element14 Community
element14 Community
    Register Log In
  • Site
  • Search
  • Log In Register
  • Community Hub
    Community Hub
    • What's New on element14
    • Feedback and Support
    • Benefits of Membership
    • Personal Blogs
    • Members Area
    • Achievement Levels
  • Learn
    Learn
    • Ask an Expert
    • eBooks
    • element14 presents
    • Learning Center
    • Tech Spotlight
    • STEM Academy
    • Webinars, Training and Events
    • Learning Groups
  • Technologies
    Technologies
    • 3D Printing
    • FPGA
    • Industrial Automation
    • Internet of Things
    • Power & Energy
    • Sensors
    • Technology Groups
  • Challenges & Projects
    Challenges & Projects
    • Design Challenges
    • element14 presents Projects
    • Project14
    • Arduino Projects
    • Raspberry Pi Projects
    • Project Groups
  • Products and Partners
    Products and Partners
    • Arduino
    • Avnet & Tria Boards Community
    • Dev Tools
    • Manufacturers
    • Multicomp Pro
    • Product Groups
    • Raspberry Pi
    • RoadTests & Reviews
  • About Us
    About the element14 Community
  • Store
    Store
    • Visit Your Store
    • Choose another store...
      • Europe
      •  Austria (German)
      •  Belgium (Dutch, French)
      •  Bulgaria (Bulgarian)
      •  Czech Republic (Czech)
      •  Denmark (Danish)
      •  Estonia (Estonian)
      •  Finland (Finnish)
      •  France (French)
      •  Germany (German)
      •  Hungary (Hungarian)
      •  Ireland
      •  Israel
      •  Italy (Italian)
      •  Latvia (Latvian)
      •  
      •  Lithuania (Lithuanian)
      •  Netherlands (Dutch)
      •  Norway (Norwegian)
      •  Poland (Polish)
      •  Portugal (Portuguese)
      •  Romania (Romanian)
      •  Russia (Russian)
      •  Slovakia (Slovak)
      •  Slovenia (Slovenian)
      •  Spain (Spanish)
      •  Sweden (Swedish)
      •  Switzerland(German, French)
      •  Turkey (Turkish)
      •  United Kingdom
      • Asia Pacific
      •  Australia
      •  China
      •  Hong Kong
      •  India
      •  Japan
      •  Korea (Korean)
      •  Malaysia
      •  New Zealand
      •  Philippines
      •  Singapore
      •  Taiwan
      •  Thailand (Thai)
      •  Vietnam
      • Americas
      •  Brazil (Portuguese)
      •  Canada
      •  Mexico (Spanish)
      •  United States
      Can't find the country/region you're looking for? Visit our export site or find a local distributor.
  • Translate
  • Profile
  • Settings
element14's The Ben Heck Show
  • Challenges & Projects
  • element14 presents
  • element14's The Ben Heck Show
  • More
  • Cancel
element14's The Ben Heck Show
Forum Raspberry Pi 3D printers
  • Blog
  • Forum
  • Documents
  • Polls
  • Files
  • Members
  • Mentions
  • Sub-Groups
  • Tags
  • More
  • Cancel
  • New
Join element14's The Ben Heck Show to participate - click to join for free!
Actions
  • Share
  • More
  • Cancel
Forum Thread Details
  • State Verified Answer
  • Replies 12 replies
  • Answers 1 answer
  • Subscribers 33 subscribers
  • Views 1439 views
  • Users 0 members are here
  • 3d_printing
Related

Raspberry Pi 3D printers

tim12
tim12 over 13 years ago

Hi to all,

I'm buying a ubis hot end to make a 3D printer and found out that I can have a 3D printer by using the raspberry pi instead of a 3D printer. Here is the pdf from thingiverse:

 

http://thingiverse-production.s3.amazonaws.com/zipfiles/ec/dd/1f/04/ed/Pi-Bot_3d_printing_for_Raspberry_Pi.zip

 

Unfortunately, I am a total noob in 3D printers and I don't know where to start.image I also have a oxford smart kit series motor boat. On the cover it says that you builld a powerful electric motor, is this useful enough for 3D printers? I know that it works a D cell battery so how shall I power it. Thanks a lotimage

  • Sign in to reply
  • Cancel

Top Replies

  • e14 Contributor
    e14 Contributor over 13 years ago +1 verified
    Tim, I found your post on this forum and it raised an interesting question for me: Could I use a Rasberry Pi to make the 3d printers we sell stand alone (printing without a computer attached)? Currently…
Parents
  • tim12
    0 tim12 over 13 years ago

