element14 Community
element14 Community
    Register Log In
  • Site
  • Search
  • Log In Register
  • Community Hub
    Community Hub
    • What's New on element14
    • Feedback and Support
    • Benefits of Membership
    • Personal Blogs
    • Members Area
    • Achievement Levels
  • Learn
    Learn
    • Ask an Expert
    • eBooks
    • element14 presents
    • Learning Center
    • Tech Spotlight
    • STEM Academy
    • Webinars, Training and Events
    • Learning Groups
  • Technologies
    Technologies
    • 3D Printing
    • FPGA
    • Industrial Automation
    • Internet of Things
    • Power & Energy
    • Sensors
    • Technology Groups
  • Challenges & Projects
    Challenges & Projects
    • Design Challenges
    • element14 presents Projects
    • Project14
    • Arduino Projects
    • Raspberry Pi Projects
    • Project Groups
  • Products and Partners
    Products and Partners
    • Arduino
    • Avnet & Tria Boards Community
    • Dev Tools
    • Manufacturers
    • Multicomp Pro
    • Product Groups
    • Raspberry Pi
    • RoadTests & Reviews
  • About Us
    About the element14 Community
  • Store
    Store
    • Visit Your Store
    • Choose another store...
      • Europe
      •  Austria (German)
      •  Belgium (Dutch, French)
      •  Bulgaria (Bulgarian)
      •  Czech Republic (Czech)
      •  Denmark (Danish)
      •  Estonia (Estonian)
      •  Finland (Finnish)
      •  France (French)
      •  Germany (German)
      •  Hungary (Hungarian)
      •  Ireland
      •  Israel
      •  Italy (Italian)
      •  Latvia (Latvian)
      •  
      •  Lithuania (Lithuanian)
      •  Netherlands (Dutch)
      •  Norway (Norwegian)
      •  Poland (Polish)
      •  Portugal (Portuguese)
      •  Romania (Romanian)
      •  Russia (Russian)
      •  Slovakia (Slovak)
      •  Slovenia (Slovenian)
      •  Spain (Spanish)
      •  Sweden (Swedish)
      •  Switzerland(German, French)
      •  Turkey (Turkish)
      •  United Kingdom
      • Asia Pacific
      •  Australia
      •  China
      •  Hong Kong
      •  India
      •  Japan
      •  Korea (Korean)
      •  Malaysia
      •  New Zealand
      •  Philippines
      •  Singapore
      •  Taiwan
      •  Thailand (Thai)
      •  Vietnam
      • Americas
      •  Brazil (Portuguese)
      •  Canada
      •  Mexico (Spanish)
      •  United States
      Can't find the country/region you're looking for? Visit our export site or find a local distributor.
  • Translate
  • Profile
  • Settings
Community Hub
Community Hub
Member's Forum Being taxed ~$2,000.00 for a RoadTest.
  • Blog
  • Forum
  • Documents
  • Quiz
  • Events
  • Leaderboard
  • Polls
  • Files
  • Members
  • Mentions
  • Sub-Groups
  • Tags
  • More
  • Cancel
  • New
Join Community Hub to participate - click to join for free!
Actions
  • Share
  • More
  • Cancel
Forum Thread Details
  • Replies 26 replies
  • Subscribers 637 subscribers
  • Views 1413 views
  • Users 0 members are here
  • RoadTest
  • taxes
  • roadtesters
Related

Being taxed ~$2,000.00 for a RoadTest.

jkutzsch
jkutzsch over 9 years ago

Curious from the experience of others here.  I participated in a roadtest where it looks like the product is now going to cost me around $2,000.00 from "self-employed" taxes.  Needless to say this is unplanned.  Do other RoadTest participants in the US have suggestions on this?  Is this a common expected event?  My wife is pretty much saying my budget for anything is now blown.

  • Sign in to reply
  • Cancel
  • ntewinkel
    ntewinkel over 9 years ago in reply to Robert Peter Oakes

    ...are you declaring the "Gift"...

     

    Except that Randall now has made it clear it's not a gift, but more of a payment for writing a review. In which case the taxman has a pretty good case that it's work income.

     

    For someone in a top tax bracket, and depending on the country, the tax paid on the top dollar earned gets closer to half (40% in Canada if above like $120k I think).

     

    I would go with Inderpreet's suggestion of considering it a sample, but I don't know if that means the taxes are any different, or if there's an exemption to how much a sample can be.

     

    Good question for a tax specialist for sure. I'd like to hear what the official response is.

     

    Cheers,

    -Nico

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +1 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • jkutzsch
    jkutzsch over 9 years ago in reply to ipv1

    To be specific.  The RoadTest required a 1099-MISC form to be filed with the Federal Government stating that I received $3,890.00 as nonemployee compensation. 

     

    Preliminary investigation is showing this is pushing me into self-employed that I now I have to pay taxes on at both a federal and state level.  Even though it is a piece of test equipment not actually "wages".  The basic form is showing that the difference in my tax return with this 1 RoadTest has changed my expected return by what I was told was around $2,000.00.

     

    Having never participated in a RoadTest that required a 1099-MISC to be filed this is all new to me.  I am also not an accountant and previously my general wages and lifestyle is mediocre enough with no fluctuation that it has allowed me to file taxes online.  So I have not approached a tax professional as of yet.  I thought I would see what other members may have experienced and can suggest.

     

    I keep looking out there for specification in regards to wages versus hardware and everything I can find seems to imply actual wages/money received.  But i am still researching.

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +3 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • DAB
    DAB over 9 years ago

    I have not had any problems in the US for roadtest items, so I am baffled.

     

    DAB

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +2 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • ipv1
    ipv1 over 9 years ago

    Technically the roadtest product is a sample and not sold so you should have to pay taxes on $00.00 which should be around.... $0.00 image

     

    Ive had issues with customs BUT since I am now dangerously near the poverty line this year, I won't need to worry about any taxes image

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +2 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • Robert Peter Oakes
    Robert Peter Oakes over 9 years ago

    What product is that from ??

     

    Also, are you declaring the "Gift" as a company asset, there not a corporate / Company (Your Company) gratuity, if anything they should be declared (If at all) as a prize from a contest ??, or atleast thats my understanding, if you participate in a free raffle in your region and win $1000 (A 50/50 draw, or "Your our 1000,000 customer, hers a $1000 to spend in our store) do you declare it as income, do you even declare it at all ?, its for you as an individual, not you as a company??

     

    I would talk to your accountant for professional advice and how if at all this should be declared, you must also have received something well over 10K$ to get that much tax hit ?.

     

    If you have already submitted it, you may have opened up a whole can of pain that may be difficult to get out of but worth the call to your accountant, or at least consulting one.

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +1 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • volly
    volly over 9 years ago

    jkutzsch, Please substantiate. I do not really get this.

     

    Yunus

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up 0 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
<
element14 Community

element14 is the first online community specifically for engineers. Connect with your peers and get expert answers to your questions.

  • Members
  • Learn
  • Technologies
  • Challenges & Projects
  • Products
  • Store
  • About Us
  • Feedback & Support
  • FAQs
  • Terms of Use
  • Privacy Policy
  • Legal and Copyright Notices
  • Sitemap
  • Cookies

An Avnet Company © 2026 Premier Farnell Limited. All Rights Reserved.

Premier Farnell Ltd, registered in England and Wales (no 00876412), registered office: Farnell House, Forge Lane, Leeds LS12 2NE.

Follow element14

  • X
  • Facebook
  • linkedin
  • YouTube