Hello community of the Element14 website!
A friend and I are doing a hypothesis which is what people think DIY is valuable for?
My friend and I would appreciate you guys to give up some answers! Thank you in advance!
Hello community of the Element14 website!
A friend and I are doing a hypothesis which is what people think DIY is valuable for?
My friend and I would appreciate you guys to give up some answers! Thank you in advance!
Sounds like someone needs to read "A Mote in God's Eye" by Larry Niven, paying special attention to the Engineer and the Watchmaker caste. The Mote in God's Eye | Project Gutenberg Self-Publishing - eBooks | Read eBooks online
To me, DIY is how we learn how to make things better. It is at the very root of invention. Without it, we wouldn't have many of the luxuries that we as a society have grown accustomed to.
As an example, just because Mr. Coffee makes a coffee machine, do we have to settle for a whole pot complete with burnt sludge on the bottom? Why stop there? No! DIY and invention provide us with a single brew cup Kuerig. Keurig - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Now, if you read "A Mote in God's Eye" you will find that maybe there is even better way to make coffee.
DIY is progress, but that is not to say that DIY cannot be costly, wasteful and self serving. Sometimes, one is best served by relying on what exists and not reinventing the wheel. I for one, would rather try though, besides it feels good to make things with my mind and my hands.
Don't forget that Jerry Pournelle wrote the book with Larry.
But I do agree about the type casting issue. When you are forced into a single dimension, your creativity suffers greatly.
DAB
Yea, I am a big Niven Fan as well.
Loved his Ringworld series.
DAB