element14 Community
element14 Community
    Register Log In
  • Site
  • Search
  • Log In Register
  • Community Hub
    Community Hub
    • What's New on element14
    • Feedback and Support
    • Benefits of Membership
    • Personal Blogs
    • Members Area
    • Achievement Levels
  • Learn
    Learn
    • Ask an Expert
    • eBooks
    • element14 presents
    • Learning Center
    • Tech Spotlight
    • STEM Academy
    • Webinars, Training and Events
    • Learning Groups
  • Technologies
    Technologies
    • 3D Printing
    • FPGA
    • Industrial Automation
    • Internet of Things
    • Power & Energy
    • Sensors
    • Technology Groups
  • Challenges & Projects
    Challenges & Projects
    • Design Challenges
    • element14 presents Projects
    • Project14
    • Arduino Projects
    • Raspberry Pi Projects
    • Project Groups
  • Products and Partners
    Products and Partners
    • Arduino
    • Avnet & Tria Boards Community
    • Dev Tools
    • Manufacturers
    • Multicomp Pro
    • Product Groups
    • Raspberry Pi
    • RoadTests & Reviews
  • About Us
    About the element14 Community
  • Store
    Store
    • Visit Your Store
    • Choose another store...
      • Europe
      •  Austria (German)
      •  Belgium (Dutch, French)
      •  Bulgaria (Bulgarian)
      •  Czech Republic (Czech)
      •  Denmark (Danish)
      •  Estonia (Estonian)
      •  Finland (Finnish)
      •  France (French)
      •  Germany (German)
      •  Hungary (Hungarian)
      •  Ireland
      •  Israel
      •  Italy (Italian)
      •  Latvia (Latvian)
      •  
      •  Lithuania (Lithuanian)
      •  Netherlands (Dutch)
      •  Norway (Norwegian)
      •  Poland (Polish)
      •  Portugal (Portuguese)
      •  Romania (Romanian)
      •  Russia (Russian)
      •  Slovakia (Slovak)
      •  Slovenia (Slovenian)
      •  Spain (Spanish)
      •  Sweden (Swedish)
      •  Switzerland(German, French)
      •  Turkey (Turkish)
      •  United Kingdom
      • Asia Pacific
      •  Australia
      •  China
      •  Hong Kong
      •  India
      •  Japan
      •  Korea (Korean)
      •  Malaysia
      •  New Zealand
      •  Philippines
      •  Singapore
      •  Taiwan
      •  Thailand (Thai)
      •  Vietnam
      • Americas
      •  Brazil (Portuguese)
      •  Canada
      •  Mexico (Spanish)
      •  United States
      Can't find the country/region you're looking for? Visit our export site or find a local distributor.
  • Translate
  • Profile
  • Settings
Community Hub
Community Hub
Member's Forum ORIGIN IOT
  • Blog
  • Forum
  • Documents
  • Quiz
  • Events
  • Leaderboard
  • Polls
  • Files
  • Members
  • Mentions
  • Sub-Groups
  • Tags
  • More
  • Cancel
  • New
Join Community Hub to participate - click to join for free!
Actions
  • Share
  • More
  • Cancel
Forum Thread Details
  • State Not Answered
  • Replies 5 replies
  • Subscribers 631 subscribers
  • Views 886 views
  • Users 0 members are here
  • developmentkits
  • originiot
Related

ORIGIN IOT

auspidermonkey
auspidermonkey over 6 years ago

Hi,

 

Not sure this is the right group, I'm new and still figuring out the structure here. If it is in the wrong let me know and I can delete.

 

I was wondering if anyone has used the Origin IoT (https://origingps.com/originiot/iot/) development kit before? I have been in talks with them and just wondering if it is what they're saying it is.

 

Cheers


Dave

  • Sign in to reply
  • Cancel
Parents
  • shabaz
    0 shabaz over 6 years ago

    Hi David,

     

    I've not heard of them, but there are plenty of other IoT offerings that are currently more well-known and mature. What's the use-case? Also, is it to be an Industrial or business or consumer product? What connectivity is needed, mobile, or WLAN?

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up 0 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Verify Answer
    • Cancel
  • auspidermonkey
    0 auspidermonkey over 6 years ago in reply to shabaz

    Hey Shabaz,

     

    Thanks for the reply. They're big in GPS and quite good quality; I was looking for a GPS chip and I came across their IoT offering which has majority of sensors I need included (9 axis IMU, Pressure, Temp, charge control/fuel gauge, etc). While they do have GSM included in their set I don't require it. It does have one of their high end GPS chips so can ignore that for now.

     

    Use case will be a consumer product diving computer of sorts (GPS for entry exit points only). I will attempt to use the IMU for underwater tracking as an idea down the line, for now compass will be the main active sensor. I am missing Bluetooth from this setup so will require it to sync with a smart device/computer.

     

    Cheers

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up 0 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Verify Answer
    • Cancel
  • shabaz
    0 shabaz over 6 years ago in reply to auspidermonkey

    Hi David,

     

    If you don't need mobile (cellular) connectivity then another option to use a different device. I don't see anything compelling about using a board from an unfamiliar supplier, for which you might not find much example demo code (I'm speculating, could be totally wrong).

    If you're looking for something ready-made I don't think you'll find an all-in-one, otherwise you can assemble it from several boards or chips.

    For a board-level option, you could examine TI Sensortag, which has about 10 sensors on it and Bluetooth LE. It is missing GPS, but that's easy to attach using (say) a serial interface. There are some GPS modules here: https://www.newark.com/w/c/wireless-modules-adaptors/prl/results?st=gps

    If you want a chip-level solution to build your own custom boards, you can explore the documentation of the TI Sensortag (the documentation contains schematics and bill-of-materials and so on). If you need a fuel gauge then Maxim semiconductor website has some ICs that could help (will need to be assembled into a circuit, they may have ready-made eval boards, but it sounds like you need it to meet some size constraints at a minimum, if not other constraints too if it is to be used underwater, so a custom board is likely needed anyway). Some things may not work well underwater incidentally, e.g. radio-related.

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up 0 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Verify Answer
    • Cancel
  • auspidermonkey
    0 auspidermonkey over 6 years ago in reply to shabaz

    https://www.ti.com/product/CC2652R?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=epd-con-null-cc2652r-cpc-pf-google-wwe&…

     

    I have been talking to TI about their BT SoC and this could be the other route I go with individual chips etc.

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up 0 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Verify Answer
    • Cancel
Reply
  • auspidermonkey
    0 auspidermonkey over 6 years ago in reply to shabaz

    https://www.ti.com/product/CC2652R?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=epd-con-null-cc2652r-cpc-pf-google-wwe&…

     

    I have been talking to TI about their BT SoC and this could be the other route I go with individual chips etc.

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up 0 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Verify Answer
    • Cancel
Children
No Data
element14 Community

element14 is the first online community specifically for engineers. Connect with your peers and get expert answers to your questions.

  • Members
  • Learn
  • Technologies
  • Challenges & Projects
  • Products
  • Store
  • About Us
  • Feedback & Support
  • FAQs
  • Terms of Use
  • Privacy Policy
  • Legal and Copyright Notices
  • Sitemap
  • Cookies

An Avnet Company © 2026 Premier Farnell Limited. All Rights Reserved.

Premier Farnell Ltd, registered in England and Wales (no 00876412), registered office: Farnell House, Forge Lane, Leeds LS12 2NE.

Follow element14

  • X
  • Facebook
  • linkedin
  • YouTube