element14 Community
element14 Community
    Register Log In
  • Site
  • Search
  • Log In Register
  • Community Hub
    Community Hub
    • What's New on element14
    • Feedback and Support
    • Benefits of Membership
    • Personal Blogs
    • Members Area
    • Achievement Levels
  • Learn
    Learn
    • Ask an Expert
    • eBooks
    • element14 presents
    • Learning Center
    • Tech Spotlight
    • STEM Academy
    • Webinars, Training and Events
    • Learning Groups
  • Technologies
    Technologies
    • 3D Printing
    • FPGA
    • Industrial Automation
    • Internet of Things
    • Power & Energy
    • Sensors
    • Technology Groups
  • Challenges & Projects
    Challenges & Projects
    • Design Challenges
    • element14 presents Projects
    • Project14
    • Arduino Projects
    • Raspberry Pi Projects
    • Project Groups
  • Products and Partners
    Products and Partners
    • Arduino
    • Avnet & Tria Boards Community
    • Dev Tools
    • Manufacturers
    • Multicomp Pro
    • Product Groups
    • Raspberry Pi
    • RoadTests & Reviews
  • About Us
    About the element14 Community
  • Store
    Store
    • Visit Your Store
    • Choose another store...
      • Europe
      •  Austria (German)
      •  Belgium (Dutch, French)
      •  Bulgaria (Bulgarian)
      •  Czech Republic (Czech)
      •  Denmark (Danish)
      •  Estonia (Estonian)
      •  Finland (Finnish)
      •  France (French)
      •  Germany (German)
      •  Hungary (Hungarian)
      •  Ireland
      •  Israel
      •  Italy (Italian)
      •  Latvia (Latvian)
      •  
      •  Lithuania (Lithuanian)
      •  Netherlands (Dutch)
      •  Norway (Norwegian)
      •  Poland (Polish)
      •  Portugal (Portuguese)
      •  Romania (Romanian)
      •  Russia (Russian)
      •  Slovakia (Slovak)
      •  Slovenia (Slovenian)
      •  Spain (Spanish)
      •  Sweden (Swedish)
      •  Switzerland(German, French)
      •  Turkey (Turkish)
      •  United Kingdom
      • Asia Pacific
      •  Australia
      •  China
      •  Hong Kong
      •  India
      •  Japan
      •  Korea (Korean)
      •  Malaysia
      •  New Zealand
      •  Philippines
      •  Singapore
      •  Taiwan
      •  Thailand (Thai)
      •  Vietnam
      • Americas
      •  Brazil (Portuguese)
      •  Canada
      •  Mexico (Spanish)
      •  United States
      Can't find the country/region you're looking for? Visit our export site or find a local distributor.
  • Translate
  • Profile
  • Settings
Community Hub
Community Hub
Member's Forum Surplus electronics shops
  • Blog
  • Forum
  • Documents
  • Quiz
  • Events
  • Leaderboard
  • Polls
  • Files
  • Members
  • Mentions
  • Sub-Groups
  • Tags
  • More
  • Cancel
  • New
Join Community Hub to participate - click to join for free!
Actions
  • Share
  • More
  • Cancel
Forum Thread Details
  • Replies 47 replies
  • Subscribers 637 subscribers
  • Views 3673 views
  • Users 0 members are here
Related

Surplus electronics shops

Workshopshed
Workshopshed over 8 years ago

You wanna see the coolest thing? Since e-ink displays don't require power except when they change, old parts bins full of used e-ink screens are little snapshots of history, as each display is still showing the last thing it ever showed.

https://t.co/01UQE4oDHg

imageimage

 

— foone (@Foone) February 25, 2018

 

This tweet today showed some cool surplus electronics at Hst /halted electronics supply in Santa Clara, CA. Does anyone know of real shops where you can walk in and buy old stuff like this?

 

I remember Harding's in Cheltenham but it's been years since I was there so I don't know if it's still going.

image

  • Sign in to reply
  • Cancel
Parents
  • danielw
    danielw over 8 years ago

    And just like that, Maplins (and toys R us in the UK) have gone into administration this morning.  At least Maplins is carrying on trading and attempting to be sold off as a going concern.

     

    I wonder if it's be better a bit out of town like a screw fix or a tool station?

