This week, I began work on the body temperature sensor. Since putting the sensor in the user’s mouth would be an annoyance and present a possible choking hazard when performing physical activities, we decided to aim for locating the sensor under the user’s armpit.
Below, you can see a picture of my test setup wiring connecting the temperature sensor to the Arduino Mega 2560 I’m using for prototyping purposes. I’ve included an American penny to give some reference for the size of the unit. For this unit, we’ve soldered pins to the terminals so that it’s easy to breadboard. The final version will need to be soldered directly to some high-durability shielded wire and installed into some kind of housing with a wire strain relief to ensure a longer life under, potentially, abusive conditions.
That's it for now. Next time, I'll delve into fabrication of the finished, ruggedized, probe.