element14 Community
element14 Community
    Register Log In
  • Site
  • Search
  • Log In Register
  • Community Hub
    Community Hub
    • What's New on element14
    • Feedback and Support
    • Benefits of Membership
    • Personal Blogs
    • Members Area
    • Achievement Levels
  • Learn
    Learn
    • Ask an Expert
    • eBooks
    • element14 presents
    • Learning Center
    • Tech Spotlight
    • STEM Academy
    • Webinars, Training and Events
    • Learning Groups
  • Technologies
    Technologies
    • 3D Printing
    • FPGA
    • Industrial Automation
    • Internet of Things
    • Power & Energy
    • Sensors
    • Technology Groups
  • Challenges & Projects
    Challenges & Projects
    • Design Challenges
    • element14 presents Projects
    • Project14
    • Arduino Projects
    • Raspberry Pi Projects
    • Project Groups
  • Products and Partners
    Products and Partners
    • Arduino
    • Avnet & Tria Boards Community
    • Dev Tools
    • Manufacturers
    • Multicomp Pro
    • Product Groups
    • Raspberry Pi
    • RoadTests & Reviews
  • About Us
    About the element14 Community
  • Store
    Store
    • Visit Your Store
    • Choose another store...
      • Europe
      •  Austria (German)
      •  Belgium (Dutch, French)
      •  Bulgaria (Bulgarian)
      •  Czech Republic (Czech)
      •  Denmark (Danish)
      •  Estonia (Estonian)
      •  Finland (Finnish)
      •  France (French)
      •  Germany (German)
      •  Hungary (Hungarian)
      •  Ireland
      •  Israel
      •  Italy (Italian)
      •  Latvia (Latvian)
      •  
      •  Lithuania (Lithuanian)
      •  Netherlands (Dutch)
      •  Norway (Norwegian)
      •  Poland (Polish)
      •  Portugal (Portuguese)
      •  Romania (Romanian)
      •  Russia (Russian)
      •  Slovakia (Slovak)
      •  Slovenia (Slovenian)
      •  Spain (Spanish)
      •  Sweden (Swedish)
      •  Switzerland(German, French)
      •  Turkey (Turkish)
      •  United Kingdom
      • Asia Pacific
      •  Australia
      •  China
      •  Hong Kong
      •  India
      •  Japan
      •  Korea (Korean)
      •  Malaysia
      •  New Zealand
      •  Philippines
      •  Singapore
      •  Taiwan
      •  Thailand (Thai)
      •  Vietnam
      • Americas
      •  Brazil (Portuguese)
      •  Canada
      •  Mexico (Spanish)
      •  United States
      Can't find the country/region you're looking for? Visit our export site or find a local distributor.
  • Translate
  • Profile
  • Settings
Community Hub
Community Hub
Member's Forum Top Members Secret Santa - Unwrapped
  • Blog
  • Forum
  • Documents
  • Quiz
  • Events
  • Leaderboard
  • Polls
  • Files
  • Members
  • Mentions
  • Sub-Groups
  • Tags
  • More
  • Cancel
  • New
Join Community Hub to participate - click to join for free!
Actions
  • Share
  • More
  • Cancel
Forum Thread Details
  • Replies 171 replies
  • Subscribers 641 subscribers
  • Views 14533 views
  • Users 0 members are here
  • christmas
  • secret santa
Related

Top Members Secret Santa - Unwrapped

spannerspencer
spannerspencer over 9 years ago

I don't know if everyone's aware, but there's a private section of the element14 Community for the Top Members, who are brought in by invite (as decided upon by the existing Top Members and the element14 team), where they discuss matters around the direction of the Community, where they help out with beta testing Community updates, and even test out new products, RoadTests & Reviews-style. But mostly they just go waaaaaay off-topic and descend into rants and raves about which Minion avatar is the strangest, or who has the biggest... soldering iron.image

 

Anyway, in December the Top Members all gathered together around the eggnog tree to exchange techno-gifts, which we (The Management) facilitated to some degree by way of distribution. Now, I know the Christmas season won't get into full swing again until late August, but their Secret Santa gifts are now arriving upon their workshop doorsteps.

 

So I'd like to invite those Top Members to give us all a big unveiling of what they got, who their Secret Santa was and why they chose the gifts they did, and for the whole Community to join in with a few ideas on what these insane elite engineering eccentrics ("improved" meaning for IEEE?) can do with their hot tech gifts.

 

Merry Christmas!

 

 

Hmm? Oh, to become a Top Member is simple, but not easy. All you have to do is make a fantastic contribution to the element14 Community by way of great projects, insightful blogs, helpful suggestions (in Feedback and Support particularly) and generally spending all your free time on here enjoying yourself image  Trust me, these guys see everything that happens, so your efforts aren't going unnoticed image  Keep it up, and you'll be a Top Member in time for this year's Secret Santa!