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +4 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • shabaz
    shabaz over 8 years ago in reply to danielw

    That's a shame : ( Getting really awkward finding stuff locally. There's a (small) chain in the UK called Clas Ohlson (huge in Sweden), that sells some electronics stuff, like Arduino bits and pieces, and tools. Worth visiting if there is one nearby, they kind of have something for everyone!

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +4 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • the48sicks
    the48sicks over 8 years ago in reply to shabaz

    We had a big Clas Ohlson in Watford shabaz but it closed down about a year ago.  It was very handy to get your hands on all sorts of bits and bobs.

     

     

    Also i see Maplin has gone into Administration today. While the store was "Handy" if you needed something _now_ some of the prices did keep me away.

     

     

    Maybe keep an eye out for the reduced to clear sales!

     

     

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +4 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • Workshopshed
    Workshopshed over 8 years ago in reply to shabaz

    I could do with a project box. Might stop in one evening this week

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +2 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • danielw
    danielw over 8 years ago in reply to the-dubster

    I went in for breadboard and had a look round on Saturday, the guy serving me seemed to think they had a month maybe two left. He did seem a bit down.  The shop was reasonably busy but not many buying, I think they were hoping to get a 4k video drone for a tenner!

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +5 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • the-dubster
    the-dubster over 8 years ago in reply to shabaz

    I'm keeping my eyes on this, I'll feel a bit mean waiting until the stuff is really cheap before buying it, but a saving is a saving.

     

    It's the staff I feel for, I wonder if they think 'where were you lot when we needed the money'? image

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +6 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • shabaz
    shabaz over 8 years ago in reply to neilk

    I went today (I needed something at short notice) but many of the things at 10-20% discount are still overpriced and not that interesting anyway : (

    Still, wire (including enamelled copper wire) was discounted to 50% so that was good : ) And also plastic and metal project boxes are at that 50% discount too.

    Also, packs of resistors at 50% discount seemed worth it.

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +5 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • neilk
    neilk over 8 years ago in reply to beacon_dave

    Beat me to it.

     

    I've just had a prowl around my local store and can confirm those discounts on the ground: sadly, various things I've been thinking about for a while have already sold out image.

     

    Neil

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +2 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
Reply
  • neilk
    neilk over 8 years ago in reply to beacon_dave

    Beat me to it.

     

    I've just had a prowl around my local store and can confirm those discounts on the ground: sadly, various things I've been thinking about for a while have already sold out image.

     

    Neil

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +2 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
Children
  • Workshopshed
    Workshopshed over 8 years ago in reply to shabaz

    I could do with a project box. Might stop in one evening this week

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +2 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • danielw
    danielw over 8 years ago in reply to the-dubster

    I went in for breadboard and had a look round on Saturday, the guy serving me seemed to think they had a month maybe two left. He did seem a bit down.  The shop was reasonably busy but not many buying, I think they were hoping to get a 4k video drone for a tenner!

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +5 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • the-dubster
    the-dubster over 8 years ago in reply to shabaz

    I'm keeping my eyes on this, I'll feel a bit mean waiting until the stuff is really cheap before buying it, but a saving is a saving.

     

    It's the staff I feel for, I wonder if they think 'where were you lot when we needed the money'? image

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +6 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • shabaz
    shabaz over 8 years ago in reply to neilk

    I went today (I needed something at short notice) but many of the things at 10-20% discount are still overpriced and not that interesting anyway : (

    Still, wire (including enamelled copper wire) was discounted to 50% so that was good : ) And also plastic and metal project boxes are at that 50% discount too.

    Also, packs of resistors at 50% discount seemed worth it.

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +5 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
element14 Community

element14 is the first online community specifically for engineers. Connect with your peers and get expert answers to your questions.

  • Members
  • Learn
  • Technologies
  • Challenges & Projects
  • Products
  • Store
  • About Us
  • Feedback & Support
  • FAQs
  • Terms of Use
  • Privacy Policy
  • Legal and Copyright Notices
  • Sitemap
  • Cookies

An Avnet Company © 2026 Premier Farnell Limited. All Rights Reserved.

Premier Farnell Ltd, registered in England and Wales (no 00876412), registered office: Farnell House, Forge Lane, Leeds LS12 2NE.

Follow element14

  • X
  • Facebook
  • linkedin
  • YouTube