element14 Community
element14 Community
    Register Log In
  • Site
  • Search
  • Log In Register
  • Community Hub
    Community Hub
    • What's New on element14
    • Feedback and Support
    • Benefits of Membership
    • Personal Blogs
    • Members Area
    • Achievement Levels
  • Learn
    Learn
    • Ask an Expert
    • eBooks
    • element14 presents
    • Learning Center
    • Tech Spotlight
    • STEM Academy
    • Webinars, Training and Events
    • Learning Groups
  • Technologies
    Technologies
    • 3D Printing
    • FPGA
    • Industrial Automation
    • Internet of Things
    • Power & Energy
    • Sensors
    • Technology Groups
  • Challenges & Projects
    Challenges & Projects
    • Design Challenges
    • element14 presents Projects
    • Project14
    • Arduino Projects
    • Raspberry Pi Projects
    • Project Groups
  • Products
    Products
    • Arduino
    • Avnet & Tria Boards Community
    • Dev Tools
    • Manufacturers
    • Multicomp Pro
    • Product Groups
    • Raspberry Pi
    • RoadTests & Reviews
  • About Us
    About the element14 Community
  • Store
    Store
    • Visit Your Store
    • Choose another store...
      • Europe
      •  Austria (German)
      •  Belgium (Dutch, French)
      •  Bulgaria (Bulgarian)
      •  Czech Republic (Czech)
      •  Denmark (Danish)
      •  Estonia (Estonian)
      •  Finland (Finnish)
      •  France (French)
      •  Germany (German)
      •  Hungary (Hungarian)
      •  Ireland
      •  Israel
      •  Italy (Italian)
      •  Latvia (Latvian)
      •  
      •  Lithuania (Lithuanian)
      •  Netherlands (Dutch)
      •  Norway (Norwegian)
      •  Poland (Polish)
      •  Portugal (Portuguese)
      •  Romania (Romanian)
      •  Russia (Russian)
      •  Slovakia (Slovak)
      •  Slovenia (Slovenian)
      •  Spain (Spanish)
      •  Sweden (Swedish)
      •  Switzerland(German, French)
      •  Turkey (Turkish)
      •  United Kingdom
      • Asia Pacific
      •  Australia
      •  China
      •  Hong Kong
      •  India
      •  Japan
      •  Korea (Korean)
      •  Malaysia
      •  New Zealand
      •  Philippines
      •  Singapore
      •  Taiwan
      •  Thailand (Thai)
      •  Vietnam
      • Americas
      •  Brazil (Portuguese)
      •  Canada
      •  Mexico (Spanish)
      •  United States
      Can't find the country/region you're looking for? Visit our export site or find a local distributor.
  • Translate
  • Profile
  • Settings
RoadTests & Reviews
  • Products
  • More
RoadTests & Reviews
RoadTest Forum POST 3 What is in the box... Red Pitaya STEMlab 125-14 PRO Gen 2 Starter Kit
  • Blogs
  • Forum
  • Documents
  • RoadTests
  • Reviews
  • Polls
  • Files
  • Members
  • Sub-Groups
  • More
  • Cancel
  • New
Join RoadTests & Reviews to participate - click to join for free!
Actions
  • Share
  • More
  • Cancel
Forum Thread Details
  • Replies 14 replies
  • Subscribers 2748 subscribers
  • Views 418 views
  • Users 0 members are here
  • RoadTest
  • test equipment
  • red pitaya
Related

POST 3 What is in the box... Red Pitaya STEMlab 125-14 PRO Gen 2 Starter Kit

colporteur
colporteur 10 days ago

I've discovered that the documentation is significantly behind the product supplied for this RoadTest. I would have liked to provide the resource I discovered that my fellow RoadTester could use and not have to visit the dead end rabbit warrens that I have traveled.

image

It appears this is the unit used for the documentation. Notice next to the RJ45 connector the narrow silver case of a USB-A socket.

image

We are provided this unit. Note the USB is not present.

image

In addition, the kit comes with a QSPI eMCC module. It mates with the E3 connector on the board. This module promises to eliminate the need for the SD card, if it only worked!

I've discovered the firmware for this module has changed (as promised in documentation). I have been unsuccessful in trying to load the OS to this module in the current firmware version because of the watchdog timer. It reboots the OS when it fails to get a proper response. It has to be disabled to load the OS (through a USB port that doesn't exist) into the module. A github dev version I found appears to fix the issue.

The documentation is for the board I don't have so even if I solve the watchdog timer issue my board doesn't have the USB-A port to move the OS.

