Create a Smart TV using Raspberry Pi and OSMC
This kit will help you to build a fully functional HD-ready media center (or turn you pl;ld TV into Smart TV) for all your movies, music and TV. Turn you raspberry Pi into streaming powerhouse - thanks to OSMC, a version of Kodi (formerly XBMC) optimised for Raspberry Pi.
- Project level: Beginner
- Approximate time to complete: 20 minutes
Get the Kit:
(you can remove individual item(s) at the cart )
- or HDMI monitor with HDMI cable
1. Download the full Raspberry Pi NOOBS images from HERE. Raspbmc is one of the default OS options pre-packaged with the Raspberry Pi Foundation’s NOOBS installer.
2. Insert the uSD card into RPi, connect the HDMI cable you your HDMI monitor or TV, connect keyboard & mouse and finally connect the supplied RPi power supply to power up the Raspberry Pi.
3. Now simply follow the simple RPi setup and when prompted to select a distro package to install, select Raspbmc from the list rather than Raspbian.
4. Once it’s installed and booted up, the first thing you’ll want to do is connect to your Wi-Fi network. Head over to the Programs tab using keyboard & mouse, and go into the Raspbmc Settings menu. The Network tab of this menu will allow you to edit your wireless configuration by entering your network name and password, after which you should be fully connected.
5. If your TV supports HDMI CEC, your standard TV remote will work just fine or if you have a smartphone or tablet, you can also use that to control your Pi using open source remote apps and link it to your Raspbmc by entering the MAC address and port details, which can be found in Raspbmc’s system menu.
6. With all that done, you’re ready to start streaming all your content, instantly and in HD.