First of All I would like to Thank Elemen14, Tektronix, Analog Devices, Leeds Beckett University and Electrolube for showing potential in my application and selecting the same for this challenge..
In my first blog post I would like to introduce my project proposal for your suggestions and feedbacks...
Project proposal: Designing of low cost and battery powered wearable sensor module to stream and monitor, vital body parameters of sport person on Android/IoS Smartphone and MacOS/Windows/Linux PC using WiFi or on MacOS/Windows/Linux PC using long range Sub GHz transceiver at monitoring station.
Vital body parameter includes,
- Real time three axis acceleration data of impact on head(Helmet), Chest and spinal column of sport person.
- Real time ECG Heart rate and body temperature.
Targeted sports: Football, American Football, Ice hockey, Car racing, Bike racing, Ski run and any other sport that required real time monitoring of sport person vital health parameter in field.
Description: The system consists of two subsystems.
- Wearable sensor modules
- Chest belt
- Long range Sub-GHz RF receiver module at monitoring station. (optional if WiFi range is not sufficient in large sport field like ski runs, mountain biking etc…)
1. A. Wearable sensor module as chest belt :
- Battery operated wearable chest belt includes High-g (ADXL377) and Low-g (ADXL362) accelerometer on chest and back, AD8232 heart rate monitor with ECG probes and ADT7420 and ADT7320 body temperature sensor.
- It also works as hub for other Helmet sensor module connected to this chest belt using wire (or wireless if it is inconvenient).
- CC3200 WiFi module will be used for transmitting all real time data to Monitoring Station (Smart Phone/PC) using UDP protocol to ensure data transfer at near real time. (I am targeting 500kbps data rate).
- If WiFi range is not sufficient, The module can transfer data to monitoring station using Long range Sub-GHz transceiver (This is my PlanB).
- Electrolube clear polyurethane resin will be used to mold the sensors to ensure convenient of player, Survival of system in multiple impacts, Water resistance and increase reuse cycle.
- This module will be powered by 3.7V rechargeable lithium battery and able to provide at least 120 Minutes of battery backup that will be sufficient in most of sports.
- To ensure ease of use of the system, This module have simple push button to turn it on.
- This module also provide alert of critical situation on monitoring station as well as using blinking of LED on module itself.
- Design and programming will be completely open source and I will try my best to design Arduino like liberary for this system.
1. B. Wearable sensor module at Helmet:
- ADXL377 and ADXL362 Accelerometer based module will be designed to measure acceleration / impact experienced on players head and mounted on helmet.
- This module sends data to chest belt module by wire (or wireless if it is inconvenient).
2. Long range Sub-GHz RF receiver module at monitoring station:
- This module is optional and only used if WiFi range is not sufficient in large sport field like ski runs, mountain biking etc…).
- By plugging this module in Laptop/PC USB port, all real time data will be available for analysis and visualization on Laptop/PC.
- Soft ware application for Smartphone and Laptop/PC will be designed using Java and Qt for provide graphical interface for visualize and analyze real time data.
- Option for storage of data will be also provided so further detailed analysis on data carried out. This application will be completely opensource.
- AD8232-EVALZ : As heart rate monitor
- EVAL-ADUCM350EBZ : AFE for other sensors
- EVAL-ADT7320FBZ : Body temperature sensor
- EVAL-ADXL375Z/ EVAL-ADXL375Z-M/ EVAL-ADXL377Z : High-g acceleration/ sudden impact measurement.
- EVAL-ADXL362Z /EVAL-ADXL362Z –MLP : Low-g acceleration measurement.
Here all this evaluation kits are used for initial prototyping purpose only but at final stage of development all important parts from kit will be integrated on standalone PCB to increase reliability of system, Improve form factor, Reduce cost and Make it wearable in true sense.
- Electrolube UR5562 and UR5041 - polyurethane resin for molding system parts on Helmet/ Chest belt.
- Tektronix TDS1202B-EDU DSO : Will be helpful as measuring instrument in prototyping process.
- ECG Probes (10 nos.) : $50
- PCB Design and fabrication: $100
- CC3200 Launch pad and LiPo Battery : $50
- Misc prototyping Components : $100
- Pair of Long range Sub-GHz RF transceiver: $50
Your feedback and suggestions are heartily welcome...