element14 Community
element14 Community
    Register Log In
  • Site
  • Search
  • Log In Register
  • Community Hub
    Community Hub
    • What's New on element14
    • Feedback and Support
    • Benefits of Membership
    • Personal Blogs
    • Members Area
    • Achievement Levels
  • Learn
    Learn
    • Ask an Expert
    • eBooks
    • element14 presents
    • Learning Center
    • Tech Spotlight
    • STEM Academy
    • Webinars, Training and Events
    • Learning Groups
  • Technologies
    Technologies
    • 3D Printing
    • FPGA
    • Industrial Automation
    • Internet of Things
    • Power & Energy
    • Sensors
    • Technology Groups
  • Challenges & Projects
    Challenges & Projects
    • Design Challenges
    • element14 presents Projects
    • Project14
    • Arduino Projects
    • Raspberry Pi Projects
    • Project Groups
  • Products and Partners
    Products and Partners
    • Arduino
    • Avnet & Tria Boards Community
    • Dev Tools
    • Manufacturers
    • Multicomp Pro
    • Product Groups
    • Raspberry Pi
    • RoadTests & Reviews
  • About Us
    About the element14 Community
  • Store
    Store
    • Visit Your Store
    • Choose another store...
      • Europe
      •  Austria (German)
      •  Belgium (Dutch, French)
      •  Bulgaria (Bulgarian)
      •  Czech Republic (Czech)
      •  Denmark (Danish)
      •  Estonia (Estonian)
      •  Finland (Finnish)
      •  France (French)
      •  Germany (German)
      •  Hungary (Hungarian)
      •  Ireland
      •  Israel
      •  Italy (Italian)
      •  Latvia (Latvian)
      •  
      •  Lithuania (Lithuanian)
      •  Netherlands (Dutch)
      •  Norway (Norwegian)
      •  Poland (Polish)
      •  Portugal (Portuguese)
      •  Romania (Romanian)
      •  Russia (Russian)
      •  Slovakia (Slovak)
      •  Slovenia (Slovenian)
      •  Spain (Spanish)
      •  Sweden (Swedish)
      •  Switzerland(German, French)
      •  Turkey (Turkish)
      •  United Kingdom
      • Asia Pacific
      •  Australia
      •  China
      •  Hong Kong
      •  India
      •  Japan
      •  Korea (Korean)
      •  Malaysia
      •  New Zealand
      •  Philippines
      •  Singapore
      •  Taiwan
      •  Thailand (Thai)
      •  Vietnam
      • Americas
      •  Brazil (Portuguese)
      •  Canada
      •  Mexico (Spanish)
      •  United States
      Can't find the country/region you're looking for? Visit our export site or find a local distributor.
  • Translate
  • Profile
  • Settings
element14's The Ben Heck Show
  • Challenges & Projects
  • element14 presents
  • element14's The Ben Heck Show
  • More
  • Cancel
element14's The Ben Heck Show
Forum Raspberry Pi Model B laptop
  • Blog
  • Forum
  • Documents
  • Polls
  • Files
  • Members
  • Mentions
  • Sub-Groups
  • Tags
  • More
  • Cancel
  • New
Join element14's The Ben Heck Show to participate - click to join for free!
Actions
  • Share
  • More
  • Cancel
Forum Thread Details
  • Replies 25 replies
  • Subscribers 35 subscribers
  • Views 3217 views
  • Users 0 members are here
  • raspberry
  • lcd
  • 3d
  • pi
  • custom
  • diy
  • 3d_printing
  • challenge
  • printing
  • laptop
  • laser
  • linux
Related

Raspberry Pi Model B laptop

cmb271
cmb271 over 13 years ago

Hey Ben, I wanted to know if you can show me the best way to go about building a raspberry Pi Model B laptop, I need something light, simple and possibly good for someone with limited equipment. The idea is you have the raspberry Pi and you install the main things that makes a laptop well a laptop which in my book is a monitor, a mouse pad, a keybored, USB ports, WIFI, and battery system, I made up some blueprints but due to my limited software at the time of this idea it was made using a simple paint clone (Linux User). I found a image of something similar to what I want yet I was something bigger, more like a 13 inch or something, please Ben try it out or atleast tell me what would be a good alternative.

Attachments:
image
image
  • Sign in to reply
  • Cancel

Top Replies

  • benheck
    benheck over 13 years ago +1
    Here's a pic of a setup I'll build eventually. Raspberyy Pi, 2.4GHz wireless keypad (needs dongle). Asus N-10 Wi-Fi dongle (not shown) 7" LCD with touchscreen and HDMI from eBay.
Parents
  • fustini
    fustini over 13 years ago

    The Motorola Atrix lapdock makes for a pretty good Raspberry Pi laptop.  One challenge would be to create a mounting enclosure for the Pi that maintains the atheistic of the lapdock.  Also, this teardown might be interesting: http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/05/motorola-atrix-docks-literally-and-figuratively-torn-apart-hack/

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up 0 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • benheck
    benheck over 13 years ago in reply to fustini

    That Atrix is awesome! We hacked a Pi into it a few months back and stole power off the USB.

     

    That did work, but if you plugged basically anything else into it, it browned out.

     

    Still very cool and certainly worth $90 if you can find one.

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up 0 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • e14 Contributor
    e14 Contributor over 13 years ago in reply to benheck

    Ben, I'm still looking for a schematic for the daughter boards from your 'retro' video.. Specificly, the level transition chip used..  Would a 74LS24574LS245 TTL chip work? or is there something more stable going back<-->forth from the 3.3V to 5.0V signals?  The only thing I can't figure, is would I have to change the 245's VCC to 3.3V for transition from a TTL level to the Pi's 3.3?

