element14 Community
element14 Community
    Register Log In
  • Site
  • Search
  • Log In Register
  • Community Hub
    Community Hub
    • What's New on element14
    • Feedback and Support
    • Benefits of Membership
    • Personal Blogs
    • Members Area
    • Achievement Levels
  • Learn
    Learn
    • Ask an Expert
    • eBooks
    • element14 presents
    • Learning Center
    • Tech Spotlight
    • STEM Academy
    • Webinars, Training and Events
    • Learning Groups
  • Technologies
    Technologies
    • 3D Printing
    • FPGA
    • Industrial Automation
    • Internet of Things
    • Power & Energy
    • Sensors
    • Technology Groups
  • Challenges & Projects
    Challenges & Projects
    • Design Challenges
    • element14 presents Projects
    • Project14
    • Arduino Projects
    • Raspberry Pi Projects
    • Project Groups
  • Products and Partners
    Products and Partners
    • Arduino
    • Avnet & Tria Boards Community
    • Dev Tools
    • Manufacturers
    • Multicomp Pro
    • Product Groups
    • Raspberry Pi
    • RoadTests & Reviews
  • About Us
    About the element14 Community
  • Store
    Store
    • Visit Your Store
    • Choose another store...
      • Europe
      •  Austria (German)
      •  Belgium (Dutch, French)
      •  Bulgaria (Bulgarian)
      •  Czech Republic (Czech)
      •  Denmark (Danish)
      •  Estonia (Estonian)
      •  Finland (Finnish)
      •  France (French)
      •  Germany (German)
      •  Hungary (Hungarian)
      •  Ireland
      •  Israel
      •  Italy (Italian)
      •  Latvia (Latvian)
      •  
      •  Lithuania (Lithuanian)
      •  Netherlands (Dutch)
      •  Norway (Norwegian)
      •  Poland (Polish)
      •  Portugal (Portuguese)
      •  Romania (Romanian)
      •  Russia (Russian)
      •  Slovakia (Slovak)
      •  Slovenia (Slovenian)
      •  Spain (Spanish)
      •  Sweden (Swedish)
      •  Switzerland(German, French)
      •  Turkey (Turkish)
      •  United Kingdom
      • Asia Pacific
      •  Australia
      •  China
      •  Hong Kong
      •  India
      •  Japan
      •  Korea (Korean)
      •  Malaysia
      •  New Zealand
      •  Philippines
      •  Singapore
      •  Taiwan
      •  Thailand (Thai)
      •  Vietnam
      • Americas
      •  Brazil (Portuguese)
      •  Canada
      •  Mexico (Spanish)
      •  United States
      Can't find the country/region you're looking for? Visit our export site or find a local distributor.
  • Translate
  • Profile
  • Settings
Community Hub
Community Hub
Member's Forum Seeking Someone to Do a Ferrites Project
  • Blog
  • Forum
  • Documents
  • Quiz
  • Events
  • Leaderboard
  • Polls
  • Files
  • Members
  • Mentions
  • Sub-Groups
  • Tags
  • More
  • Cancel
  • New
Join Community Hub to participate - click to join for free!
Actions
  • Share
  • More
  • Cancel
Forum Thread Details
  • Replies 41 replies
  • Subscribers 633 subscribers
  • Views 6084 views
  • Users 0 members are here
  • project
  • würth
  • würth elektronik
  • ferrites
Related

Seeking Someone to Do a Ferrites Project

rscasny
rscasny over 3 years ago

imageHi All.

In February, we will be publishing an Essentials of Ferrites.

We wanted to do something a little different and add in a project (or it could be an experiment) with ferrites.

The sponsor is sending element14 three ferrites kits to hand out to anyone who is interested in doing this project. You can add in anything else you might think you need.

If you have any questions, feel free to leave a comment or message me.

Cheers.

Randall
--element14 Team

  • Sign in to reply
  • Cancel
  • shabaz
    shabaz over 3 years ago


    Very nice kit!

