element14 Community
element14 Community
    Register Log In
  • Site
  • Search
  • Log In Register
  • Community Hub
    Community Hub
    • What's New on element14
    • Feedback and Support
    • Benefits of Membership
    • Personal Blogs
    • Members Area
    • Achievement Levels
  • Learn
    Learn
    • Ask an Expert
    • eBooks
    • element14 presents
    • Learning Center
    • Tech Spotlight
    • STEM Academy
    • Webinars, Training and Events
    • Learning Groups
  • Technologies
    Technologies
    • 3D Printing
    • FPGA
    • Industrial Automation
    • Internet of Things
    • Power & Energy
    • Sensors
    • Technology Groups
  • Challenges & Projects
    Challenges & Projects
    • Design Challenges
    • element14 presents Projects
    • Project14
    • Arduino Projects
    • Raspberry Pi Projects
    • Project Groups
  • Products and Partners
    Products and Partners
    • Arduino
    • Avnet & Tria Boards Community
    • Dev Tools
    • Manufacturers
    • Multicomp Pro
    • Product Groups
    • Raspberry Pi
    • RoadTests & Reviews
  • About Us
    About the element14 Community
  • Store
    Store
    • Visit Your Store
    • Choose another store...
      • Europe
      •  Austria (German)
      •  Belgium (Dutch, French)
      •  Bulgaria (Bulgarian)
      •  Czech Republic (Czech)
      •  Denmark (Danish)
      •  Estonia (Estonian)
      •  Finland (Finnish)
      •  France (French)
      •  Germany (German)
      •  Hungary (Hungarian)
      •  Ireland
      •  Israel
      •  Italy (Italian)
      •  Latvia (Latvian)
      •  
      •  Lithuania (Lithuanian)
      •  Netherlands (Dutch)
      •  Norway (Norwegian)
      •  Poland (Polish)
      •  Portugal (Portuguese)
      •  Romania (Romanian)
      •  Russia (Russian)
      •  Slovakia (Slovak)
      •  Slovenia (Slovenian)
      •  Spain (Spanish)
      •  Sweden (Swedish)
      •  Switzerland(German, French)
      •  Turkey (Turkish)
      •  United Kingdom
      • Asia Pacific
      •  Australia
      •  China
      •  Hong Kong
      •  India
      •  Japan
      •  Korea (Korean)
      •  Malaysia
      •  New Zealand
      •  Philippines
      •  Singapore
      •  Taiwan
      •  Thailand (Thai)
      •  Vietnam
      • Americas
      •  Brazil (Portuguese)
      •  Canada
      •  Mexico (Spanish)
      •  United States
      Can't find the country/region you're looking for? Visit our export site or find a local distributor.
  • Translate
  • Profile
  • Settings
Community Hub
Community Hub
Member's Forum What's a good snack?
  • Blog
  • Forum
  • Documents
  • Quiz
  • Events
  • Leaderboard
  • Polls
  • Files
  • Members
  • Mentions
  • Sub-Groups
  • Tags
  • More
  • Cancel
  • New
Join Community Hub to participate - click to join for free!
Actions
  • Share
  • More
  • Cancel
Forum Thread Details
  • Replies 61 replies
  • Subscribers 635 subscribers
  • Views 7790 views
  • Users 0 members are here
  • snacks
Related

What's a good snack?

cstanton
cstanton over 5 years ago

The supermarkets here in the UK are filled with clementines, and for some reason I can't get enough of them, seriously, I have a pile of 5-6 bags of them and... they're gone in a couple of days, something about that sweet tangyness flavour that just hits the spot right now.

 

For some there're different categories of snacks:

 

- Sweet

- Sour

- Savoury

- Umami

- Sugary

- Gooey

- Salty

- Cold

- Hot

 

For a sweet snack, I gravitate towards Terrys Dark Chocolate Orange... (there may be a theme here), sour is usually Haribo Tangfastics! Savoury, something like Doritos, and sugary I haven't really touched on sugary for a long while, but in my advent calendar I'm getting Haribo so that counts, right?

 

Gooey can't beat a good soft cookie though.

 

What do you like?

