Sure, I crushed a can using stepper motors, but turning on and positioning the CNC every time I need to crush one isn't very convenient - I drink a lot of diet Pepsi.
What are your ideas for an electric can crusher?
Sure, I crushed a can using stepper motors, but turning on and positioning the CNC every time I need to crush one isn't very convenient - I drink a lot of diet Pepsi.
What are your ideas for an electric can crusher?
Is there a reason for crushing the can in its vertical orientation? You're working against a cylinder that way, which is a structurally strong shape (no vertices to spread the load unequally). I propose a system that crushes cans that are lying down. A flat base with a sliding/crushing top, the top would stay perpendicular to the base, but move downwards at an angle (so it would fold the can more than crush it). The previous can could be ejected from the mechanism by the next one. Might need some sort of rubber inside to provide enough friction to keep the can relatively stable (you could even go the original Nike method - use a waffle iron to mold the rubber). This way, the force required is reduced both by attacking the can along its less stable axis and the amount of metal being crushed is reduced.
If I didn't phrase this very well, try laying a can on its side and then skating on it. That should demonstrate the concept.
I agree Ryan. I would flatten in the same way, but the desired effect may be to crush the can in the "crush can against head" fashion. Don't know.
I agree Ryan. I would flatten in the same way, but the desired effect may be to crush the can in the "crush can against head" fashion. Don't know.