Tags
  • More
  • Cancel
  • New
Join Community Hub to participate - click to join for free!
Actions
  • Share
  • More
  • Cancel
Forum Thread Details
  • State Suggested Answer
  • Replies 24 replies
  • Answers 6 answers
  • Subscribers 637 subscribers
  • Views 2351 views
  • Users 0 members are here
Related

d_hersey has joined the great background radiation in the sky.

herseyb
herseyb over 9 years ago

Dear Element14,

 

Is there a suitable sub-forum for this sort of thing?  If so, please move it there.

 

It is with sadness today that I write that my father d_hersey passed away on 4/24/2017 at 57 years of age.

 

I know that he got a lot of enjoyment out of the fellowship of engineers that is fostered here.

 

My dad raised two boys, Nathan Aristotle (live up to that name...)  and (mom named the next kid...)  Donald Benjamin (that's me).  He is survived by his children, grandchildren Demetri and Katie, his 40 year life partner Terri P., brother Charles and sister Jean, and mother Norma. 

 

Due to the circumstances of his personal life, my father was never able to go to college and join the work force as a professional engineer.  While he was raising his children, he would receive trade journals and data sheets to entertain himself with in the mail every day.  Later on, he home schooled us as well.  As one may imagine, being tutored by this man touched on many elements of life.  Electromagnetism being one of them.  During the course of educating his children we both achieved amateur radio licenses by the 8th grade.  (Also shout out to Mr. Edison who ran the ham club, RIP.)

 

He always kept up to date in the engineering world, and we were recently discussing a potential update to the chaos generator project (Nate's old science fair project) and had been working on python scripting our raspberry pi.

 

Because recursive circumstances dictated he be the homemaker, he largely was unable to interact with his peers in engineering, and the personal correspondence sent to him from members here meant the world to him.  He frequently mentioned how great it was to be able to converse with people who share in the joy and art of electronics.

 

Nathan always seemed to gravitate towards the electronics end of things, whereas I have focused on computer science.  I think it is fair to say that Nathan's success as a submariner and beyond was impacted by his homeschooling, and I myself have used many lessons learned in my career in data.

 

Even after we dropped out of homeschooling to settle for careers and girlfriends/marriage, Don still loved to help people learn both in person and here.  The only time he seemed frustrated was when people didn't put in their fair share of research, or were overly pedantic in disagreements - ignoring the scope of the current discussion.  He usually took care to tailor his lessons to the knowledge level of the audience.  He was comfortable in a teaching role in person, especially one based on discourse.  He truly enjoyed the pursuit of knowledge, and had little tolerance for bullies, or the willfully ignorant.

 

There is one major project of ours that I don't possess the skills to complete.  Who knows high voltage around here?  We have electron tubes to spark up if we're going to do the old man's (tbd) memorial service right.  Let me know if you're interested.

 

Specifically, we always planned to port our computer graphics code to render on a pair of oscilloscope tubes, one with slow phosphor and one with fast phosphor.  If anyone can help with the high voltage components I would be exceedingly grateful. Anyone good at switching power supplies around here?

 

I will have to write parametric versions of the rendering functions for the code, but the main library is written in pure c++ and should port to any platform that has nice A2D and D2A converters on it. 

 

Anybody good at programmable logics out there? 

 

My research lately indicates there are a few systems now that will do c++ code natively, complete with real time monitoring of what part of the SW is taking the longest to run.  Recommendations for a suitable Dev Kit would be appreciated.  I'll have to dig out the data sheets on the tubes as we settle affairs.

 

Additionally, he had some really sweet laser cut acrylic polyhedron models he was working on.  If there is any interest in having one, please post a comment with your request in the form of an lesson entitled "The Op-Amp is your friend."  This was an ongoing class in Hersey & Associates home schooling, and it would warm his heart.   Plus, I am still trying to pass that class.

 

I was told Great Grandfather Walker designed mechanical calculation machines for tide analysis, HVAC systems for submarines in WW2, and later worked as an architect.  He tutored my father until his death when my dad was 8 if memory serves.  My father lived on the cutting edge through the transition from electronic analog computation machines to PCs and the internet.  Constructing own antennas, building noise generators, suppressing kick back from turning off a motor... it was a wild ride to learn electronics as his assistant.

 

Now that I don't have him to call up and talk shop with anymore, I'll have to lean harder on you guys so that I can finally graduate.

