element14 Community
element14 Community
    Register Log In
  • Site
  • Search
  • Log In Register
  • Community Hub
    Community Hub
    • What's New on element14
    • Feedback and Support
    • Benefits of Membership
    • Personal Blogs
    • Members Area
    • Achievement Levels
  • Learn
    Learn
    • Ask an Expert
    • eBooks
    • element14 presents
    • Learning Center
    • Tech Spotlight
    • STEM Academy
    • Webinars, Training and Events
    • Learning Groups
  • Technologies
    Technologies
    • 3D Printing
    • FPGA
    • Industrial Automation
    • Internet of Things
    • Power & Energy
    • Sensors
    • Technology Groups
  • Challenges & Projects
    Challenges & Projects
    • Design Challenges
    • element14 presents Projects
    • Project14
    • Arduino Projects
    • Raspberry Pi Projects
    • Project Groups
  • Products and Partners
    Products and Partners
    • Arduino
    • Avnet & Tria Boards Community
    • Dev Tools
    • Manufacturers
    • Multicomp Pro
    • Product Groups
    • Raspberry Pi
    • RoadTests & Reviews
  • About Us
    About the element14 Community
  • Store
    Store
    • Visit Your Store
    • Choose another store...
      • Europe
      •  Austria (German)
      •  Belgium (Dutch, French)
      •  Bulgaria (Bulgarian)
      •  Czech Republic (Czech)
      •  Denmark (Danish)
      •  Estonia (Estonian)
      •  Finland (Finnish)
      •  France (French)
      •  Germany (German)
      •  Hungary (Hungarian)
      •  Ireland
      •  Israel
      •  Italy (Italian)
      •  Latvia (Latvian)
      •  
      •  Lithuania (Lithuanian)
      •  Netherlands (Dutch)
      •  Norway (Norwegian)
      •  Poland (Polish)
      •  Portugal (Portuguese)
      •  Romania (Romanian)
      •  Russia (Russian)
      •  Slovakia (Slovak)
      •  Slovenia (Slovenian)
      •  Spain (Spanish)
      •  Sweden (Swedish)
      •  Switzerland(German, French)
      •  Turkey (Turkish)
      •  United Kingdom
      • Asia Pacific
      •  Australia
      •  China
      •  Hong Kong
      •  India
      •  Japan
      •  Korea (Korean)
      •  Malaysia
      •  New Zealand
      •  Philippines
      •  Singapore
      •  Taiwan
      •  Thailand (Thai)
      •  Vietnam
      • Americas
      •  Brazil (Portuguese)
      •  Canada
      •  Mexico (Spanish)
      •  United States
      Can't find the country/region you're looking for? Visit our export site or find a local distributor.
  • Translate
  • Profile
  • Settings
Community Hub
Community Hub
Member's Forum What Do You Do With Your Projects When You Have Finished Them?
  • Blog
  • Forum
  • Documents
  • Quiz
  • Events
  • Leaderboard
  • Polls
  • Files
  • Members
  • Mentions
  • Sub-Groups
  • Tags
  • More
  • Cancel
  • New
Join Community Hub to participate - click to join for free!
Actions
  • Share
  • More
  • Cancel
Forum Thread Details
  • Replies 24 replies
  • Subscribers 635 subscribers
  • Views 2138 views
  • Users 0 members are here
Related

What Do You Do With Your Projects When You Have Finished Them?

rscasny
rscasny over 8 years ago

Since I've been with element14, it's been fun to watch our members report on the projects they have accomplished. It's even more fun to read what members think or react to other members' projects. And some of the projects you dream up are really quite clever. I would hate to think that after you did a project, they just ended up on a shelf gathering dust. So, I'm curious...image

 

What happens to your project builds (prototypes) after you build them?image

 

My guess is that some of the projects actually are being used or may end up as a product on kickstarter? I have corresponded with a few members who said they are actually trying to build something they can sell.

 

I also have a hunch that some of the projects are personal labs, that is, learning experiences because they plan on entering a certain field or industry where your project experience gives you some hands-on skills.

 

If you don't mind me asking you directly, what happens to your projects? If you have the time, share your specific comments or stories below. Thanks

 

  • Sign in to reply
  • Cancel
  • neilk
    neilk over 8 years ago

    I came back to electronics & coding, after an absence of many years, when I read about the Arduino and soon after discovered and joined  Element14.

     

    All of my projects have arisen because I have read something and thought "I wonder if I could do that and if I could, maybe I could then......"

     

    I have learned a great deal by experimenting and making things work. Some of my efforts have been written up in my Blog, but many have not, usually because I have moved on to another idea and don't want to spend the time writing something up.

     

    Almost everything has been dismantled and the components recycled, although a few small modules have survived and been used in later projects.

     

    Element14 has been and is a great place to hang-out, share ideas, ask questions and help other people.

     

    Neil

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +6 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • fmilburn
    fmilburn over 8 years ago in reply to ntewinkel

    Hi Nico,

     

    There are always reasons why one should not pursue monetization of an idea.  An entrepreneur’s  job is to decide if there are enough good reasons that they should. Obstacles can be addressed if that is the case.  I am quite proud of my modest “real“ product that was good enough for someone else to want to buy.  It is a good thing I don’t need to rely on it for income though.  image  if you think it is worthwhile, believe in yourself and start small if needed.

