The Android 4.0 SDK for TI's Sitara ARM Cortex-A8 processors is available for free download today, with no development or production restrictions. Developers interested in experimenting with the latest Android code for Sitara can also visit the open source community at arowboat.org. Developers can begin evaluating on a variety of TI platforms including:
- Full-featured AM335x EVM (TMDXEVM3558)
- AM37x EVM (TMDXEVM3715) .
- from www.beagleboard.org .
- Flash Board, from www.theflashboard.com.
Although originally designed for mobile handsets, the Android Operating System offers designers of embedded applications the ability to easily add a high-level OS to their product. Developed in association with Google, Android delivers a complete operating system that is ready for integration and production today.
Highlights of the Android OS include:
- Complete, Open Source Software solution
- Based upon Linux
- Easy licensing terms for commercial development (Apache)
- Includes a complete Application Framework
- Allows for easy integration of customer developed Applications via Java
- Multimedia, Graphics, and Graphical User Interface are included out of the box
- A large community of Android and Applications developers are ready today
The Android Development Kit from TI is a complete software offering to allow developers of Sitara devices the ability to easily and quickly evaluate the Android OS. The kit provides a stable and fully tested software foundation that can be utilized on a wide range of Sitara hardware including Evaluation Modules and Beagleboard (beagleboard.org).
The development kits include:
- Linux Kernel
- 3-D Graphics OpenGL(r) Driver & Libraries
- Adobe Flash 10 libraries for Android
- RowboPERF, performance benchmarking application
- Example Applications including 3-D Graphics
- Host Tools
- Debugging options
- Complete documentation
Additional integrated features such as support for WLAN, Bluetooth(R),S-video,Component Video, Fastboot,Power Management,NAND UBIFS, Camera, HDMI, Gb Ethernet, Audio in/out, SATA, PCIe, and more are available depending on the hardware platform utilized. For a list of individual features of each release, please click the corresponding GET SOFTWARE button (above) to find Release Notes, related Guides and other documentation.
With the inclusion of OpenGL support, users will be able to accelerate the graphics functions included in Android for a smooth and robust user experience. While supporting numerous Sitara devices, developers can also take advantage of ARM(r) Cortex-A8 cores up to 1GHz and numerous peripherals to fit most embedded applications.
The Android Development Kit for Sitara devices is provided free of charge with no development or production restrictions. Developers who would like to experiment with the latest Android code for Sitara can also visit the open source community at arowboat.org. There, users can download the latest code as well as interact with other developers and users of the Android operating system.