element14 Community
element14 Community
    Register Log In
  • Site
  • Search
  • Log In Register
  • Community Hub
    Community Hub
    • What's New on element14
    • Feedback and Support
    • Benefits of Membership
    • Personal Blogs
    • Members Area
    • Achievement Levels
  • Learn
    Learn
    • Ask an Expert
    • eBooks
    • element14 presents
    • Learning Center
    • Tech Spotlight
    • STEM Academy
    • Webinars, Training and Events
    • Learning Groups
  • Technologies
    Technologies
    • 3D Printing
    • FPGA
    • Industrial Automation
    • Internet of Things
    • Power & Energy
    • Sensors
    • Technology Groups
  • Challenges & Projects
    Challenges & Projects
    • Design Challenges
    • element14 presents Projects
    • Project14
    • Arduino Projects
    • Raspberry Pi Projects
    • Project Groups
  • Products & Partners
    Products & Partners
    • Arduino
    • Avnet & Tria Boards Community
    • Dev Tools
    • Manufacturers
    • Multicomp Pro
    • Product Groups
    • Raspberry Pi
    • RoadTests & Reviews
  • About Us
    About the element14 Community
  • Store
    Store
    • Visit Your Store
    • Choose another store...
      • Europe
      •  Austria (German)
      •  Belgium (Dutch, French)
      •  Bulgaria (Bulgarian)
      •  Czech Republic (Czech)
      •  Denmark (Danish)
      •  Estonia (Estonian)
      •  Finland (Finnish)
      •  France (French)
      •  Germany (German)
      •  Hungary (Hungarian)
      •  Ireland
      •  Israel
      •  Italy (Italian)
      •  Latvia (Latvian)
      •  
      •  Lithuania (Lithuanian)
      •  Netherlands (Dutch)
      •  Norway (Norwegian)
      •  Poland (Polish)
      •  Portugal (Portuguese)
      •  Romania (Romanian)
      •  Russia (Russian)
      •  Slovakia (Slovak)
      •  Slovenia (Slovenian)
      •  Spain (Spanish)
      •  Sweden (Swedish)
      •  Switzerland(German, French)
      •  Turkey (Turkish)
      •  United Kingdom
      • Asia Pacific
      •  Australia
      •  China
      •  Hong Kong
      •  India
      •  Japan
      •  Korea (Korean)
      •  Malaysia
      •  New Zealand
      •  Philippines
      •  Singapore
      •  Taiwan
      •  Thailand (Thai)
      •  Vietnam
      • Americas
      •  Brazil (Portuguese)
      •  Canada
      •  Mexico (Spanish)
      •  United States
      Can't find the country/region you're looking for? Visit our export site or find a local distributor.
  • Translate
  • Profile
  • Settings
Community Hub
Community Hub
Member's Forum Starter kit
  • Blog
  • Forum
  • Documents
  • Quiz
  • Events
  • Leaderboard
  • Polls
  • Files
  • Members
  • Mentions
  • Sub-Groups
  • Tags
  • More
  • Cancel
  • New
Join Community Hub to participate - click to join for free!
Actions
  • Share
  • More
  • Cancel
Forum Thread Details
  • State Verified Answer
  • Replies 5 replies
  • Answers 2 answers
  • Subscribers 631 subscribers
  • Views 924 views
  • Users 0 members are here
  • starter
Related

Starter kit

krioux
krioux over 11 years ago

What would be a good starter kit for a new maker. Considering parts and tools?  Everytime I want to try a new project, I am lacking the parts or the tools to get it started.  How did you guys got started.

  • Sign in to reply
  • Cancel
Parents
  • jw0752
    0 jw0752 over 11 years ago

    Hi Karl, It takes time to accumulate enough parts so that you do not have to place an order every time you do a new build. Some things like resistors and caps are cheap enough to just stock up a bunch of different values. If I am going to start into a book I look it over first and make a list of the components that will be needed for the experiments I plan to run. Then I will place an order ahead of time. Often if I need one part I will order 3 or 4 for future needs. I also salvage a lot of parts from old circuit boards. Despite my best plans I am constantly having to place small orders to fill in gaps and needs. The next step is to have a good plan of organization so you can find the part when the time comes to use it. I keep a list of the non-trivial parts that I have in Xcel. Each part number is followed by a description and then a location in my bins. This way I can search the Xcel file and then go right to the proper bin. The prepackaged beginners kits are ok too and depending on where you get them can even be a pretty good bargain. For me collecting the parts and organizing them is part of the fun of electronics.

    John

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +2 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Verify Answer
    • Reject Answer
    • Cancel
Reply
  • jw0752
    0 jw0752 over 11 years ago

    Hi Karl, It takes time to accumulate enough parts so that you do not have to place an order every time you do a new build. Some things like resistors and caps are cheap enough to just stock up a bunch of different values. If I am going to start into a book I look it over first and make a list of the components that will be needed for the experiments I plan to run. Then I will place an order ahead of time. Often if I need one part I will order 3 or 4 for future needs. I also salvage a lot of parts from old circuit boards. Despite my best plans I am constantly having to place small orders to fill in gaps and needs. The next step is to have a good plan of organization so you can find the part when the time comes to use it. I keep a list of the non-trivial parts that I have in Xcel. Each part number is followed by a description and then a location in my bins. This way I can search the Xcel file and then go right to the proper bin. The prepackaged beginners kits are ok too and depending on where you get them can even be a pretty good bargain. For me collecting the parts and organizing them is part of the fun of electronics.

    John

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +2 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Verify Answer
    • Reject Answer
    • Cancel
Children
  • krioux
    0 krioux over 11 years ago in reply to jw0752

    Great reply, I think  you are right, starting with resistors and capacitors is a good way to start. I have never scavendged parts  cause I always felt technology is moving to fast and IC. Lately my washer dryer broke down and I want to scavenge them for relays, motors and everything that might be worth it.

     

    I guess my next step is to find efficient storage bins and order some resistor and capacitor kits to fill them with. About the beginners kit, do you have some examples, cause it seems we can only find arduino sensors kits these days.

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up 0 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Verify Answer
    • Cancel
element14 Community

element14 is the first online community specifically for engineers. Connect with your peers and get expert answers to your questions.

  • Members
  • Learn
  • Technologies
  • Challenges & Projects
  • Products
  • Store
  • About Us
  • Feedback & Support
  • FAQs
  • Terms of Use
  • Privacy Policy
  • Legal and Copyright Notices
  • Sitemap
  • Cookies

An Avnet Company © 2026 Premier Farnell Limited. All Rights Reserved.

Premier Farnell Ltd, registered in England and Wales (no 00876412), registered office: Farnell House, Forge Lane, Leeds LS12 2NE.

Follow element14

  • X
  • Facebook
  • linkedin
  • YouTube