element14 Community
element14 Community
    Register Log In
  • Site
  • Search
  • Log In Register
  • Community Hub
    Community Hub
    • What's New on element14
    • Feedback and Support
    • Benefits of Membership
    • Personal Blogs
    • Members Area
    • Achievement Levels
  • Learn
    Learn
    • Ask an Expert
    • eBooks
    • element14 presents
    • Learning Center
    • Tech Spotlight
    • STEM Academy
    • Webinars, Training and Events
    • Learning Groups
  • Technologies
    Technologies
    • 3D Printing
    • FPGA
    • Industrial Automation
    • Internet of Things
    • Power & Energy
    • Sensors
    • Technology Groups
  • Challenges & Projects
    Challenges & Projects
    • Design Challenges
    • element14 presents Projects
    • Project14
    • Arduino Projects
    • Raspberry Pi Projects
    • Project Groups
  • Products and Partners
    Products and Partners
    • Arduino
    • Avnet & Tria Boards Community
    • Dev Tools
    • Manufacturers
    • Multicomp Pro
    • Product Groups
    • Raspberry Pi
    • RoadTests & Reviews
  • About Us
    About the element14 Community
  • Store
    Store
    • Visit Your Store
    • Choose another store...
      • Europe
      •  Austria (German)
      •  Belgium (Dutch, French)
      •  Bulgaria (Bulgarian)
      •  Czech Republic (Czech)
      •  Denmark (Danish)
      •  Estonia (Estonian)
      •  Finland (Finnish)
      •  France (French)
      •  Germany (German)
      •  Hungary (Hungarian)
      •  Ireland
      •  Israel
      •  Italy (Italian)
      •  Latvia (Latvian)
      •  
      •  Lithuania (Lithuanian)
      •  Netherlands (Dutch)
      •  Norway (Norwegian)
      •  Poland (Polish)
      •  Portugal (Portuguese)
      •  Romania (Romanian)
      •  Russia (Russian)
      •  Slovakia (Slovak)
      •  Slovenia (Slovenian)
      •  Spain (Spanish)
      •  Sweden (Swedish)
      •  Switzerland(German, French)
      •  Turkey (Turkish)
      •  United Kingdom
      • Asia Pacific
      •  Australia
      •  China
      •  Hong Kong
      •  India
      •  Japan
      •  Korea (Korean)
      •  Malaysia
      •  New Zealand
      •  Philippines
      •  Singapore
      •  Taiwan
      •  Thailand (Thai)
      •  Vietnam
      • Americas
      •  Brazil (Portuguese)
      •  Canada
      •  Mexico (Spanish)
      •  United States
      Can't find the country/region you're looking for? Visit our export site or find a local distributor.
  • Translate
  • Profile
  • Settings
Community Hub
Community Hub
Member's Forum Couple of transformer questions
  • Blog
  • Forum
  • Documents
  • Quiz
  • Events
  • Leaderboard
  • Polls
  • Files
  • Members
  • Mentions
  • Sub-Groups
  • Tags
  • More
  • Cancel
  • New
Join Community Hub to participate - click to join for free!
Actions
  • Share
  • More
  • Cancel
Forum Thread Details
  • State Suggested Answer
  • Replies 8 replies
  • Answers 6 answers
  • Subscribers 631 subscribers
  • Views 1150 views
  • Users 0 members are here
  • bench power supply
  • transformer
Related

Couple of transformer questions

Andrew J
Andrew J over 7 years ago

I'm looking at building a bench power supply following Peter's excellent tutorials on this and have a couple of questions on sourcing a transformer (maybe 2):

 

1) I want to be able to provide a 30V DC rail and a 12V DC rail and I'd assumed that it must be possible to find a transformer that could provide different tappings to achieve this.  I suspect I'm either not looking in the right place or asking the wrong questions of the search engines.  I have find a couple that would provide, say, 0 - 6/13/18/26Vac but these seem to be a single secondary, i.e. it isn't tapped to provide both a 13V (say) and 26V.  Could someone point me in the right direction in tracking something down - I'm not asking you to do the work for me of course.  If I'm asking the impossible, I suppose a suitable approach would be to build it with two transformers?

 

2) Based on your experience, would I be right in thinking that something like a 25Vac secondary would provide me with enough headroom for 30Vdc.  My thinking is that 25Vac is RMS so pre-rectification I could be looking at 25x1.414 = 35.35v; post-rectification with a voltage drop of, say, 1v = 34.35v, then as long as further voltage drops through transistors etc is controlled (in that, I don't believe I will be pushing through enough of them to cause 4v drop) I could achieve 30V?

 

I would be happy to build this up in stages and do the necessary testing at each stage but I am hoping to not waste bucks on buying something and finding that I needed something a smidgen more powerful!

 

Thanks,

 

Andrew

  • Sign in to reply
  • Cancel
Parents
  • three-phase
    0 three-phase over 7 years ago

    Hello Andrew,

     

    There are a couple of ways to approach this dependent upon what the load / isolation requirements are for the supply.