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +6 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • Jan Cumps
    Jan Cumps over 8 years ago in reply to ntewinkel

    MMMhh - I suspect there's not too much joy to be had with the exercise.

    That's like a hobby where nothing is fun image.

    A bootstrapped business however, where you make as you get orders, may be more satisfying.
    Don't let this stop you.

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +6 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • 14rhb
    14rhb over 8 years ago in reply to ntewinkel

    Nico,

     

    Don't be put off if the idea is good image. However I'd recommend some indemnity insurance just in case something goes disastrously wrong once you've sold it and consumers bring a legal case against you.

     

    Maybe it is easier to sell a kit in terms of not having to tick all the certifications?

     

    Rod

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +6 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • ntewinkel
    ntewinkel over 8 years ago in reply to ntewinkel

    ps, to answer the other part...

    >My guess is that some of the projects actually are being used or may end up as a product on kickstarter?

     

    I do have one project I'm considering expanding to be Kickstarter worthy, but I'm not sure yet. It would mainly be for the purpose of fulfilling a dream of creating a project that turns into a "real" product.

     

    There are so many details to deal with though - including mass manufacturing of not just the electronics, but also the specialized hardware.

    And also, how does one deal with certifications? and what about liability risks associated with selling a product? It seems I would need to spend a fair bit to set up a corporation first, pay for prototypes and certifications, and start manufacturing.

     

    -Nico

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +6 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • ntewinkel
    ntewinkel over 8 years ago

    Most of my earlier past projects were temporary and on breadboards, intended just for a learning experience.

    Those were all disassembled shortly after completion.

     

    One of my first projects that actually stuck around and received regular use is my greenhouse controller - I had big plans for data logging and watering control, but ran into silly issues with wires being too long and Bluetooth range too short, so this eventually got whittled down to being just a timer to regularly water the greenhouse. I think it started with an Arduino Nano, then went down to a Pro Mini, and now it's a tiny little Digispark controlling it. I'll probably switch that over to ESP8266 soon.

     

    What I consider my turn-around project is my OpenSprinkler controller. It plays an important full-time role and runs for most of the year. I think after I built this my wife realized there was some real potential in this nerdy hobby I have image  It saved us nearly $1000 over purchasing "the usual". OpenSprinkler.org deserves most of the credit of course, as the software was already built, and the schematics were all there. I modified the schematics to suit my specific setup, and to add a bit of extra safety. This was also my first custom PCB and my first intro into switching AC.

    It runs on a Raspberry Pi, and makes my sprinkler control so much more convenient, using my smartphone now.

    image

     

    Recently I've also built a tiny WiFi temperature sensor and data logger that will likely be used for various different purposes - greenhouse in the summer, trailer, shed, and hummingbird feeders in the winter. I'll continue improving the data handling for this.

    In the picture it's that thing in the tic-tac container.

    image

    I might have to do something about all those wires image

     

    Cheers,

    -Nico

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +7 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • genebren
    genebren over 8 years ago

    Most of my projects start out as a deliverable prototype for a customer.  As I am designing these, I will usually see a potential usage for a completely different function/project.  When ordering boards and parts, I will get enough for five devices, two deliverable prototypes, one debug/test unit and two additional units for future tests/prototypes.  One of my recent customer builds turned into a handy tool for sending/receiving I2C commands for logging/viewing bus activity (not it's intended function, but still a handy device for testing).

     

    Gene

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +5 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • rsc
    rsc over 8 years ago

    Ahhh, yes, yes, yes, yes, and.......

    Yes.

    This prototype mbed weather station I keep on my desk to show people.

    image

    image

    Scott

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +10 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • danielw
    danielw over 8 years ago

    Like everyone else some projects are still in use: 3d Bodge-o-matic printer, Pi temperature monitor are but two of the relatively few successes!

     

    Some of my tinkerings broke and are awaiting a repair that will probably never happen.  To be fair they stopped working for a reason, generally they were hastily and poorly cobbled together to see if it would work in the heat of the moment.

     

    Others got stripped for parts for other bodge job projects, which is probably what will happen to the things in the repair box. At least, due to their generally poor construction methods, they come apart and are re-purposed relatively easily!.

     

    I do have some parts kept for use in demonstrations when I used to do some careers stuff in school.  At the moment I can't bring myself to get rid or pass the stuff on so it's just taking up space.

     

    Dan.

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +7 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • lexbryan
    lexbryan over 8 years ago

    mine got dismantled and used on other projects.

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +5 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
>
element14 Community

element14 is the first online community specifically for engineers. Connect with your peers and get expert answers to your questions.

  • Members
  • Learn
  • Technologies
  • Challenges & Projects
  • Products
  • Store
  • About Us
  • Feedback & Support
  • FAQs
  • Terms of Use
  • Privacy Policy
  • Legal and Copyright Notices
  • Sitemap
  • Cookies

An Avnet Company © 2026 Premier Farnell Limited. All Rights Reserved.

Premier Farnell Ltd, registered in England and Wales (no 00876412), registered office: Farnell House, Forge Lane, Leeds LS12 2NE.

Follow element14

  • X
  • Facebook
  • linkedin
  • YouTube