     

    Stephen

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up 0 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • benheck
    benheck over 13 years ago in reply to e14 Contributor

    I think I know which chip you're talking about, what project was it for?

     

    I've use level chips for AVR-to-SD since SD is 3.3 volts.

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up 0 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • johnbeetem
    johnbeetem over 13 years ago in reply to e14 Contributor

    gelfling6 wrote:

     

    Ben, I'm still looking for a schematic for the daughter boards from your 'retro' video.. Specificly, the level transition chip used..  Would a Re: Raspberry Pi Model B laptop74LS245 TTL chip work? or is there something more stable going back<-->forth from the 3.3V to 5.0V signals?  The only thing I can't figure, is would I have to change the 245's VCC to 3.3V for transition from a TTL level to the Pi's 3.3?

    A 74LS24574LS245 is a 5V part and needs 4.5V to 5.5V to operate properly.  With a 5V supply, outputs typically reach 4V which is too high for RasPi.

     

    What converter circuit you need depends on which way the signals are going.  For example, if you're trying to convert a 5V output to a 3.3V input, you can get away with a resistive voltage divider, such as in this thread chez RasPi: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=22841 

     

    If you want bidirectional 5V protection, I like using an FET bus switch such as the IDT QS3245.  Here's an IDT app note on the subject: http://www.idt.com/document/11-5v-and-3v-conversion-zero-delay

     

    There's been lots of discussion on this topic at raspberrypi.org.  I recommend entering "5V level converter" in the Google search box on the top page and see if you can find something that matches your needs.

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up 0 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • e14 Contributor
    e14 Contributor over 13 years ago in reply to benheck

    Benjamin Heckendorn wrote:

     

    I think I know which chip you're talking about, what project was it for?

     

    I've use level chips for AVR-to-SD since SD is 3.3 volts.

     

    Hi Ben, This was in reguards to the Retro desktop using the Pi. (like the BBC micro)..  I was looking for the schematic, or at least a parts list for the daughter boards you were plugging in..  My main worry, is frying the GPIO of the Pi.. (and, as John Beetem just replied, Yeah.. scratch the idea of the 74LS24574LS245 as a buffer backward from 5V down to 3.3..

     

    John Beetem wrote:

     

    A 74LS24574LS245 is a 5V part and needs 4.5V to 5.5V to operate properly.  With a 5V supply, outputs typically reach 4V which is too high for RasPi.

     

    What converter circuit you need depends on which way the signals are going.  For example, if you're trying to convert a 5V output to a 3.3V input, you can get away with a resistive voltage divider, such as in this thread chez RasPi: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=22841 

     

    If you want bidirectional 5V protection, I like using an FET bus switch such as the IDT QS3245.  Here's an IDT app note on the subject: http://www.idt.com/document/11-5v-and-3v-conversion-zero-delay

     

    There's been lots of discussion on this topic at raspberrypi.org.  I recommend entering "5V level converter" in the Google search box on the top page and see if you can find something that matches your needs.

     

    The 74LS24574LS245 circuit is what I came up from, with the google search.. But, it still struck me as begging for trouble if you tried returning the signal, but not reducing the VCC voltage. 

     

    There doesn't seem to be much in the way of DIP chips (Sorry, I'm still back at the Breadboard experimenter level..)  for this putpose, except specialty chips..  I saw something about the TI sn74lvc8t245 , but can't find suppliers..  (and at present, on a zero income/purchase budget. So, trying to obtain a free sample, without a Company name, kinda defeats the purpose).. (I'm just a shade-tree hobbyist/experimenter/tinker.)

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up 0 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • benheck
    benheck over 13 years ago in reply to e14 Contributor

    Most MCU hobbyist stuff uses a buffer as level translation.

     

    You power the buffer with the target voltage (usually 3.3 volts) so it outputs at that level.

     

    Some 3.3v stuff is 5 volt tolerant, but the Raspberry Pi isn't. So you'd want to knock 5 down to 3.3 before letting it into the Pi.

     

    However, 3.3v coming out of the Pi is enough to trigger 5 volt logic, so you don't need a buffer in that direction.

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up 0 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
Reply
  • benheck
    benheck over 13 years ago in reply to e14 Contributor

    Most MCU hobbyist stuff uses a buffer as level translation.

     

    You power the buffer with the target voltage (usually 3.3 volts) so it outputs at that level.

     

    Some 3.3v stuff is 5 volt tolerant, but the Raspberry Pi isn't. So you'd want to knock 5 down to 3.3 before letting it into the Pi.

     

    However, 3.3v coming out of the Pi is enough to trigger 5 volt logic, so you don't need a buffer in that direction.

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up 0 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
Children
No Data
element14 Community

element14 is the first online community specifically for engineers. Connect with your peers and get expert answers to your questions.

  • Members
  • Learn
  • Technologies
  • Challenges & Projects
  • Products
  • Store
  • About Us
  • Feedback & Support
  • FAQs
  • Terms of Use
  • Privacy Policy
  • Legal and Copyright Notices
  • Sitemap
  • Cookies

An Avnet Company © 2026 Premier Farnell Limited. All Rights Reserved.

Premier Farnell Ltd, registered in England and Wales (no 00876412), registered office: Farnell House, Forge Lane, Leeds LS12 2NE.

Follow element14

  • X
  • Facebook
  • linkedin
  • YouTube