element14 Community
element14 Community
    Register Log In
  • Site
  • Search
  • Log In Register
  • Community Hub
    Community Hub
    • What's New on element14
    • Feedback and Support
    • Benefits of Membership
    • Personal Blogs
    • Members Area
    • Achievement Levels
  • Learn
    Learn
    • Ask an Expert
    • eBooks
    • element14 presents
    • Learning Center
    • Tech Spotlight
    • STEM Academy
    • Webinars, Training and Events
    • Learning Groups
  • Technologies
    Technologies
    • 3D Printing
    • FPGA
    • Industrial Automation
    • Internet of Things
    • Power & Energy
    • Sensors
    • Technology Groups
  • Challenges & Projects
    Challenges & Projects
    • Design Challenges
    • element14 presents Projects
    • Project14
    • Arduino Projects
    • Raspberry Pi Projects
    • Project Groups
  • Products and Partners
    Products and Partners
    • Arduino
    • Avnet & Tria Boards Community
    • Dev Tools
    • Manufacturers
    • Multicomp Pro
    • Product Groups
    • Raspberry Pi
    • RoadTests & Reviews
  • About Us
    About the element14 Community
  • Store
    Store
    • Visit Your Store
    • Choose another store...
      • Europe
      •  Austria (German)
      •  Belgium (Dutch, French)
      •  Bulgaria (Bulgarian)
      •  Czech Republic (Czech)
      •  Denmark (Danish)
      •  Estonia (Estonian)
      •  Finland (Finnish)
      •  France (French)
      •  Germany (German)
      •  Hungary (Hungarian)
      •  Ireland
      •  Israel
      •  Italy (Italian)
      •  Latvia (Latvian)
      •  
      •  Lithuania (Lithuanian)
      •  Netherlands (Dutch)
      •  Norway (Norwegian)
      •  Poland (Polish)
      •  Portugal (Portuguese)
      •  Romania (Romanian)
      •  Russia (Russian)
      •  Slovakia (Slovak)
      •  Slovenia (Slovenian)
      •  Spain (Spanish)
      •  Sweden (Swedish)
      •  Switzerland(German, French)
      •  Turkey (Turkish)
      •  United Kingdom
      • Asia Pacific
      •  Australia
      •  China
      •  Hong Kong
      •  India
      •  Japan
      •  Korea (Korean)
      •  Malaysia
      •  New Zealand
      •  Philippines
      •  Singapore
      •  Taiwan
      •  Thailand (Thai)
      •  Vietnam
      • Americas
      •  Brazil (Portuguese)
      •  Canada
      •  Mexico (Spanish)
      •  United States
      Can't find the country/region you're looking for? Visit our export site or find a local distributor.
  • Translate
  • Profile
  • Settings
Community Hub
Community Hub
Member's Forum Surplus electronics shops
  • Blog
  • Forum
  • Documents
  • Quiz
  • Events
  • Leaderboard
  • Polls
  • Files
  • Members
  • Mentions
  • Sub-Groups
  • Tags
  • More
  • Cancel
  • New
Join Community Hub to participate - click to join for free!
Actions
  • Share
  • More
  • Cancel
Forum Thread Details
  • Replies 47 replies
  • Subscribers 637 subscribers
  • Views 3669 views
  • Users 0 members are here
Related

Surplus electronics shops

Workshopshed
Workshopshed over 8 years ago

You wanna see the coolest thing? Since e-ink displays don't require power except when they change, old parts bins full of used e-ink screens are little snapshots of history, as each display is still showing the last thing it ever showed.

https://t.co/01UQE4oDHg

imageimage

 

— foone (@Foone) February 25, 2018

 

This tweet today showed some cool surplus electronics at Hst /halted electronics supply in Santa Clara, CA. Does anyone know of real shops where you can walk in and buy old stuff like this?

 

I remember Harding's in Cheltenham but it's been years since I was there so I don't know if it's still going.

image

  • Sign in to reply
  • Cancel
Parents
  • Problemchild
    Problemchild over 8 years ago

    Thinking about it Maplin/Toys r Us ...um both sell expensive toys for kids (maplin has sold more toy tat like remote controll cars etc than anything else for years)

     

    Maybe it's that market segment where the value is collapsing ?

