element14 Community
element14 Community
    Register Log In
  • Site
  • Search
  • Log In Register
  • Community Hub
    Community Hub
    • What's New on element14
    • Feedback and Support
    • Benefits of Membership
    • Personal Blogs
    • Members Area
    • Achievement Levels
  • Learn
    Learn
    • Ask an Expert
    • eBooks
    • element14 presents
    • Learning Center
    • Tech Spotlight
    • STEM Academy
    • Webinars, Training and Events
    • Learning Groups
  • Technologies
    Technologies
    • 3D Printing
    • FPGA
    • Industrial Automation
    • Internet of Things
    • Power & Energy
    • Sensors
    • Technology Groups
  • Challenges & Projects
    Challenges & Projects
    • Design Challenges
    • element14 presents Projects
    • Project14
    • Arduino Projects
    • Raspberry Pi Projects
    • Project Groups
  • Products and Partners
    Products and Partners
    • Arduino
    • Avnet & Tria Boards Community
    • Dev Tools
    • Manufacturers
    • Multicomp Pro
    • Product Groups
    • Raspberry Pi
    • RoadTests & Reviews
  • About Us
    About the element14 Community
  • Store
    Store
    • Visit Your Store
    • Choose another store...
      • Europe
      •  Austria (German)
      •  Belgium (Dutch, French)
      •  Bulgaria (Bulgarian)
      •  Czech Republic (Czech)
      •  Denmark (Danish)
      •  Estonia (Estonian)
      •  Finland (Finnish)
      •  France (French)
      •  Germany (German)
      •  Hungary (Hungarian)
      •  Ireland
      •  Israel
      •  Italy (Italian)
      •  Latvia (Latvian)
      •  
      •  Lithuania (Lithuanian)
      •  Netherlands (Dutch)
      •  Norway (Norwegian)
      •  Poland (Polish)
      •  Portugal (Portuguese)
      •  Romania (Romanian)
      •  Russia (Russian)
      •  Slovakia (Slovak)
      •  Slovenia (Slovenian)
      •  Spain (Spanish)
      •  Sweden (Swedish)
      •  Switzerland(German, French)
      •  Turkey (Turkish)
      •  United Kingdom
      • Asia Pacific
      •  Australia
      •  China
      •  Hong Kong
      •  India
      •  Japan
      •  Korea (Korean)
      •  Malaysia
      •  New Zealand
      •  Philippines
      •  Singapore
      •  Taiwan
      •  Thailand (Thai)
      •  Vietnam
      • Americas
      •  Brazil (Portuguese)
      •  Canada
      •  Mexico (Spanish)
      •  United States
      Can't find the country/region you're looking for? Visit our export site or find a local distributor.
  • Translate
  • Profile
  • Settings
Community Hub
Community Hub
Member's Forum "What courses were most and least useful to you in your engineering career?"
  • Blog
  • Forum
  • Documents
  • Quiz
  • Events
  • Leaderboard
  • Polls
  • Files
  • Members
  • Mentions
  • Sub-Groups
  • Tags
  • More
  • Cancel
  • New
Join Community Hub to participate - click to join for free!
Actions
  • Share
  • More
  • Cancel
Forum Thread Details
  • Replies 21 replies
  • Subscribers 634 subscribers
  • Views 1709 views
  • Users 0 members are here
Related

"What courses were most and least useful to you in your engineering career?"

danzima
danzima over 8 years ago

Hey there, community! It's a pretty muggy Friday here in Chicago, but also it's Friday, so on the whole things are good.

 

One of our Chicago colleagues is writing an article for another publication on the topic "What courses were most and least useful to you in your engineering career?", and he thought it would be interesting to get input from our community, so I wanted to open the question up to the members area.

Any response that makes it into the article will be credited to you, so maybe that'll be the start of your second career as a public intellectual and you'll wind up doing TED talks in Palm Springs soon enough?

 

Thanks in advance for your input!

  • Sign in to reply
  • Cancel
Parents
  • shabaz
    shabaz over 8 years ago

    Hi Daniel!

     

    I feel the same as Gene, in that pretty much all courses were useful. Some vocational stuff can become obsolete quickly though.

    Bullets successfully dodged: B-ISDN, Microsoft certifications.

    Flak that hit me: I spent some time learning some voice technologies that are now obsolete - but still it was useful for a while, and was a spring-board to other stuff.

    Most useful for finding jobs for me: Micro-controllers and digital design, computer architecture, assembler, C - I felt a bit fake for the first year in my first real software engineering job, since I only knew C and assembler and no real computer science or engineering stuff, but I stuck at it for a few years, and read as much as I could, not just on language but also techniques and design patterns, did a formal course on server admin to use the machines at my disposal properly, and finally was confident enough to realise I was doing adequately, and that there are plenty of other things I'd picked up that helped in the job - such as some maths, and some knowledge of how processors worked.

     

    If I have to pick the least useful course from uni, for me personally it was accounting, I was just not interested in it and it showed in my test result (22%! : ) But apart from that, everything was either useful or interesting to me.

     

    I still try to select courses and webinars these days too, typically just single-day courses.

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +2 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • Jan Cumps
    Jan Cumps over 8 years ago in reply to shabaz

    shabaz  wrote:

     

    ....

     

    I still try to select courses and webinars these days too, typically just single-day courses.

    I do the same. My favourite one is the Coursera Power Electronics series (University of Boulder, Colorado). Switch mode power circuits are excellent tools to (re-)learn a wide (and tough) range of analog electronics concepts.

     

    I've also refreshed knowledge by completing the Coursera Linear Circuits training - Kirchhoff and Thevenin again, network resolving, impedance.

    All things that I got rusty on. It's been 30 years ago that I learned those.

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +4 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
Reply
  • Jan Cumps
    Jan Cumps over 8 years ago in reply to shabaz

    shabaz  wrote:

     

    ....

     

    I still try to select courses and webinars these days too, typically just single-day courses.

    I do the same. My favourite one is the Coursera Power Electronics series (University of Boulder, Colorado). Switch mode power circuits are excellent tools to (re-)learn a wide (and tough) range of analog electronics concepts.

     

    I've also refreshed knowledge by completing the Coursera Linear Circuits training - Kirchhoff and Thevenin again, network resolving, impedance.

    All things that I got rusty on. It's been 30 years ago that I learned those.

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +4 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
Children
No Data
element14 Community

element14 is the first online community specifically for engineers. Connect with your peers and get expert answers to your questions.

  • Members
  • Learn
  • Technologies
  • Challenges & Projects
  • Products
  • Store
  • About Us
  • Feedback & Support
  • FAQs
  • Terms of Use
  • Privacy Policy
  • Legal and Copyright Notices
  • Sitemap
  • Cookies

An Avnet Company © 2026 Premier Farnell Limited. All Rights Reserved.

Premier Farnell Ltd, registered in England and Wales (no 00876412), registered office: Farnell House, Forge Lane, Leeds LS12 2NE.

Follow element14

  • X
  • Facebook
  • linkedin
  • YouTube