element14 Community
element14 Community
    Register Log In
  • Site
  • Search
  • Log In Register
  • Community Hub
    Community Hub
    • What's New on element14
    • Feedback and Support
    • Benefits of Membership
    • Personal Blogs
    • Members Area
    • Achievement Levels
  • Learn
    Learn
    • Ask an Expert
    • eBooks
    • element14 presents
    • Learning Center
    • Tech Spotlight
    • STEM Academy
    • Webinars, Training and Events
    • Learning Groups
  • Technologies
    Technologies
    • 3D Printing
    • FPGA
    • Industrial Automation
    • Internet of Things
    • Power & Energy
    • Sensors
    • Technology Groups
  • Challenges & Projects
    Challenges & Projects
    • Design Challenges
    • element14 presents Projects
    • Project14
    • Arduino Projects
    • Raspberry Pi Projects
    • Project Groups
  • Products and Partners
    Products and Partners
    • Arduino
    • Avnet & Tria Boards Community
    • Dev Tools
    • Manufacturers
    • Multicomp Pro
    • Product Groups
    • Raspberry Pi
    • RoadTests & Reviews
  • About Us
    About the element14 Community
  • Store
    Store
    • Visit Your Store
    • Choose another store...
      • Europe
      •  Austria (German)
      •  Belgium (Dutch, French)
      •  Bulgaria (Bulgarian)
      •  Czech Republic (Czech)
      •  Denmark (Danish)
      •  Estonia (Estonian)
      •  Finland (Finnish)
      •  France (French)
      •  Germany (German)
      •  Hungary (Hungarian)
      •  Ireland
      •  Israel
      •  Italy (Italian)
      •  Latvia (Latvian)
      •  
      •  Lithuania (Lithuanian)
      •  Netherlands (Dutch)
      •  Norway (Norwegian)
      •  Poland (Polish)
      •  Portugal (Portuguese)
      •  Romania (Romanian)
      •  Russia (Russian)
      •  Slovakia (Slovak)
      •  Slovenia (Slovenian)
      •  Spain (Spanish)
      •  Sweden (Swedish)
      •  Switzerland(German, French)
      •  Turkey (Turkish)
      •  United Kingdom
      • Asia Pacific
      •  Australia
      •  China
      •  Hong Kong
      •  India
      •  Japan
      •  Korea (Korean)
      •  Malaysia
      •  New Zealand
      •  Philippines
      •  Singapore
      •  Taiwan
      •  Thailand (Thai)
      •  Vietnam
      • Americas
      •  Brazil (Portuguese)
      •  Canada
      •  Mexico (Spanish)
      •  United States
      Can't find the country/region you're looking for? Visit our export site or find a local distributor.
  • Translate
  • Profile
  • Settings
element14's The Ben Heck Show
  • Challenges & Projects
  • element14 presents
  • element14's The Ben Heck Show
  • More
  • Cancel
element14's The Ben Heck Show
Forum Simple Circuit Design, Help me Ben, You're my Only Help.. or anyone else here
  • Blog
  • Forum
  • Documents
  • Polls
  • Files
  • Members
  • Mentions
  • Sub-Groups
  • Tags
  • More
  • Cancel
  • New
Join element14's The Ben Heck Show to participate - click to join for free!
Actions
  • Share
  • More
  • Cancel
Forum Thread Details
  • Replies 4 replies
  • Subscribers 30 subscribers
  • Views 544 views
  • Users 0 members are here
Related

Simple Circuit Design, Help me Ben, You're my Only Help.. or anyone else here

e14 Contributor
e14 Contributor over 14 years ago

Hey everybody,

 

I have my first set of studio strobe lights that have been sitting in the closet since I upgraded to alien bee's b800's and I'd like to pull them out of the closet due to their compact size and punch they deliver given their size. The only problem is they do not have a fast recycle time on full power and the indicator lamps are the only means of letting me know when they're ready to fire. So what I'm looking for is a simple basic 5 minute video from Ben, or a quick post from anyone who can assist which covers in detail how I might be able to acheive my end goal. y en

 

My end goal is to create an audible beep when the flash is ready (fully charged)

 


How I hope to accomplish this is tapping into the indicator lamp wires. From testing the lamp sits at 0.02v during the charge period, and then it ramps up anywher between 70V and 120V roughly.  I'm not sure exactly when the lamp kicks on because I think my $10 multimeter doesnt have the speed/resolution I need as the voltage climbs in a not so smooth manner. When the flash fires a shot, the lamp cuts off ( I think it ramp's down either that or my multimeter updates really slow) and it starts the charge process again sitting at 0.02V. 

