element14 Community
element14 Community
    Register Log In
  • Site
  • Search
  • Log In Register
  • Community Hub
    Community Hub
    • What's New on element14
    • Feedback and Support
    • Benefits of Membership
    • Personal Blogs
    • Members Area
    • Achievement Levels
  • Learn
    Learn
    • Ask an Expert
    • eBooks
    • element14 presents
    • Learning Center
    • Tech Spotlight
    • STEM Academy
    • Webinars, Training and Events
    • Learning Groups
  • Technologies
    Technologies
    • 3D Printing
    • FPGA
    • Industrial Automation
    • Internet of Things
    • Power & Energy
    • Sensors
    • Technology Groups
  • Challenges & Projects
    Challenges & Projects
    • Design Challenges
    • element14 presents Projects
    • Project14
    • Arduino Projects
    • Raspberry Pi Projects
    • Project Groups
  • Products and Partners
    Products and Partners
    • Arduino
    • Avnet & Tria Boards Community
    • Dev Tools
    • Manufacturers
    • Multicomp Pro
    • Product Groups
    • Raspberry Pi
    • RoadTests & Reviews
  • About Us
    About the element14 Community
  • Store
    Store
    • Visit Your Store
    • Choose another store...
      • Europe
      •  Austria (German)
      •  Belgium (Dutch, French)
      •  Bulgaria (Bulgarian)
      •  Czech Republic (Czech)
      •  Denmark (Danish)
      •  Estonia (Estonian)
      •  Finland (Finnish)
      •  France (French)
      •  Germany (German)
      •  Hungary (Hungarian)
      •  Ireland
      •  Israel
      •  Italy (Italian)
      •  Latvia (Latvian)
      •  
      •  Lithuania (Lithuanian)
      •  Netherlands (Dutch)
      •  Norway (Norwegian)
      •  Poland (Polish)
      •  Portugal (Portuguese)
      •  Romania (Romanian)
      •  Russia (Russian)
      •  Slovakia (Slovak)
      •  Slovenia (Slovenian)
      •  Spain (Spanish)
      •  Sweden (Swedish)
      •  Switzerland(German, French)
      •  Turkey (Turkish)
      •  United Kingdom
      • Asia Pacific
      •  Australia
      •  China
      •  Hong Kong
      •  India
      •  Japan
      •  Korea (Korean)
      •  Malaysia
      •  New Zealand
      •  Philippines
      •  Singapore
      •  Taiwan
      •  Thailand (Thai)
      •  Vietnam
      • Americas
      •  Brazil (Portuguese)
      •  Canada
      •  Mexico (Spanish)
      •  United States
      Can't find the country/region you're looking for? Visit our export site or find a local distributor.
  • Translate
  • Profile
  • Settings
Community Hub
Community Hub
Member's Forum Non-Slip Probes   Owners Manual
  • Blog
  • Forum
  • Documents
  • Quiz
  • Events
  • Leaderboard
  • Polls
  • Files
  • Members
  • Mentions
  • Sub-Groups
  • Tags
  • More
  • Cancel
  • New
Join Community Hub to participate - click to join for free!
Actions
  • Share
  • More
  • Cancel
Forum Thread Details
  • Replies 9 replies
  • Subscribers 632 subscribers
  • Views 762 views
  • Users 0 members are here
  • non-slip
  • non_slip_probes
Related

Non-Slip Probes   Owners Manual

jw0752
jw0752 over 8 years ago

     Most of the information that I have put out about the Non-Slip ( Intrusive ) Meter Probe adapters has been fragmented and spread out over 2 years. Today I wrote and up-to-date Owners manual that covers all the current information about the adapters. I have attached it to this post as a pdf.

 

John

Attachments:
imageOwners Maunal.pdf
  • Sign in to reply
  • Cancel
Parents
  • makerkaren
    makerkaren over 8 years ago

    Pertaining to page 4, "The Non-Slip Adapter has excellent ability to penetrate thin coatings and oxidation." Is much pressure or scraping required to get through the coating or oxidation? I'm not familiar with these probes so I'm curious how they work.

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up 0 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
Reply
  • makerkaren
    makerkaren over 8 years ago

    Pertaining to page 4, "The Non-Slip Adapter has excellent ability to penetrate thin coatings and oxidation." Is much pressure or scraping required to get through the coating or oxidation? I'm not familiar with these probes so I'm curious how they work.

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up 0 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
Children
  • jw0752
    jw0752 over 8 years ago in reply to makerkaren

    Hi Karen,

     

    There is no scraping required. Pushing the probe into the coating is usually enough. I just ran an experiment for you whereby I used a piece of 18 GA enameled transformer wire. I put the wire on a 1 kg scale and began to push the probe onto the wire. 3 out of 4 tries I had connection before 200 grams (roughly 2 Newtons) of force was exerted. I did not wiggle the probe as I wanted a pure pressure number. Any wiggling would reduce the pressure needed.  I would expect similar results with silk screening on a circuit board. The actual carbide tip is designed to be a high speed cutter so when I am trying to probe through epoxy or other thicker coating a small twist of the probe will cut through the thicker material. I do not recommend trying to use these probes to go though the regular plastic or pvc insulation on regular wire it is too thick for the carbide teeth and the cross section of the tip comes into play just like it does with a regular probe tip.. For that application the needle is still superior. Oxidized or corroded connections are very easy and require low force as most time the layer of oxidation is self sealing and very thin. Ben should buy a set of these to try out. Since I too am in Wisconsin he is probably only a day away by mail.

     

    John

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +1 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • mcb1
    mcb1 over 8 years ago in reply to makerkaren

    Let me provide the link ...

     

    Shop Tips -  Intrusive Meter Probe

     

     

    Because of the design, there is much reduced pressure required.

     

     

     

    Mark

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up 0 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
element14 Community

element14 is the first online community specifically for engineers. Connect with your peers and get expert answers to your questions.

  • Members
  • Learn
  • Technologies
  • Challenges & Projects
  • Products
  • Store
  • About Us
  • Feedback & Support
  • FAQs
  • Terms of Use
  • Privacy Policy
  • Legal and Copyright Notices
  • Sitemap
  • Cookies

An Avnet Company © 2026 Premier Farnell Limited. All Rights Reserved.

Premier Farnell Ltd, registered in England and Wales (no 00876412), registered office: Farnell House, Forge Lane, Leeds LS12 2NE.

Follow element14

  • X
  • Facebook
  • linkedin
  • YouTube