I feel that I am missing something here, but maybe it's just me.
Are there ghosts around?
I feel that I am missing something here, but maybe it's just me.
Are there ghosts around?
Hi Obones,
No ghosts here!
I think many of us are still in the "staring at a blank sheet of paper" phase and trying to decide which direction to take. At least that's where I am.
So far my mind has wandered through all sorts of ideas: a pager-style system to locate bins, monitoring systems for noise, vibration, gases, odors or vandalism, intelligent action recognition around waste containers, automatic waste-sorting bins, sorting based on impact sound and vibration, recycling reward systems, alert beacons, and several others.
The problem is that every idea seems promising for about ten minutes, and then I find a technical, economic, or practical obstacle that makes me rethink everything.
Maybe that's actually a good topic for discussion. What ideas have other participants considered so far, and what were the main challenges that made you reject them?
It could be interesting to share concepts early, even if they're only half-baked. Sometimes another person sees a solution to the exact problem that made you abandon an idea.
Looking forward to hearing what everyone is thinking.
Ever seen the 1986 movie 'Malcolm' with the remote-controlled waste bins scene ?


Not seen that, but the local waste collection people gave me a little mini bin earlier this year (well, two by mistake, and I've not used either one so far..) with little wheels on them, turn them into something more useful. When I saw this challenge, it made me think maybe they needed electrical motion added to both (but lack of time.. : (
That film's definitely worth a watch. Just seeing those bins has Penguin Cafe Orchestra playing in my head.
That film's definitely worth a watch. Just seeing those bins has Penguin Cafe Orchestra playing in my head.
That film's definitely worth a watch.
It was released the same year as Crocodile Dundee, so it probably didn't get quite the same viewing that it deserved.
Just seeing those bins has Penguin Cafe Orchestra playing in my head.
Telephone and Rubber Band
Now I'm considering getting tickets to see Penguin Cafe Orchestra live...