 

I put a video demonstration of what it does, and what i'd like for it to do. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated and I will make a video implementing any working responses and give proper credit.

 

Here's a link to the youtube video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUfSKvLrPQ0

 

I figured this would be a really quick easy cheap back to the basics style electronics project Ben could use as filler material for one of his shows.

 

Thanks for your help everybody.

  • Sign in to reply
  • Cancel
  • YT2095
    YT2095 over 14 years ago

    these sound like Ne2 bulbs, they normally have a trigger voltage of about 90v and are quite high impedence up until they strike up, and are normally fed with a high value resistor (100k +).

    one idea would be to use a Low value resistor in line with this Ne2 bulb (say 1 or 2k) and use the P.D across it when the bulb lights, to trigger a transistors base, which will in turn activate your buzzer/beeper unit.

     

    there will be Other ideas though, so hang tight image

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up 0 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • e14 Contributor
    e14 Contributor over 14 years ago in reply to YT2095

    there is a resistor tied into the bulb, so im guessing it's what you say it is. here's a close up shot


    The bands are brown black yellow.  I was thinking of tapping directly to the 2 metal bases on the black plug and running that to a transistor but I was thinking, I want it to only beep once, so I was having trouble coming up with a way to charge a capacitor when the transistor is pulled low, then when its high, dump the capacitor out to my speaker (with bits in between to not blow the speaker/buzzer) but I'm an extreme novice and don't have a bunch of parts nor electronics to really scavange from at the moment. But I thank you for your reply, I'm sure someone's got just the diagram I need, I just need them to post it here, or have Ben take a stab at it. image

     

    BTW.. Great eye on the bulb. googled it and thats exactly what the bulb appears to be.

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up 0 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • YT2095
    YT2095 over 14 years ago in reply to e14 Contributor

    That is a 100K resistor that I mentioned, what you would need to do is find the Negative side of the bulb on the board, and put an additional 1-2K resistor in series with what you already have, and then Across that resistor the most Negative side would go to the Emitter if an NPN transistor, and the Base of that transistor to the other side of that resistor.

    this will give you a full negaive voltage terminal to use against any low voltage positive, with which you can do your beeper thing.

    you don`t want to put anything Across this bulb or its feed, unless it`s really high impedence, a small resistance can stop the bulb lighting entirely!

    a non-invasive series connection would be your best bet in my opinion.

    as for a single beep, well that would be another issue entirely, unless you wanted to use the Ne2 in a Relaxation Oscillator mode? or some sort of One-shot monostable?

     

    as for my Eyes, I didn`t look at any pictures, I just took an educated guess as that was what it was when you described it. (I`v not worn my glasses once today!) image

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up 0 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • e14 Contributor
    e14 Contributor over 14 years ago in reply to YT2095

    I'm not sure what i wanted to use.  No idea what relaxation oscillator mode was until I googled it. Along with one-shot monostable.  Google is my friend but after hours of searching for a solution I've yet to come up with a simple cheap method of implementing a single beep each time the light kicks on. I can do this using a Basic Stamp or Arduino, but there has to be a simple way of doing accomplishing this with a very small budget of say, $10-20 per strobe I own. n

     

    In a simple basic stamp or arduino, this is basically the pseudo code i'd use.

     

    BeepWhenReady: 

    DO

      IF inputVoltage > 1V THEN                                          'light is on

        beepOnce                                                                 'play audible tone

        DO                                                                           'wait for discharge

          IF inputVoltage < 1V THEN GOTO BeepWhenReady  'flash was fired

        LOOP

    LOOP


    Basically just need simple electronic components to perform this logic and the schematic on how to implement it. I'd even donate a few bucks to somebodies paypal for a working schematic/part list that proves to work, I'm just stuck and i've been wanting to accomplish this for some time now. even went as far as checking out a few books at the library to try to figure it out.

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up 0 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
element14 Community

element14 is the first online community specifically for engineers. Connect with your peers and get expert answers to your questions.

  • Members
  • Learn
  • Technologies
  • Challenges & Projects
  • Products
  • Store
  • About Us
  • Feedback & Support
  • FAQs
  • Terms of Use
  • Privacy Policy
  • Legal and Copyright Notices
  • Sitemap
  • Cookies

An Avnet Company © 2026 Premier Farnell Limited. All Rights Reserved.

Premier Farnell Ltd, registered in England and Wales (no 00876412), registered office: Farnell House, Forge Lane, Leeds LS12 2NE.

Follow element14

  • X
  • Facebook
  • linkedin
  • YouTube