This poll has ended. Many thanks to our three finalists for entering, and to everyone who contributed their votes!
Farnell element14, The Development Distributor, and Keysight Technologies are giving education organisations in the UK the opportunity to have their teaching space refurbished, with our Win a Lab Makeover UK competition. The winner will receive an upgrade for their Electronics Engineering or Technician’s lab with a value of £6500!
The competition ran through March and April, and over 35 universities and colleges all over the UK entered to win this exciting prize.
Schools, universities, and other education charities were invited to submit their establishment to be considered for a lab makeover worth up to £3,500. Farnell element14 has also partnered with Keysight to support the competition by giving away five InfiniVision 1000 X-Series Oscilloscopes, worth over £600 each, to the winning organisation to be used in their newly refurbished lab space. Farnell element14 has launched the initiative as it recognises that the right environment and equipment is vital to giving students the tools and support they need make the right start in their engineering careers.
Representatives from Keysight and Farnell element14 narrowed these entries down to three institutions that are passionate about electronic engineering and their students. Each establishment has their own unique reasons for needing this refurbishment, so it is up to you to decide who you think should win.
Read through each of the entries below, and cast your vote now! Entries will be collected until 5pm UK time on Friday, 2nd June, and the winner will be announced on Monday, 5th June.
As the Development Distributor, Farnell element14 works with leading brands and start-ups to develop new products for market, sponsors an innovation accelerator ‘startupbootcamp IoT,’ and provides a forum for engineers to share ideas and projects through its leading element14 Community.
Said Peter Birks, European Business President for Farnell element14:
“At Farnell element14 we are committed to introducing young people into the world of coding and helping them on their learning journey from student to maker to professional engineer. We do this in so many ways – right from manufacturing coding devices that spark an interest in coding from a young age, to supporting next steps as an official manufacturer of two of the most popular maker boards in the world, Raspberry Pi and BeagleBone Black.
“In education, we provide guidance and support through online resources available from the STEM Academy and our widely used element14 Community, which has over 450,000 members. Right here in the UK, we work with Leeds Beckett University, providing access to our lab facilities for project work, as well as an accredited module for their Electronics degree course. This competition recognises the strong engineering heritage we have the in UK, and the importance of investing in education to ensure that this continues.”
Farnell element14 is part of the Premier Farnell group of businesses, a global technology leader with over 80 years in the high service distribution of technology products and solutions for electronic system design, production, maintenance and repair. Premier Farnell uses this experience to support its broad customer base, from hobbyists to engineers, maintenance engineers and buyers as ‘The Development Distributor’, working with leading brands and start-ups to develop new products for market, and supporting the industry as it seeks to develop the current and next generation of engineers.
Premier Farnell focuses its offering around four core customer journeys:
Premier Farnell is a business unit of Avnet Electronics Marketing, the components operating group of Avnet, Inc., (NYSE:AVT). Premier Farnell trades as Farnell element14 in Europe, Newark element14 in North America, and element14 throughout Asia Pacific. The Premier Farnell Group is supported by a global supply chain of more than 3,500 suppliers and has an extensive inventory profile developed to anticipate and meet the needs of innovative customers everywhere.Key facts:
- Education to Maker – Premier Farnell is an official manufacturer of two of the most popular Maker Boards, Raspberry Pi and Beaglebone Black, and exclusive manufacturer of educational programming boards such as the BBC micro:bit and Codebug. Customers are supported through element14.com, the largest online engineering and maker community, also providing support to educators and parents through its new STEM space.
- Research and Design Services - Premier Farnell is the No.1 for Development Kits, having worked with the world’s leading Semiconductor companies to design and manufacture their latest development boards in house. A deep understanding and design knowledge of the latest Semiconductor Devices available also supports Premier Farnell’s broader design assistance offering, providing a similar service to customers of all sizes who are seeking additional engineering support.
- Design through to Production – Premier Farnell provides an entire solution for design to manufacturing customers, with the broadest range of Semiconductor and Passive inventory available, a world class line card, same day despatch, a strong board level Interconnect proposition and growing Electromechanical proposition. In addition, it has the technical support capabilities to meet all customers’ needs, from simple cross-reference to complex design.
- Bench to Board – Premier Farnell offers one of the industry’s broadest ranges of Test & Measurement equipment and a leading line card for all Tool & Production supplies supporting customers from the testing of initial designs to delivering essential maintenance activity to keep their operations running.
- Operations in 38 countries and 43 local language transactional websites
- More than 3,500 leading suppliers
- More than 650,000 products stocked with access to over four million more on demand
- More than 440,000 members of the element14 community
- Leaders in providing information on REACH, Conflict Minerals and EU RoHS legislation
For more information, visit the website at http://www.premierfarnell.com