element14 Community
element14 Community
    Register Log In
  • Site
  • Search
  • Log In Register
  • Community Hub
    Community Hub
    • What's New on element14
    • Feedback and Support
    • Benefits of Membership
    • Personal Blogs
    • Members Area
    • Achievement Levels
  • Learn
    Learn
    • Ask an Expert
    • eBooks
    • element14 presents
    • Learning Center
    • Tech Spotlight
    • STEM Academy
    • Webinars, Training and Events
    • Learning Groups
  • Technologies
    Technologies
    • 3D Printing
    • FPGA
    • Industrial Automation
    • Internet of Things
    • Power & Energy
    • Sensors
    • Technology Groups
  • Challenges & Projects
    Challenges & Projects
    • Design Challenges
    • element14 presents Projects
    • Project14
    • Arduino Projects
    • Raspberry Pi Projects
    • Project Groups
  • Products and Partners
    Products and Partners
    • Arduino
    • Avnet & Tria Boards Community
    • Dev Tools
    • Manufacturers
    • Multicomp Pro
    • Product Groups
    • Raspberry Pi
    • RoadTests & Reviews
  • About Us
    About the element14 Community
  • Store
    Store
    • Visit Your Store
    • Choose another store...
      • Europe
      •  Austria (German)
      •  Belgium (Dutch, French)
      •  Bulgaria (Bulgarian)
      •  Czech Republic (Czech)
      •  Denmark (Danish)
      •  Estonia (Estonian)
      •  Finland (Finnish)
      •  France (French)
      •  Germany (German)
      •  Hungary (Hungarian)
      •  Ireland
      •  Israel
      •  Italy (Italian)
      •  Latvia (Latvian)
      •  
      •  Lithuania (Lithuanian)
      •  Netherlands (Dutch)
      •  Norway (Norwegian)
      •  Poland (Polish)
      •  Portugal (Portuguese)
      •  Romania (Romanian)
      •  Russia (Russian)
      •  Slovakia (Slovak)
      •  Slovenia (Slovenian)
      •  Spain (Spanish)
      •  Sweden (Swedish)
      •  Switzerland(German, French)
      •  Turkey (Turkish)
      •  United Kingdom
      • Asia Pacific
      •  Australia
      •  China
      •  Hong Kong
      •  India
      •  Japan
      •  Korea (Korean)
      •  Malaysia
      •  New Zealand
      •  Philippines
      •  Singapore
      •  Taiwan
      •  Thailand (Thai)
      •  Vietnam
      • Americas
      •  Brazil (Portuguese)
      •  Canada
      •  Mexico (Spanish)
      •  United States
      Can't find the country/region you're looking for? Visit our export site or find a local distributor.
  • Translate
  • Profile
  • Settings
Community Hub
Community Hub
Member's Forum Being taxed ~$2,000.00 for a RoadTest.
  • Blog
  • Forum
  • Documents
  • Quiz
  • Events
  • Leaderboard
  • Polls
  • Files
  • Members
  • Mentions
  • Sub-Groups
  • Tags
  • More
  • Cancel
  • New
Join Community Hub to participate - click to join for free!
Actions
  • Share
  • More
  • Cancel
Forum Thread Details
  • Replies 26 replies
  • Subscribers 637 subscribers
  • Views 1413 views
  • Users 0 members are here
  • RoadTest
  • taxes
  • roadtesters
Related

Being taxed ~$2,000.00 for a RoadTest.

jkutzsch
jkutzsch over 9 years ago

Curious from the experience of others here.  I participated in a roadtest where it looks like the product is now going to cost me around $2,000.00 from "self-employed" taxes.  Needless to say this is unplanned.  Do other RoadTest participants in the US have suggestions on this?  Is this a common expected event?  My wife is pretty much saying my budget for anything is now blown.

  • Sign in to reply
  • Cancel
Parents
  • ipv1
    ipv1 over 9 years ago

    Technically the roadtest product is a sample and not sold so you should have to pay taxes on $00.00 which should be around.... $0.00 image

     

    Ive had issues with customs BUT since I am now dangerously near the poverty line this year, I won't need to worry about any taxes image

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +2 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • jkutzsch
    jkutzsch over 9 years ago in reply to ipv1

    To be specific.  The RoadTest required a 1099-MISC form to be filed with the Federal Government stating that I received $3,890.00 as nonemployee compensation. 

     

    Preliminary investigation is showing this is pushing me into self-employed that I now I have to pay taxes on at both a federal and state level.  Even though it is a piece of test equipment not actually "wages".  The basic form is showing that the difference in my tax return with this 1 RoadTest has changed my expected return by what I was told was around $2,000.00.

     

    Having never participated in a RoadTest that required a 1099-MISC to be filed this is all new to me.  I am also not an accountant and previously my general wages and lifestyle is mediocre enough with no fluctuation that it has allowed me to file taxes online.  So I have not approached a tax professional as of yet.  I thought I would see what other members may have experienced and can suggest.

     

    I keep looking out there for specification in regards to wages versus hardware and everything I can find seems to imply actual wages/money received.  But i am still researching.

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +3 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
Reply
  • jkutzsch
    jkutzsch over 9 years ago in reply to ipv1

    To be specific.  The RoadTest required a 1099-MISC form to be filed with the Federal Government stating that I received $3,890.00 as nonemployee compensation. 

     

    Preliminary investigation is showing this is pushing me into self-employed that I now I have to pay taxes on at both a federal and state level.  Even though it is a piece of test equipment not actually "wages".  The basic form is showing that the difference in my tax return with this 1 RoadTest has changed my expected return by what I was told was around $2,000.00.

     

    Having never participated in a RoadTest that required a 1099-MISC to be filed this is all new to me.  I am also not an accountant and previously my general wages and lifestyle is mediocre enough with no fluctuation that it has allowed me to file taxes online.  So I have not approached a tax professional as of yet.  I thought I would see what other members may have experienced and can suggest.

     

    I keep looking out there for specification in regards to wages versus hardware and everything I can find seems to imply actual wages/money received.  But i am still researching.

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +3 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
Children
  • ntewinkel
    ntewinkel over 9 years ago in reply to jkutzsch

    Wow, that sucks. If you are generally an "employee", the only suggestion I can add is that as "self-employed" you are entitled to claim a lot of expenses related to making that self-employed income.

     

    For me (in Canada) I am allowed to claim part of my home expenses for my home office, depreciation on equipment (including my computer), and work related shares of cell phone and internet costs.

     

    If the government is pushing you into having to claim that self-employed income, then after expenses you could actually end up with a loss to reduce your overall taxes.

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +2 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
element14 Community

element14 is the first online community specifically for engineers. Connect with your peers and get expert answers to your questions.

  • Members
  • Learn
  • Technologies
  • Challenges & Projects
  • Products
  • Store
  • About Us
  • Feedback & Support
  • FAQs
  • Terms of Use
  • Privacy Policy
  • Legal and Copyright Notices
  • Sitemap
  • Cookies

An Avnet Company © 2026 Premier Farnell Limited. All Rights Reserved.

Premier Farnell Ltd, registered in England and Wales (no 00876412), registered office: Farnell House, Forge Lane, Leeds LS12 2NE.

Follow element14

  • X
  • Facebook
  • linkedin
  • YouTube