    What about this:

     

    http://bukobot.com/raspberry-pi

     

    Thanksimage

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up 0 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Verify Answer
    • Cancel
  • Nate1616
    0 Nate1616 over 13 years ago in reply to tim12

    Most websites like the ones you posted are using the pi to run the software that communicates to the board on the printer.  So you dont dirrectly run the printer from the pi.  The pi is running slic3r(slices 3d object up)  and Pronterface(takes the sliced file and tells printer where to move).  I personally wouldnt mess with the pi to run this software.  I did it to my pi but prefer to run the software on my mac.   As far as the bukabot that is a good printer.  I have seen these in action and they do a pretty good job printing.

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up 0 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Verify Answer
    • Cancel
  • tim12
    0 tim12 over 13 years ago in reply to Nate1616

    Instead of having an arduino, will this kit be any good, thanksimage:

     

    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3D-printer-RepRap-Sanguinololu-1-3a-electronic-controller-kit-unassembled-/321063630413?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Components_Supplies_ET&var=&hash=item4ac0e2364d

     

     

    The plans for my 3D printer is the double decker 3D printer except that it is one hot end. I've chosen this heatbed and I will put the glass ontop:

     

    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Prusa-Mendel-RepRap-3d-printer-2-part-heat-plate-support-table-225mm-x-225mm-/321075419956?pt=UK_BOI_Industrial_Automation_Control_ET&hash=item4ac1961b34

     

    The stepper motor is here:

     

    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEMA17-hi-torque-44N-cm-stepper-motor-1-8deg-Reprap-3D-printers-CNC-etc-/221160540459?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item337e32092b

    How many do I need (im following the plans of double decker 3D printer except I don't have themimage - i mean the idea of how it moves!)

     

    imageI also just want to add that I want my 3D printer to be sub or £125/$190.96.

     

    Thanks for your hard work!

     

    Tim

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up 0 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Verify Answer
    • Cancel
  • colecago
    0 colecago over 13 years ago in reply to tim12

    Good luck, the parts you have listed (counting 3 of those steppers) is already $100 (not including shipping).  You still need a hot end, stepper and gears for extruder, pulleys, belts, slides, all the supports, power supply.... for under $90 (to stay within $190 budget).

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up 0 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Verify Answer
    • Cancel
  • Nate1616
    0 Nate1616 over 13 years ago in reply to tim12

    Tim

    The Sanguinololu board is just fine to use.  It works geat but I have to agree with colecago that your budget of $191 is going to be impossible to stick to.  My first 3D printer cost around $400 to make.

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up 0 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Verify Answer
    • Cancel
  • tim12
    0 tim12 over 13 years ago in reply to Nate1616

    Will I have to solder anything and will i need an arduino? thanksimage Tim

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up 0 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Verify Answer
    • Cancel
Reply
  • tim12
    0 tim12 over 13 years ago in reply to Nate1616

    Will I have to solder anything and will i need an arduino? thanksimage Tim

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up 0 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Verify Answer
    • Cancel
Children
  • Nate1616
    0 Nate1616 over 13 years ago in reply to tim12

    Tim

    If you get the Sanguinololu from your link above you will not need an arduino and yes that kit above will need to be soldered.  You can find them already assembled if your not confortable soldering.  The stepper drivers you have selected will also work with the sanguinololu.

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up 0 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Verify Answer
    • Cancel
  • Nate1616
    0 Nate1616 over 13 years ago in reply to Nate1616

    Tim

    Feel free to send me any questions you have on 3d printers.  I would be more than happy to help you out.

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up 0 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Verify Answer
    • Cancel
element14 Community

element14 is the first online community specifically for engineers. Connect with your peers and get expert answers to your questions.

  • Members
  • Learn
  • Technologies
  • Challenges & Projects
  • Products
  • Store
  • About Us
  • Feedback & Support
  • FAQs
  • Terms of Use
  • Privacy Policy
  • Legal and Copyright Notices
  • Sitemap
  • Cookies

An Avnet Company © 2026 Premier Farnell Limited. All Rights Reserved.

Premier Farnell Ltd, registered in England and Wales (no 00876412), registered office: Farnell House, Forge Lane, Leeds LS12 2NE.

Follow element14

  • X
  • Facebook
  • linkedin
  • YouTube