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +1 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • Problemchild
    Problemchild over 8 years ago in reply to Problemchild

    Interestingly this article suggests that VC's milking Maplins were at least partially resposable for it's demise

     

    http://www.itv.com/news/2018-02-28/was-private-equity-to-blame-for-maplins-failure/

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +5 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • shabaz
    shabaz over 8 years ago in reply to Problemchild

    I can see that happening. But also some of it was their own doing though : (

    I never understood why some of their product portfolio never changed from decades ago. They were still selling 74LS logic gates! : )  And TBA820M, the early (seriously awful) 12C508 PICs, etc : )

    Some stuff was not bad though : ) usable stripboard, project boxes, tons of enamelled wire (again something they never updated, but in this case I didn't mind that : )

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +3 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
Reply
  • shabaz
    shabaz over 8 years ago in reply to Problemchild

    I can see that happening. But also some of it was their own doing though : (

    I never understood why some of their product portfolio never changed from decades ago. They were still selling 74LS logic gates! : )  And TBA820M, the early (seriously awful) 12C508 PICs, etc : )

    Some stuff was not bad though : ) usable stripboard, project boxes, tons of enamelled wire (again something they never updated, but in this case I didn't mind that : )

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +3 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
Children
  • neilk
    neilk over 8 years ago in reply to Workshopshed

    I find the colours on modern day tiny resistors are often a bit difficult to make out, compared with those on the old 1/4 and 1/2 watt resistors of olden days.....(nostalgia isn't what it used to be).

     

    I always double check with the meter...........is that an age thing as well?

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +4 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • Workshopshed
    Workshopshed over 8 years ago in reply to the-dubster

    A bit of both. Look for 5 or some with the same colours then check them with a meter.

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +3 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • the-dubster
    the-dubster over 8 years ago in reply to neilk

    It's exactly that rationale that means I hoard random old electronics and random hardware . . . . .

     

    Then I keep it somewhere 'really safe', so safe that I can't find it later - so I end up buying the stuff again!

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +5 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • the-dubster
    the-dubster over 8 years ago in reply to Workshopshed

    Ow! That's painful meditation!

     

    You doing it the clever way (colour codes) or the cheats way (measure)?

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +3 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • Workshopshed
    Workshopshed over 8 years ago in reply to neilk

    I picked up a mystery box of components from Freegle last year. Just got around to sorting out the resistors, so far have done about 50 or so. I think it will be something I'll do in the evening as a form of meditation.

    image

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +6 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • neilk
    neilk over 8 years ago in reply to the-dubster

    Same issues with fixings - pay £1 each for 8mm bolts at somewhere like B&Q......maybe get a box of 50 for £10 at Screwfix. Depends how many you need now & whether you'll need more in the future.

     

    As an old guy I knew used to say "I'd keep that if I were you; it'll come in handy one day, even if you never use it"

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +5 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • the-dubster
    the-dubster over 8 years ago in reply to neilk

    Same here, I have one within 11 miles and one about 22 miles away, I will pay IF I need it now, but kick myself afterwards for being impatient.

     

    As an example, I bought some venerable old 1N4148 switching diodes at 9p each, 6 of them cost me 54p - not that much.

     

    I checked with CPC that evening, a PACK OF 50 for 47p inc VAT!!

     

    Stick in on a £5 (+VAT) order and It would have been cheaper to buy 50 and throw 44 away!

     

    I reckon THAT is part of the reason they were struggling.

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +5 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • Workshopshed
    Workshopshed over 8 years ago in reply to neilk

    I'm not that near to one but do pop in when I am nearby and need something quickly. But I've been disappointed by their parts department so normally only use them for stuff like switches, boxes, batteries etc that can't be damaged.

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +3 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • neilk
    neilk over 8 years ago in reply to shabaz

    I am usually "near" a Maplin about once a fortnight & usually call in for a browse. I often find something I've seen online, but would like to examine properly. I sometimes pay a slight premium at Maplin, to walk out with it, rather than wait a week for the post to deliver.

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +5 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
element14 Community

element14 is the first online community specifically for engineers. Connect with your peers and get expert answers to your questions.

  • Members
  • Learn
  • Technologies
  • Challenges & Projects
  • Products
  • Store
  • About Us
  • Feedback & Support
  • FAQs
  • Terms of Use
  • Privacy Policy
  • Legal and Copyright Notices
  • Sitemap
  • Cookies

An Avnet Company © 2026 Premier Farnell Limited. All Rights Reserved.

Premier Farnell Ltd, registered in England and Wales (no 00876412), registered office: Farnell House, Forge Lane, Leeds LS12 2NE.

Follow element14

  • X
  • Facebook
  • linkedin
  • YouTube