 

Best wishes to you all,

 

Benjamin Hersey

  • Sign in to reply
  • Cancel
  • herseyb
    0 herseyb over 9 years ago

    Thank you all so much for the kind words. We are incredibly busy of course, but I will follow up on the electronics leads and things soon.

     

    Best,

    Ben

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +2 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Verify Answer
    • Cancel
  • rachaelp
    0 rachaelp over 9 years ago

    Hi Benjamin,

     

    I'm very saddened to hear this news, condolences to you are your family. Your father will be very much missed here on Element14.

     

    Best Wishes,

     

    Rachael

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +1 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Verify Answer
    • Cancel
  • Workshopshed
    0 Workshopshed over 9 years ago

    Thank you for this insight and we'll try to help as we can with your studies and project.

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +1 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Verify Answer
    • Cancel
  • DAB
    0 DAB over 9 years ago

    Deepest condolences to you and your family.

     

    Don will be missed.

     

    DAB

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +1 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Verify Answer
    • Cancel
  • jc2048
    0 jc2048 over 9 years ago

    I'm sorry to hear about your father. I'm fairly new around here, but I quickly learnt that he'd invariably have something interesting to contribute to the blogs on transistors I've been doing. Nice sense of humour too. Thank you for posting this obituary and giving us an insight into his personal background and history.

     

    Jon

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +3 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Verify Answer
    • Cancel
  • balearicdynamics
    0 balearicdynamics over 9 years ago

    Hello Benjamin, I make myself available for all what you need around coding. I don't know the specific environment you need to work on but one of my expertise (just the one I really recognise) is working on unknown systems image. And where I can't there are lot of really good engineers around here, nice collaborative minions that are always helpful in difficulties.

     

    I am seriously interested on the laser cutter, I will be happy to complete if needed and use in the memory of Don. Let me know if it is possible, I can provide shipping worldwide at no cost for you.

     

    BTW: I think that shabaz has an incredibly lucid knowledge and he was one of the first I though when I read your note about the high voltage. Happy that he posted his comment here; as opposite, the high voltage (and low voltage and powering systems too) is one of the fields where my knowledge miss almost totally image

     

    Cheers, Enrico

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +3 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Verify Answer
    • Cancel
  • dougw
    0 dougw over 9 years ago

    Thank you herseyb for sharing these insights into the man behind the formidable forum persona.

    These touching anecdotes will help us to remember him better and miss him more.

    You and your family have our deepest condolences.

    Doug

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +1 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Verify Answer
    • Cancel
  • shabaz
    0 shabaz over 9 years ago

    Hi Benjamin,

     

    I was really saddened to hear this, I'm sorry for your loss. Your dad had an extraordinarily sharp mind, near-encyclopedic knowledge and he was extremely witty, but especially he was kind and always took time to help people. We will always remember him and miss him loads.

     

    I'm not good with oscilloscope tubes (I've never powered one up), but I do have an unused Bertan PMT-20C power supply which can be controlled up to 2kV at 2mA, if you think it will help you're welcome to it, the Jive system here needs both people to send an invite before either one can send messages so if you can do that, or let John have your address to pass to me, he is already connected and could forward the address.

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +3 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Verify Answer
    • Reject Answer
    • Cancel
  • michaelkellett
    0 michaelkellett over 9 years ago

    Really sad to hear that - I enjoyed your Dad's contributions.

     

    MK

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +4 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Verify Answer
    • Cancel
  • balearicdynamics
    0 balearicdynamics over 9 years ago

    Benjamin,

    words are useless in this moment, I see. Here in this community Don posts and comments will stay alive forever giving again good advices to those that have not the luck to know and interact with him as we had. My best condolences.

     

    Enrico

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +4 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Verify Answer
    • Cancel
<>
element14 Community

element14 is the first online community specifically for engineers. Connect with your peers and get expert answers to your questions.

  • Members
  • Learn
  • Technologies
  • Challenges & Projects
  • Products
  • Store
  • About Us
  • Feedback & Support
  • FAQs
  • Terms of Use
  • Privacy Policy
  • Legal and Copyright Notices
  • Sitemap
  • Cookies

An Avnet Company © 2026 Premier Farnell Limited. All Rights Reserved.

Premier Farnell Ltd, registered in England and Wales (no 00876412), registered office: Farnell House, Forge Lane, Leeds LS12 2NE.

Follow element14

  • X
  • Facebook
  • linkedin
  • YouTube