Well, today was a bit of a fail. I was all set to make our ideas at least work a littel bit, but it all ended in tears. Well, almost. I had to raise my voice four times, and other teachers have probably by now figured out the reason: we had technical difficulties. For some reason the microbit.org site didnt work for me today. It froze halfway through my coding example, on two separate computers. The kids had issues as well and as I said, it almost ended in tears.
What I had planned for today was exploring servos and some more experimenting with bluetooth communications. We are looking for a good way to show time in a consistent way on the micro:bit. We decided that we would use seven micro:bits, one as a timekeeper and six others to display the digits. We have experimented some with binary, but 5 x 5 leds are a bit(!) few to get a true binary clock, we would really need 6x5 leds for that. We were also going to try out servos, but that failed due to the programming issues we experienced.
So, I dont know what else to say, except thanks to Element14 for this opportunity and that we are not finished yet. I will be back in a week or two with some working clocks, the project is still running. This spring I will do the same thing again with the other 21 kids I teach. I hope that what we learn then will give me, and hopefully others, some ideas about how to work with micro:bits in Sweden.