element14 Community
element14 Community
    Register Log In
  • Site
  • Search
  • Log In Register
  • Community Hub
    Community Hub
    • What's New on element14
    • Feedback and Support
    • Benefits of Membership
    • Personal Blogs
    • Members Area
    • Achievement Levels
  • Learn
    Learn
    • Ask an Expert
    • eBooks
    • element14 presents
    • Learning Center
    • Tech Spotlight
    • STEM Academy
    • Webinars, Training and Events
    • Learning Groups
  • Technologies
    Technologies
    • 3D Printing
    • FPGA
    • Industrial Automation
    • Internet of Things
    • Power & Energy
    • Sensors
    • Technology Groups
  • Challenges & Projects
    Challenges & Projects
    • Design Challenges
    • element14 presents Projects
    • Project14
    • Arduino Projects
    • Raspberry Pi Projects
    • Project Groups
  • Products and Partners
    Products and Partners
    • Arduino
    • Avnet & Tria Boards Community
    • Dev Tools
    • Manufacturers
    • Multicomp Pro
    • Product Groups
    • Raspberry Pi
    • RoadTests & Reviews
  • About Us
    About the element14 Community
  • Store
    Store
    • Visit Your Store
    • Choose another store...
      • Europe
      •  Austria (German)
      •  Belgium (Dutch, French)
      •  Bulgaria (Bulgarian)
      •  Czech Republic (Czech)
      •  Denmark (Danish)
      •  Estonia (Estonian)
      •  Finland (Finnish)
      •  France (French)
      •  Germany (German)
      •  Hungary (Hungarian)
      •  Ireland
      •  Israel
      •  Italy (Italian)
      •  Latvia (Latvian)
      •  
      •  Lithuania (Lithuanian)
      •  Netherlands (Dutch)
      •  Norway (Norwegian)
      •  Poland (Polish)
      •  Portugal (Portuguese)
      •  Romania (Romanian)
      •  Russia (Russian)
      •  Slovakia (Slovak)
      •  Slovenia (Slovenian)
      •  Spain (Spanish)
      •  Sweden (Swedish)
      •  Switzerland(German, French)
      •  Turkey (Turkish)
      •  United Kingdom
      • Asia Pacific
      •  Australia
      •  China
      •  Hong Kong
      •  India
      •  Japan
      •  Korea (Korean)
      •  Malaysia
      •  New Zealand
      •  Philippines
      •  Singapore
      •  Taiwan
      •  Thailand (Thai)
      •  Vietnam
      • Americas
      •  Brazil (Portuguese)
      •  Canada
      •  Mexico (Spanish)
      •  United States
      Can't find the country/region you're looking for? Visit our export site or find a local distributor.
  • Translate
  • Profile
  • Settings
Community Hub
Community Hub
Member's Forum Magazines
  • Blog
  • Forum
  • Documents
  • Quiz
  • Events
  • Leaderboard
  • Polls
  • Files
  • Members
  • Mentions
  • Sub-Groups
  • Tags
  • More
  • Cancel
  • New
Join Community Hub to participate - click to join for free!
Actions
  • Share
  • More
  • Cancel
Forum Thread Details
  • Replies 26 replies
  • Subscribers 637 subscribers
  • Views 1996 views
  • Users 0 members are here
Related

Magazines

Workshopshed
Workshopshed over 8 years ago

I used to be an avid reader of Practical Electronics back in my youth but stopped reading when I realised that the projects were just repeating again and again.

 

Do people still read electronics magazines? Are they still relavent?

  • Sign in to reply
  • Cancel
  • danielw
    danielw over 8 years ago

    I have back issues in the loft for everyday, elector and practical from years ago.  when they had projects for add ons for your ZX spectrum!

    I then had circuit cellar and MagPi for a while too.  But now go to WHsmith and have a browse and pick one up if I see something that grabs my attention.

     

    I also have a stash of mini magazines and in them you see the same articles cropping up so I stopped them as well and just get one when it grabs my attention.  The free calendar in miniworld was an utter disappointment this year as only one month had minis  each month was a different advert for a different magazine by the publisher.

     

    Nearly all of my reading now is on line , or I watch youtube, which has better content than the tv most of the time...