  • Sign in to reply
  • Cancel
  • Robert Peter Oakes
    Robert Peter Oakes over 9 years ago in reply to clem57

    Well i was Clems secret santa but I have not seen him post an unwrapping yet so i'm keeping quiet about the gift till I see it

     

    Nevertheless, it is something I would find very useful for myself so therefor, it is only natural any other Engineer worth their salt would find it useful to image

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +3 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • Robert Peter Oakes
    Robert Peter Oakes over 9 years ago in reply to clem57

    Me 3

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +3 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • Robert Peter Oakes
    Robert Peter Oakes over 9 years ago in reply to Instructorman

    Nothing arrived yet, but Coal is usually shipped by boat. So i need to give it some more time image

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +3 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • clem57
    clem57 over 9 years ago in reply to mcb1

    I second that vote..image

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +3 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • mcb1
    mcb1 over 9 years ago in reply to ciorga

    Well done guys.

    Now there are 6 SS's and 6 who don't know.

    How did I miss you guys ??

     

     

    I vote we do ths again next year as we seem to have made great choices for each other ...

    Mark

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +2 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • ciorga
    ciorga over 9 years ago in reply to bwelsby

    Hello Everyone,

    I was Secret Santa for Michael Wylie.  I have looked at his activity on Element14 and I came to the conclusion that he may like to learn something new, so I have chosen a Raspberry PI 3 learner kit.  Since there was some money left in planned budget I added to the present a microstak prototype board for Raspberry PI.  Michael, I hope you will enjoy this present.

     

    This kit is so interesting that I wish I would have gotten one too, so I am planning to purchase one also to get myself started on Raspberry PI.  By the way, I am thinking next year we should each be Secret Santas for ourselves J

     

    Best Wishes,

    Cosmin

     

    ELEMENT14  PI3-IBM-IOT-LEARNKITPI3-IBM-IOT-LEARNKIT RASPBERRY PI 3 IBM IOT LEARNER KIT
     
    http://export.farnell.com/element14/pi3-ibm-iot-learnkit/raspberry-pi-3-ibm-iot-learner/dp/2606882?MER=EN-MER-CAN-BT-NEWP-DEV-2

    MICROSTACK MICROSTACK PROTOBOARD PROTOBOARD FOR RASPBERRY PI
     
    http://export.farnell.com/microstack/microstack-protoboard/protoboard-for-raspberry-pi/dp/2445465

     

     

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +4 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • bwelsby
    bwelsby over 9 years ago in reply to mcb1

    mcb1 wrote:

     

    Now all the secrets seem out of the bag

    I count 4 who don't know who their SS was, and 4 that we know were a SS ...

     

    Mark

    Oh sorry I have been very busy tinkering with my Logi-pi... just love FPGAs.

    I was the SS for   I first thought of the RPi3 because as a northerner we like our pies RPis+ then I added a sense hat but as individual items they were out of stock, luckily I found the  Pi3 IBM IOT kit was in stock and had both these and more for a lower price .. great value kit!  From her posts I guess she likes it image

     

    Ho Ho Ho,

    Santa Brian.

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +4 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • mcb1
    mcb1 over 9 years ago in reply to clem57

    Now all the secrets seem out of the bag

    I count 4 who don't know who their SS was, and 4 that we know were a SS ...

     

    Mark

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +1 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • clem57
    clem57 over 9 years ago

    Hi spannerspencer,

         Now all the secrets seem out of the bag, was the connections made by picking names out of a hat? Or some other electronic way?

    Random musings,

    Clem

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +1 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • Instructorman
    Instructorman over 9 years ago in reply to Robert Peter Oakes

    Peter,

     

    I am your secret Santa.  Sorry it is taking so long for your coal, . . . er unspecified cool gadget to arrive.

    Has it arrived yet?

     

    I don't want to blow the surprise if you haven't received it yet.

     

    The unspecified cool gadget I selected for you should keep you busy for a while, and may inspire you to create a world dominating project,

     

    Mark A

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +2 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
<>
element14 Community

element14 is the first online community specifically for engineers. Connect with your peers and get expert answers to your questions.

  • Members
  • Learn
  • Technologies
  • Challenges & Projects
  • Products
  • Store
  • About Us
  • Feedback & Support
  • FAQs
  • Terms of Use
  • Privacy Policy
  • Legal and Copyright Notices
  • Sitemap
  • Cookies

An Avnet Company © 2026 Premier Farnell Limited. All Rights Reserved.

Premier Farnell Ltd, registered in England and Wales (no 00876412), registered office: Farnell House, Forge Lane, Leeds LS12 2NE.

Follow element14

  • X
  • Facebook
  • linkedin
  • YouTube