The Z80 is still manufactured today and I was wondering whether there is any interest for a community or discussion group.
The Z80 is still manufactured today and I was wondering whether there is any interest for a community or discussion group.
Sorry for the belated response.
As for your evisaged trend, back in the mid 1980's we inserted C lines in our assembly language programs to expedite program development.
Prior to assembly a preprocessor was run to parse the C lines to generate the relevant assembly language instructions.
Most of what I did back in 80's and early 90's was writing software for the hardware, I designed and built.
I worked on the 8031/8751, 8085, and the Z80. On one occasion, I faced a challenge to build a Private Automatic Branch Exchange (PABX). The prototype was 8-Subscribers by 2-External lines. I planned to leave the majority of the tasks to be executed by the software to minimize hardware. At that time I was not well acquainted with Object Oriented programming, and everything had to be written in assembly. I realized from the start, in order to reach my goal successfully, I had to separate procedures/functions from data. Each subscriber/Extension had its set of data and flags as a separate entity. I needed a processor with a fair amount of ROM and RAM space, in addition to flexible addressing modes, comfortable room of internal registers, and unlimited stack space. There was critical timing involved, since everything was running in real time. At that time and for that specific project, the logical choice was the Z80 CPU.
All I had at the time was a PC-XT Amstrad running DOS, a Z80 cross assembler, a terminal app and a general purpose editor with a multi window feature. The target hardware was running a simple boot-loader/monitor program I wrote my self ... and that's it.
In my opinion, it is not the Z80, 6502, ATMega, or PIC. True, you have to make a choice on what resources you need for any specific task. However, what really matters here is the ecosystem behind the hardware of choice and whether there is an active community supporting the cause. I am very astonished here to find people still interested in the Z80!
If this enthusiasm builds up further then I won’t be surprised to find companies starting to re-invest in the Z80 and its chip-sets.
Moreover, Instead of inserting inline assembly code on a compiler, one day the trend might be; inserting inline high level code of the language of your choice in an assembly program.
Thank you all
It shouldn't cost you too much to get a Z80 and some support chips. I'd recommend the Z84C00 CMOS variant if because it has less limitations and some extra features.
The standard NMOS Z8400 part can't have a static clock signal whereas the CMOS version does.
You can be silly and make a flashing LED from a Z80 CPU ,a NE555 or crystal oscillator and a few 4k7 resistors. This doesn't really teach you much except that the Z80's NOP instruction is %00 (Hex) and if you've got an oscilloscope you can observe that the NOP instruction actually does something and the lower 7 bits of the address bus contain both the instruction fetch address and refresh RAM address.
You can get programming tools for the Z80 for free. Zilog offers ZDS2 for the eZ80. This can be used with the Z80 with a few tiny caveats. It even has a simulator and debugger.
Alternatively you can use one of the many emulators.
I am very interested in the Z80/Z180. I've wanted to build a a machine and see how much i can get out of this chip for 2 years now but sadly i am financially limited and have yet to obtain components to begin. I do know it is a widely available chip.
Hoping this still gets to you since this thread is old.....I have a question for you about the z80 which I do intend to use for some retro projects.
the new eZ80's..... they dont' have an M1 pin but they do have an INSTRD pin ( both active low) I am assuming this is doing the same thing?
Apparently that awful clock voltage gives all sorts of problems in old spectrums.
Anyway not sure if that what was specified or just what it would put up with!?!
(addendum to audio discussion)
It would seem that I was not right after all in stating that various audio debates have become a thing of the past.
(while visiting him, my son pointed this out to me:)
- (as to the objectivists vs. subjectivists debate) a class-D* power amp has been presented at recent Munich High-End Show**,
which is said to be "100% mathematically correct". The following statement, however, is the relevant one in our issue:
"We build what we simulate and simulate what we build. ... We believe that all matters for the sound quality can be measured
although we often have to develop new measurement methods that are indicative of the subjective sound quality. We direct
all R&D efforts on such measurable metrics. If this does not agree with the listening results we improve our objective metrics."
For all interested: https://www.audioxpress.com/news/purifi-audio-promises-to-reduce-distortion-in-speakers-and-amplifiers .
For all not versed in audio who-is-who: the people behind Purifi are leading developpers in their field.
- (as to the being there - at recording - experience) Dr. Edgar Choueiri, professor of applied physics at Princeton University,
has developped a 3D audio processor, enabling the listener to enjoy his records in 3D via a normal stereo set: BACCH SP.
All we can do is hope and pray that MS will leave this alone, to prevent it from suffering the same fate as HDCD ...
Ray
*for all not versed in audio: the D does not stand for digital; class D means switching amps.
**once again: HD Vinyl nowhere to be seen (heard), no news, no nothing - a hoax ... ?