    They are great problem-solvers, getting rid of unwanted oscillations and suppressing noise. For anyone curious, for a certain frequency range, they act like a resistance (at a very high-level). There are different kinds of ferrites for different applications, but specifically, this is for those intended for "suppression", which is what this kit is for, i.e. designed to have high(ish) resistance at certain frequency ranges. Other ferrites may be intended for "inductive" applications, use-cases would include oscillators for instance.

    It's sometimes easy to know because for companies like Wurth, they will provide nice detail: the red dashed line shows the resistance component at different frequencies. Many manufacturers won't provide such granular information, they may just mention the resistance at specific point frequencies.

    image

    I only have one ferrite kit for suppression, which is pretty ancient, and therefore so far have just been buying specific ferrites and this limits experimentation.

    Wurth has many nice kits. I recently purchased a couple of Wurth inductor and capacitor kits. It's been a huge time-saver, having a range of parts on-hand. Great learning experience too, having the range of parts to experiment with.

    Coilcraft has really neat inductor kits too (but the Wurth ones have a bigger selection!).

    They end up being a lifetime supply since (I believe) Wurth and Coilcraft will replenish the kit forever (provided the kit is used fairly).

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +3 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • rscasny
    rscasny over 3 years ago

    I might have a capacitor kit it to throw in as well. I was straightening out our office storeroom and saw them. I'll check when I go in the office again on Tuesday. More info then. Have a nice weekend.

    Randall

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +4 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • rscasny
    rscasny over 3 years ago in reply to kmikemoo

    I will be getting 3 kits to give out for projects. The kit has a lot of components and it doesn't go for pennies (or a pence). 

    Randall

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up 0 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • rscasny
    rscasny over 3 years ago in reply to taifur

    As you're thinking, I'd like to say to all that since it will be placed in a learning module, the project can be basic or complex. We are thinking that adding some projects would make the module more interesting than just mentioning product specs.

    Thanks.

    Randall

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +1 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • rscasny
    rscasny over 3 years ago in reply to rsjawale24

    This is where you can read the datasheet. Click here

    To get an itemized breakdown of each component in the kit, click this link.

    AS I said above, I'd send you the whole kit. If you need something else, send me that to. I'll see if I can get anything that's reasonable. Thanks.

    Randall

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +1 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • dougw
    dougw over 3 years ago

    I will be interesting to see what road testers come up with. I've used ferrites to reduce EMI when designing to pass military EMI/EMC standards, but I don't have access to the anechoic chamber and instrumentation needed to measure performance at home.

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up 0 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • rsjawale24
    rsjawale24 over 3 years ago

    Interesting! Can I get more details of the kit? Like what components are there in the kit.

    I have a few ideas that use ferrites, for example baluns and mixers. I have used toroidal shaped ferrites before for designing RF mixers.

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up 0 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • saadtiwana_int
    saadtiwana_int over 3 years ago

    This should be an interesting one. Certainly something I need to learn more about..! Looking forward to more on this!

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +1 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • kmikemoo
    kmikemoo over 3 years ago

    This is quite interesting.  Ferrites to me are used to control noise (electrical) and improve inductors - but SMD ferrites?  I do look forward to the Essentials module and seeing what someone does with the kit.

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +1 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • feiticeir0
    feiticeir0 over 3 years ago

    This looks like it's awesome. I've always wanted to do something with magnets and ferrite !

    Will try and think of something..

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +1 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
<>
element14 Community

element14 is the first online community specifically for engineers. Connect with your peers and get expert answers to your questions.

  • Members
  • Learn
  • Technologies
  • Challenges & Projects
  • Products
  • Store
  • About Us
  • Feedback & Support
  • FAQs
  • Terms of Use
  • Privacy Policy
  • Legal and Copyright Notices
  • Sitemap
  • Cookies

An Avnet Company © 2026 Premier Farnell Limited. All Rights Reserved.

Premier Farnell Ltd, registered in England and Wales (no 00876412), registered office: Farnell House, Forge Lane, Leeds LS12 2NE.

Follow element14

  • X
  • Facebook
  • linkedin
  • YouTube