Hi All,
Longtime reader/fan of Ben's show, first time writer.
Some observations I have on the "Ben Heck Show" and some ideas to possibly 'save' it.
I've been watching Ben's show's since the 'Golden Era' of 5 years ago'ish when Engadget would virtually post
a new article monthly on Ben's latest inventions/hacks.
However, one few I've noticed:
- The youtube 'ratings' for Ben's Show's are really low. Most youtube celebrities get 200-500K or more views per new vid,
Ben's lucky if he breaks 30K.
- Is it just me, or is the novelty of what Ben doing becoming redundant? We basically 'got it' as to how now to make
a portable gaming system/etc. He now seems to be going over the same ideas again.
- What I loved about the older Ben show's, he basically just got to the point and gave me the straight dope. Now
I need to fast forward through the first 1-2 minutes of very awkward 'sketches' at the top. I know this is done
to try and engage the viewer...but it's just not working, and from the ratings? I'm not alone.
I just think there's other youtube celebrities who can do click-bait vids of them dancing in their jammies...Ben can't compete with that.
All that said, with the 'Golden Era" of youtube dead, is Ben Heck still relevant for the 'next generation' of the 'maker' community?
I think it's time:
- End the "Ben Heck Show". Sad to see it go, but I think all what Ben can do, has been done.
- Find a new/real challenge for Ben. Something that really can test his abilities as an engineer/hacker, and can fill a genuine requirement
outside of a trivial pursuit. The guy is incredibly talented, I just would like to see a real/true challenge thrown at him for once.
Some ideas:
- A low cost/portable highly accurate MRI scanner. These devices are simply too expensive and holding back crucial care. Be great if these devices
were portable, cheap and with better software...more accurate. Imagine a medical professional having one that can fit in the truck of his/her car, and driving
from town to town offering cheap MRI's? In lots of small towns, people with medical issues need to travel great distances just to get an hour
with an MRI machine.
- A portable construction 3D printer with a full-on integrated CAD environment, can fit in the back of a pickup truck: Primarily for city repair.
So many times I'd see city workers doing cement/asphalt based jobs, but in an incredibly menial/archaic manner. The city worker would install a wooden scaffold, fill it with cement...and
in a day or so, remouve it. What if a 3D printer/machine could be wheeled on site, it can 'scan' the environment (making a 3D model), the engineer can quickly 'drag-drop' solutions
for what needs to be done (fix a pothole, install a new road curb, repair damaged concrete, build a new stairway)...and a 3D/cement based solution can be quickly figured out.
With fast drying cement: Printed right onto the problem area. As soon as it's done printing, the machine can be folded up and wheeled back onto the truck.
- A desktop sewing machine for the masses. People simply don't know how to sew anymore, and current sewing machines really require skill/talent. Even the threading/spools
is a bit baffling. Be great if there was a desktop sewing machine which you can simply feed put the fabric you want sewn, install filament spools easily (like ink cartridges),
the machine can scan the material, you can drag/drop the type of stitch/sews you want onto the items. From Cosplayers to people wanting to rapid prototype a new fashion look/design. Also, going back to the medical theme: Hospitals would be able to rapidly 'print' customized post-surgical clothing/slings for people with missing limbs.
The challenge here of course is for Ben to basically re-invent the sewing machine from scratch.
Feel free to throw in your own 'insane challenges' for Ben to possibly tackle. Something beyond a 'better portable gaming' device.
Thanks for reading this.