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +2 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • genebren
    genebren over 8 years ago in reply to mcb1

    These are only part of the books that I packed and shipped when I moved 2 years ago.  I still have many boxes that I have not unpacked (and may never).  I am planning on building a shop/lab/office soon and hopefully once I move all of my tools/equipment into the shop, there might be enough room for more books.

    Gene

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +3 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • mcb1
    mcb1 over 8 years ago in reply to genebren

    I still look for good reference books from time to time, to add to my library.

    I need to add to my library ... not the books but the storage area.

    We had our placed painted a couple of years back and hence my library area got put away ... It's still put away, and I'm now deciding if and what I return to it.

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +4 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • genebren
    genebren over 8 years ago

    I use to subscribe to Circuit Cellar, Byte, Dr Dobbs and also receive multiple industry magazines.  It got to the point where the quality started dropping and they were not longer worth the money or the time that it took to read them.  The electronic copies of the magazines never seem right to me (I have a strange ability to pick up a magazine an flip to what I need, and the digital ones don't flip).  I have found my library of past issues do come in helpful from time-to-time.  I had one issue of Circuit Cellar that I took from job-to-job as it had some great articles on digital filtering that seem to always put into use.

     

    Like many of the other responses, these days, the internet seems to be my number one choice for most of my questions and/or interests that need answers.  I still look for good reference books from time to time, to add to my library.

    image

    Gene

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +3 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • the-dubster
    the-dubster over 8 years ago in reply to beacon_dave

    I do dig back into it every so often, I think I’ll check their Pi and Arduino titles though - thanks for the heads up!

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +1 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • beacon_dave
    beacon_dave over 8 years ago in reply to the-dubster

    It looks like you can get Elektor back issues on DVD-ROM as well.

    https://www.elektor.com/cd-dvds/

     

    Then there were the Elektor 301, 302, 303... Circuits books which were quite good - I still have a few of the earlier ones.

     

    I see that Elektor Publishing has expanded a bit with titles on Arduino, BBC micro:bit, ESP32 etc.

    https://www.elektor.com/books/     

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +3 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • gdstew
    gdstew over 8 years ago in reply to Workshopshed

    It was an excellent magazine for many years. I still have most of the ones I received when I subscribed to it.

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +1 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • gdstew
    gdstew over 8 years ago in reply to cozytom

    Yes I do, and I subscribed to it too. Several years ago I went through all my old tech magazines looking for ones with at least one

    article good enough to keep and threw away the rest. At least one Micro Cornucopia made the cut. Some of the others were:

     

    PC Techniques, MicroComputer, Microsystems, Micro Systems (a different magazine), Windows/DOS Developers Journal,

    Programmers Journal, and Embedded Systems Programming (another aimed more at professionals).

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up 0 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • Workshopshed
    Workshopshed over 8 years ago in reply to gdstew

    I used to get Dr Dobbs, very educational

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +3 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • mcb1
    mcb1 over 8 years ago

    We get Elektor (might have stopped lately) and Silicon Chip at work.

    Unfortunately Silicon Chip tends to be a little amatuer, but some of the content is interesting.

     

    Elecktor was a bit the other way with quite complicated projects and boards that required sending away.

     

    I often pickup a copy of Linux Format but it requires stopping at the particular retailer that carries it.

    I also read that interesting one called TheShed, however there is only one electronics artlcle and it's usually by some bloke no-one has heard of. image

     

     

    I still prefer paper to electronic, mainly because you can read it where ever, you can skip pages easily which some apps allow.

    A large A4 sized tablet would possibly suffice if the world of paper disappeared.

     

    I did download MagPi for a while, but I never seemed to have time to read the articles, howevr eventually there will be a day when I have time, but no ability to read or do the projects ... whichever comes first.

     

    Mark

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +6 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
>
element14 Community

element14 is the first online community specifically for engineers. Connect with your peers and get expert answers to your questions.

  • Members
  • Learn
  • Technologies
  • Challenges & Projects
  • Products
  • Store
  • About Us
  • Feedback & Support
  • FAQs
  • Terms of Use
  • Privacy Policy
  • Legal and Copyright Notices
  • Sitemap
  • Cookies

An Avnet Company © 2026 Premier Farnell Limited. All Rights Reserved.

Premier Farnell Ltd, registered in England and Wales (no 00876412), registered office: Farnell House, Forge Lane, Leeds LS12 2NE.

Follow element14

  • X
  • Facebook
  • linkedin
  • YouTube