     

    You can use a transformer with a 30V secondary and use a DC converter / regulator to then drop down to the 12V, but this will dissipate a fair bit of waste heat. There may even be options out there to use a 12V secondary and boost up to the 30V with a DC booster circuit. There are plenty of voltage regulator modules available on eBay, jus search for the desired voltage output and select one with an input range to suit.

     

    Example 12V regulator / buck booster

     

    You could use a transformer with a 15 - 0 -15 output and leave the two secondaries in series. The 30V is then achieved across both secondaries and then tap off the 15V from one of the secondaries. Both voltages would require regulating and you will need to ensure that the transformer VA rating is sufficient for both supplies.

     

    Example 15 - 0 -15 transformer

     

    With regard to the voltage rating and achieving the voltage output, that will depend upon the transformer rating relative to the load you put on it. At full load, the transformer will be designed to give out the rated voltage. At low loads this will rise and may cause damage to the circuit if not regulated against. if you use a transformer that has a higher VA rating than required, then the voltage drop will be less and you will be achieve a higher voltage output.

     

    Whilst with bridge rectification and smoothing capacitors you can achieve a low load DC voltage greater than the nominal rating, up to the peak voltage level, as the transformer reaches full load, you will find that this will start to drop off.

     

    Full wave rectifier tutorial

     

    I am sure a few on here, with more experience than I,  could provide some alternative solutions / products.

     

    Kind regards

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +6 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Verify Answer
    • Reject Answer
    • Cancel
Reply
  • three-phase
    0 three-phase over 7 years ago

    Hello Andrew,

     

    There are a couple of ways to approach this dependent upon what the load / isolation requirements are for the supply.

     

    You can use a transformer with a 30V secondary and use a DC converter / regulator to then drop down to the 12V, but this will dissipate a fair bit of waste heat. There may even be options out there to use a 12V secondary and boost up to the 30V with a DC booster circuit. There are plenty of voltage regulator modules available on eBay, jus search for the desired voltage output and select one with an input range to suit.

     

    Example 12V regulator / buck booster

     

    You could use a transformer with a 15 - 0 -15 output and leave the two secondaries in series. The 30V is then achieved across both secondaries and then tap off the 15V from one of the secondaries. Both voltages would require regulating and you will need to ensure that the transformer VA rating is sufficient for both supplies.

     

    Example 15 - 0 -15 transformer

     

    With regard to the voltage rating and achieving the voltage output, that will depend upon the transformer rating relative to the load you put on it. At full load, the transformer will be designed to give out the rated voltage. At low loads this will rise and may cause damage to the circuit if not regulated against. if you use a transformer that has a higher VA rating than required, then the voltage drop will be less and you will be achieve a higher voltage output.

     

    Whilst with bridge rectification and smoothing capacitors you can achieve a low load DC voltage greater than the nominal rating, up to the peak voltage level, as the transformer reaches full load, you will find that this will start to drop off.

     

    Full wave rectifier tutorial

     

    I am sure a few on here, with more experience than I,  could provide some alternative solutions / products.

     

    Kind regards

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +6 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Verify Answer
    • Reject Answer
    • Cancel
Children
  • Andrew J
    0 Andrew J over 7 years ago in reply to three-phase

    Thanks Donald,

     

    I think in respect to providing the two rails, I had thought about tapping off one of the secondary windings but I may have been overthinking it (as per usual for me!) I can use a transformer, say 15-0-15 in series to provide the main power out, and hook up something like a PCB mount AC/DC PSU (example: https://uk.farnell.com/mean-well/irm-03-12/power-supply-ac-dc-12v-0-25a/dp/2815483).  That way I can provide the AC to both but keep them isolated; only the transformer needs rectifying plus the AC/DC PSU is regulated.  They're a reasonable price but I thought it should be possible to get a transformer that would have a high and low secondary windings, however I think keeping it simple has a lot going for it!

     

    Power management was/is one of the concerns, and dropping from a high voltage down to 12v, even at low milliamps, could still be 4-5 watts, so this would seem to win on that score too.

     

    What do you think?

     

    That tutorial is very interesting and useful.  I do have some understanding of rectification but that really cements it more.

     

    Thanks,

     

    Andrew

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +6 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Verify Answer
    • Reject Answer
    • Cancel
element14 Community

element14 is the first online community specifically for engineers. Connect with your peers and get expert answers to your questions.

  • Members
  • Learn
  • Technologies
  • Challenges & Projects
  • Products
  • Store
  • About Us
  • Feedback & Support
  • FAQs
  • Terms of Use
  • Privacy Policy
  • Legal and Copyright Notices
  • Sitemap
  • Cookies

An Avnet Company © 2026 Premier Farnell Limited. All Rights Reserved.

Premier Farnell Ltd, registered in England and Wales (no 00876412), registered office: Farnell House, Forge Lane, Leeds LS12 2NE.

Follow element14

  • X
  • Facebook
  • linkedin
  • YouTube