Teen electrocuted performing YouTube experiment ID'd - Cincinnati News, FOX19-WXIX TV
I wonder if it needs some government (or industry) video played to kids when they reach an appropriate age.
Much like the video maybe many of us had to watch about how to cross a road safely.
We had several teachers who told us war wound type stories, but maybe that doesn't happen any more. Even generic advice like don't work on your own, consult with an adult before working with tools and mains powered equipment, and maybe even glimpses of people working in labs and with machines, so that there is a broad benchmark that adults take safety seriously too, rather than them just seeing a youtube-post as a benchmark. I'm beginning to realize that the 15-16-year old "work experience" thing was actually highly useful when kids got to work in industries where they had an interest.
I also remember being reminded by a manager once that even working on low power or around machinery in general on your own is not good. He told me he was once working in a site in a rack (DC equipment probably 48V), but some short occurred and by instinct/ autonomous action he moved back and hit his head, cut it, and passed out. No- one found him for a while because he was on his own.
And machine tools are taken way too lightly by some, like single-handed operation of some power tools. I always take shirt off (wear T-shirt of course!) or roll up sleeves before using them. But it is so easy to make mistakes, although I try to let others know where I am if I'm going to disappear into a lab for a while.
I was working on some HV stuff when an old co-worker came by socially. He said, 'Don, you have one hand in a pocket though you are unaware of this. This is how well your old boss taught you HV technique!"
One hand in the pocket and wearing rubber-soled shoes are two of the rules.
As a kid, my father had setup a Jacobs ladder that I watched (with him). But I was taught to respect electricity so I understood the potential risks involved. Why did not an adult supervise him? A little direction can go a long way. Warning! Get an adult around that understands electricity before trying this.
Clem
So sad to watch that, curiosity about the scientific world shouldn't have led to that for the kid. The poor grandfather had
difficulty remaining strong throughout that video too.
Many kids love anything to do with fire or electricity or machines, it is human nature to be curious about
science. And there are people who will publish extreme things on youtube, to get a high number of hits because
revenue is linked to that. I shall remember to post that link whenever I see irresponsible videos.