element14 Community
element14 Community
    Register Log In
  • Site
  • Search
  • Log In Register
  • Community Hub
    Community Hub
    • What's New on element14
    • Feedback and Support
    • Benefits of Membership
    • Personal Blogs
    • Members Area
    • Achievement Levels
  • Learn
    Learn
    • Ask an Expert
    • eBooks
    • element14 presents
    • Learning Center
    • Tech Spotlight
    • STEM Academy
    • Webinars, Training and Events
    • Learning Groups
  • Technologies
    Technologies
    • 3D Printing
    • FPGA
    • Industrial Automation
    • Internet of Things
    • Power & Energy
    • Sensors
    • Technology Groups
  • Challenges & Projects
    Challenges & Projects
    • Design Challenges
    • element14 presents Projects
    • Project14
    • Arduino Projects
    • Raspberry Pi Projects
    • Project Groups
  • Products and Partners
    Products and Partners
    • Arduino
    • Avnet & Tria Boards Community
    • Dev Tools
    • Manufacturers
    • Multicomp Pro
    • Product Groups
    • Raspberry Pi
    • RoadTests & Reviews
  • About Us
    About the element14 Community
  • Store
    Store
    • Visit Your Store
    • Choose another store...
      • Europe
      •  Austria (German)
      •  Belgium (Dutch, French)
      •  Bulgaria (Bulgarian)
      •  Czech Republic (Czech)
      •  Denmark (Danish)
      •  Estonia (Estonian)
      •  Finland (Finnish)
      •  France (French)
      •  Germany (German)
      •  Hungary (Hungarian)
      •  Ireland
      •  Israel
      •  Italy (Italian)
      •  Latvia (Latvian)
      •  
      •  Lithuania (Lithuanian)
      •  Netherlands (Dutch)
      •  Norway (Norwegian)
      •  Poland (Polish)
      •  Portugal (Portuguese)
      •  Romania (Romanian)
      •  Russia (Russian)
      •  Slovakia (Slovak)
      •  Slovenia (Slovenian)
      •  Spain (Spanish)
      •  Sweden (Swedish)
      •  Switzerland(German, French)
      •  Turkey (Turkish)
      •  United Kingdom
      • Asia Pacific
      •  Australia
      •  China
      •  Hong Kong
      •  India
      •  Japan
      •  Korea (Korean)
      •  Malaysia
      •  New Zealand
      •  Philippines
      •  Singapore
      •  Taiwan
      •  Thailand (Thai)
      •  Vietnam
      • Americas
      •  Brazil (Portuguese)
      •  Canada
      •  Mexico (Spanish)
      •  United States
      Can't find the country/region you're looking for? Visit our export site or find a local distributor.
  • Translate
  • Profile
  • Settings
Community Hub
Community Hub
Member's Forum Hello all new member
  • Blog
  • Forum
  • Documents
  • Quiz
  • Events
  • Leaderboard
  • Polls
  • Files
  • Members
  • Mentions
  • Sub-Groups
  • Tags
  • More
  • Cancel
  • New
Join Community Hub to participate - click to join for free!
Actions
  • Share
  • More
  • Cancel
Forum Thread Details
  • Replies 10 replies
  • Subscribers 632 subscribers
  • Views 983 views
  • Users 0 members are here
  • new member
  • learning
Related

Hello all new member

tallonoverlord
tallonoverlord over 8 years ago

Hello, just a new person here. I cant say I have any engineering knowledge at all. I have seen the Ben Heck show a ew times and it got me interested in a few things. Being a gamer I have old video game systems I'd like to learn to repair and even update. But I have no trainging or skills, I joined to mainly ask questions and see if there is anyone willing to teach me some skills. Thanks o much for your time on this matter.

  • Sign in to reply
  • Cancel
Parents
  • makerkaren
    makerkaren over 8 years ago

    Welcome! I recommend that your first project be something you're really interested in. In my experience, the drive to finish a project depends on how invested you are in the finished product. Once you know what you want to make, don't be afraid to fail. That's how we learn. Hopefully the community can help you get past any speed bumps you come across during your build. Good luck!

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +2 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • tallonoverlord
    tallonoverlord over 8 years ago in reply to makerkaren

    Something I have pondered is a drop counter for some of my games. Something you an plug in and it will tell you how close you are to a rare drop in the game. I have seen simplistic "shiny counters" for pokemon games to calculates the odds of finding or hatching a shiny pokemon. Have you ever worked with such a device?

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up 0 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • makerkaren
    makerkaren over 8 years ago in reply to tallonoverlord

    That sounds more like a program than a device given that it would have to read the game code to sense when an item is dropped, what the item is, and being able to reference a library to determine how rare it is. Aren't rare drops typically a constant percentage chance of drop? So it's not necessarily that every 100th drop you will get a rare, but that every drop there is a 1/100 chance of having a rare drop? Given that, you could potentially track how many drops you've had and have it reset when a rare is dropped so you at least have an idea how long it's been since a rare drop. Does that sound right to you?

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up 0 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • makerkaren
    makerkaren over 8 years ago in reply to tallonoverlord

    A little. I haven't set up a gaming system on one yet, but I have a lot of friends that have. I was thinking of using one to make a PLEX server for my house. Felix and I made a Photo Booth using a Raspberry P for the Ben Heck Show. I feel I would have been able to do it alone following the instructions I found online. There's a learning curve, but I think it's achievable by someone new to electronics and programming if you're willing to stick with it to completion.

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +1 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
Reply
  • makerkaren
    makerkaren over 8 years ago in reply to tallonoverlord

    A little. I haven't set up a gaming system on one yet, but I have a lot of friends that have. I was thinking of using one to make a PLEX server for my house. Felix and I made a Photo Booth using a Raspberry P for the Ben Heck Show. I feel I would have been able to do it alone following the instructions I found online. There's a learning curve, but I think it's achievable by someone new to electronics and programming if you're willing to stick with it to completion.

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +1 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
Children
No Data
element14 Community

element14 is the first online community specifically for engineers. Connect with your peers and get expert answers to your questions.

  • Members
  • Learn
  • Technologies
  • Challenges & Projects
  • Products
  • Store
  • About Us
  • Feedback & Support
  • FAQs
  • Terms of Use
  • Privacy Policy
  • Legal and Copyright Notices
  • Sitemap
  • Cookies

An Avnet Company © 2026 Premier Farnell Limited. All Rights Reserved.

Premier Farnell Ltd, registered in England and Wales (no 00876412), registered office: Farnell House, Forge Lane, Leeds LS12 2NE.

Follow element14

  • X
  • Facebook
  • linkedin
  • YouTube