element14 Community
element14 Community
    Register Log In
  • Site
  • Search
  • Log In Register
  • Community Hub
    Community Hub
    • What's New on element14
    • Feedback and Support
    • Benefits of Membership
    • Personal Blogs
    • Members Area
    • Achievement Levels
  • Learn
    Learn
    • Ask an Expert
    • eBooks
    • element14 presents
    • Learning Center
    • Tech Spotlight
    • STEM Academy
    • Webinars, Training and Events
    • Learning Groups
  • Technologies
    Technologies
    • 3D Printing
    • FPGA
    • Industrial Automation
    • Internet of Things
    • Power & Energy
    • Sensors
    • Technology Groups
  • Challenges & Projects
    Challenges & Projects
    • Design Challenges
    • element14 presents Projects
    • Project14
    • Arduino Projects
    • Raspberry Pi Projects
    • Project Groups
  • Products and Partners
    Products and Partners
    • Arduino
    • Avnet & Tria Boards Community
    • Dev Tools
    • Manufacturers
    • Multicomp Pro
    • Product Groups
    • Raspberry Pi
    • RoadTests & Reviews
  • About Us
    About the element14 Community
  • Store
    Store
    • Visit Your Store
    • Choose another store...
      • Europe
      •  Austria (German)
      •  Belgium (Dutch, French)
      •  Bulgaria (Bulgarian)
      •  Czech Republic (Czech)
      •  Denmark (Danish)
      •  Estonia (Estonian)
      •  Finland (Finnish)
      •  France (French)
      •  Germany (German)
      •  Hungary (Hungarian)
      •  Ireland
      •  Israel
      •  Italy (Italian)
      •  Latvia (Latvian)
      •  
      •  Lithuania (Lithuanian)
      •  Netherlands (Dutch)
      •  Norway (Norwegian)
      •  Poland (Polish)
      •  Portugal (Portuguese)
      •  Romania (Romanian)
      •  Russia (Russian)
      •  Slovakia (Slovak)
      •  Slovenia (Slovenian)
      •  Spain (Spanish)
      •  Sweden (Swedish)
      •  Switzerland(German, French)
      •  Turkey (Turkish)
      •  United Kingdom
      • Asia Pacific
      •  Australia
      •  China
      •  Hong Kong
      •  India
      •  Japan
      •  Korea (Korean)
      •  Malaysia
      •  New Zealand
      •  Philippines
      •  Singapore
      •  Taiwan
      •  Thailand (Thai)
      •  Vietnam
      • Americas
      •  Brazil (Portuguese)
      •  Canada
      •  Mexico (Spanish)
      •  United States
      Can't find the country/region you're looking for? Visit our export site or find a local distributor.
  • Translate
  • Profile
  • Settings
Community Hub
Community Hub
Member's Forum Old Newbie
  • Blog
  • Forum
  • Documents
  • Quiz
  • Events
  • Leaderboard
  • Polls
  • Files
  • Members
  • Mentions
  • Sub-Groups
  • Tags
  • More
  • Cancel
  • New
Join Community Hub to participate - click to join for free!
Actions
  • Share
  • More
  • Cancel
Forum Thread Details
  • Replies 9 replies
  • Subscribers 634 subscribers
  • Views 850 views
  • Users 0 members are here
  • new_member_introduction
Related

Old Newbie

leviset
leviset over 7 years ago

Just joined this community. I’m a retired Pure Mathematician aged 70. I started my first IT job in 1979, programming an HP-97 Desktop Programmable Calculator and then in 1982 I was in the very vanguard of the PC Revolution working on a Sirius 1 computer running under CP/M 80 & 86 with an Intel 8088 & 8086 architecture.

Since retiring early in 2004 I’ve gone back to my early vintage programmable days using calculators like the HP-41CX, TI-59, Sharp PC-1500/A etc.

I’m fine on the Pure Mathematics and Algorithms side but rubbish on the application side of electronics - the main reason I’ve joined is to try and improve my overall EE skills

  • Sign in to reply
  • Cancel
Parents
  • colporteur
    colporteur over 7 years ago

    Welcome. My tree rings do not exceed your count but the year you started IT was just shy by two years of when I started a career in electronics. I built my first pirated apple IIe not long after.

     

    Your Ti calculator reference caused me to remember my Ti-66. That sucker saved my bacon in the high arctic by doing 2 cycle analysis on RF waveform readings avoiding the painstaking task of performing the math manually.

     

    I do recall a civil engineering friend of mine playing a game on a calculator similar to yours. The game was to land a space ship on a planet by entering rates of fuel burn. You had to adjust the fuel burn to reduce the vertical velocity of the space craft. Hit the planet to hard and the ship was destroyed. No graphics provided just changing numbers on a calculator screen. I never ever successfully landed but my friend got very good at it. Evne to this day, not much of a gamer.

     

    Thank you for triggering a core refresh of brain cells I thought had atrophied.

     

    Sean

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +5 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
Reply
  • colporteur
    colporteur over 7 years ago

    Welcome. My tree rings do not exceed your count but the year you started IT was just shy by two years of when I started a career in electronics. I built my first pirated apple IIe not long after.

     

    Your Ti calculator reference caused me to remember my Ti-66. That sucker saved my bacon in the high arctic by doing 2 cycle analysis on RF waveform readings avoiding the painstaking task of performing the math manually.

     

    I do recall a civil engineering friend of mine playing a game on a calculator similar to yours. The game was to land a space ship on a planet by entering rates of fuel burn. You had to adjust the fuel burn to reduce the vertical velocity of the space craft. Hit the planet to hard and the ship was destroyed. No graphics provided just changing numbers on a calculator screen. I never ever successfully landed but my friend got very good at it. Evne to this day, not much of a gamer.

     

    Thank you for triggering a core refresh of brain cells I thought had atrophied.

     

    Sean

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +5 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
Children
No Data
element14 Community

element14 is the first online community specifically for engineers. Connect with your peers and get expert answers to your questions.

  • Members
  • Learn
  • Technologies
  • Challenges & Projects
  • Products
  • Store
  • About Us
  • Feedback & Support
  • FAQs
  • Terms of Use
  • Privacy Policy
  • Legal and Copyright Notices
  • Sitemap
  • Cookies

An Avnet Company © 2026 Premier Farnell Limited. All Rights Reserved.

Premier Farnell Ltd, registered in England and Wales (no 00876412), registered office: Farnell House, Forge Lane, Leeds LS12 2NE.

Follow element14

  • X
  • Facebook
  • linkedin
  • YouTube