After backing out of the last warren run that ended in a dead end, I've sent an email to Red Pitaya support for assistance.

My intent was to get a stable Pitaya platform to pursue SDR objectives. A self contained bootable Pitaya I felt was a reasonable starting point. That would give me a chance to explore the setup and then investigate SDR. That setup part is proving to be a bit of a challenge.

Getting the OS working was a struggle. I'm going to park the module boot option until I get a response from support.

  • Sign in to reply
  • Cancel
Parents
  • beacon_dave
    beacon_dave 10 days ago
    colporteur said:
    through a USB port that doesn't exist

    Aren't you supposed to use the USB C console port on the back on the Gen 2 versions ?

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up 0 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • obones
    obones 10 days ago in reply to beacon_dave

    Yes, the documentation talks about using the CON port which is one of the three USB-C connectors on the underside.

    It also warns about that watchdog and has the following suggestion:

    Two options are available to disable the watchdog:

    Option 1 — Edit the E3 module firmware (currently supported)

    Modify the E3 module firmware source code to disable the watchdog timer check, then re-flash the STM32 microcontroller on the QSPI eMMC module before proceeding with the eMMC flashing steps.

    Refer to the E3 QSPI eMMC module software guide for instructions on building and programming the E3 firmware.

    Option 2 — Send the watchdog disable command via I2C (available in a future OS version)

    A future Red Pitaya OS version will include support for sending a watchdog disable command to the E3 module via I2C before rebooting into U-boot. When this feature is available, the firmware modification in Option 1 will no longer be required.

    Refer to the E3 I2C controller utility for information about I2C commands supported by the E3 module.

    Option 2 is apparently out of the equation, so one must reflash the STM32 controller on the eMMC module, as described here: https://redpitaya.readthedocs.io/en/latest/developerGuide/software/system_development/e3_software/QSPI_eMMC_sw/QSPI_eMMC_software.html#e3-qspi-emmc-module-sw

    But honestly, this feels like quite a daunting task as its first requirement is to have access to a ST-Link/V2 programmer which is not something that I have here anyway.

    I believe I'll do one very long post for this review, but this one thing that is starting to come through in my early testing: It's not a simple device and the learning curve is quite steep.

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up 0 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • beacon_dave
    beacon_dave 9 days ago in reply to obones
    obones said:
    Option 2 is apparently out of the equation

    The changelog appears to show that e3_i2c tools were added under 2.07-43:

    New Tools: Introduced updater_tool, profiles_tool, e3_led_controller, and e3_i2c tools.

    so option 2 may now be an option.

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up 0 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • colporteur
    colporteur 6 days ago in reply to beacon_dave

    You have more gray matter in this area than myself BD. Through all my efforts the watchdog timer starts after approx 7 seconds. Even if I was to get it to stop, I'm not sure I can load the eMCC module. The latest response from an email I sent to tech support has encourage me to look at other objectives.

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up 0 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • beacon_dave
    beacon_dave 6 days ago in reply to obones

    I guess this is what they are referring to ?
    "...Modify the E3 module firmware source code to disable the watchdog timer check..."

    imagehttps://github.com/RedPitaya/RedPitaya-Examples/blob/main/E3_source_code/QSPI_eMMC_code.ino

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up 0 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
Reply
  • beacon_dave
    beacon_dave 6 days ago in reply to obones

    I guess this is what they are referring to ?
    "...Modify the E3 module firmware source code to disable the watchdog timer check..."

    imagehttps://github.com/RedPitaya/RedPitaya-Examples/blob/main/E3_source_code/QSPI_eMMC_code.ino

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up 0 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
Children
  • colporteur
    colporteur 6 days ago in reply to beacon_dave

    You have more gray matter in this area than myself BD. Through all my efforts the watchdog timer starts after approx 7 seconds. Even if I was to get it to stop, I'm not sure I can load the eMCC module. The latest response from an email I sent to tech support has encourage me to look at other objectives.

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up 0 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
element14 Community

element14 is the first online community specifically for engineers. Connect with your peers and get expert answers to your questions.

  • Members
  • Learn
  • Technologies
  • Challenges & Projects
  • Products
  • Store
  • About Us
  • Feedback & Support
  • FAQs
  • Terms of Use
  • Privacy Policy
  • Legal and Copyright Notices
  • Sitemap
  • Cookies

An Avnet Company © 2026 Premier Farnell Limited. All Rights Reserved.

Premier Farnell Ltd, registered in England and Wales (no 00876412), registered office: Farnell House, Forge Lane, Leeds LS12 2NE.

Follow element14

  • X
  • Facebook
  • linkedin
  • YouTube