  • Sign in to reply
  • Cancel
  • cstanton
    cstanton over 5 years ago in reply to michaelkellett

    Not too dissimilar from hveteboller which I could very easily over-indulge on, from Norway (and similar countries in that area), very tasty :F

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +3 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • cstanton
    cstanton over 5 years ago in reply to shabaz

    I totally want a food dehydrator... at the very least for my 3d printing filament, but at the most because I'd try drying everything (especially the herbs in the garden). A few people I know at Leeds Hackspace owns one for both reasons (food and filament) but they can't really decide on a good one, they're all somewhat suitable.

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +5 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • cstanton
    cstanton over 5 years ago in reply to dougw

    Ooh, I could get behind that. I'm surprised I haven't tried it yet.

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +2 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • michaelkellett
    michaelkellett over 5 years ago

    I made some buns last night, more of a meal than a snack.

     

    Granary flour, yeast, salt, milk, eggs, butter, sugar dried fruit, mixed spice, cinnamon,and nutmeg.

     

    image

     

    Best eaten toasted and buttered.

     

    MK

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +7 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • Andrew J
    Andrew J over 5 years ago

    I do like sliced banana in evaporated milk sprinkled with sugar.  Always have, always will.  I really like the banana chips as well.  Can’t resist Haribo as my wife will attest and always partial to ready salted crisps.  Fresh, ripe figs are lovely but you do need to be careful how many of those you eat!  I think you might suffer a little if you ate them at the same rate as those clementines!

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +6 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • Andrew J
    Andrew J over 5 years ago in reply to shabaz

    In fairness Shabaz, from my memory of living/working in India, many Indian sweets are what could best be described as “an acquired taste” for those of us used to a western diet. image

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +3 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • shabaz
    shabaz over 5 years ago in reply to ajcc

    Digestives are really special : ) And the chocolate coated ones.

    I'm wondering, does anyone own a food dehydrator? They are not common in the UK I think, but was wondering if it's worth getting one, perhaps in the summer. They don't seem to be expensive. I have just not known anyone who owns one here.

    It could be nice to make own dried snacks, or just to store off any fruit that might not get eaten otherwise, e.g. from home-grown produce etc., or maybe even some cooked dishes.. no idea if they taste nice after rehydrating!

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +4 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • shabaz
    shabaz over 5 years ago in reply to dougw

    Hi Doug,

     

    If Malacca is what I think it is, then I believe I've possibly tried it, but not in fresh form. There's a (pretty awful tasting) Indian sweet/candy that uses it.. has almost a fermented taste from vague memory.. definitely an acquired taste in that candy format!

    Also, is this the dried form, or is this something else? If it is, then it's _really_nice_ in a curry style dish.. the dried ingredient does not look nice, but the taste is exceptional, I can't describe it. I can find the recipe if required. It's never available in Indian restaurants, I don't know why. Guessing it may be a very specific localized dish or something.

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +2 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • ajcc
    ajcc over 5 years ago

    Apple slices and assorted nuts is my favorite snack, but I've honestly eaten a lot more ice cream, chips/crisps and popcorn during 2020.

    image

    I have since taking that picture cleaned the keyboard of my ThinkPad, they sure do collect a lot of dust if you leave them open.

     

    Oh, I forgot to mention Digestive biscuits/crackers (although they crumble into sand, so not really crackers). Those are so popular in Sweden that most people pronounce it as a Swedish word, unless their parents are academics. Three Digestives and a cup of coffee is my "I don't want breakfast"-breakfast and 2020 mood in general.

    image

    Found this public domain picture on Wikimedia, thank you Wikipedians.

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +5 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • ajcc
    ajcc over 5 years ago in reply to the-dubster

    I can vouch for tamari roasted almonds being really good.

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +2 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
<>
element14 Community

element14 is the first online community specifically for engineers. Connect with your peers and get expert answers to your questions.

  • Members
  • Learn
  • Technologies
  • Challenges & Projects
  • Products
  • Store
  • About Us
  • Feedback & Support
  • FAQs
  • Terms of Use
  • Privacy Policy
  • Legal and Copyright Notices
  • Sitemap
  • Cookies

An Avnet Company © 2026 Premier Farnell Limited. All Rights Reserved.

Premier Farnell Ltd, registered in England and Wales (no 00876412), registered office: Farnell House, Forge Lane, Leeds LS12 2NE.

Follow element14

  • X
  • Facebook
  • linkedin
  • YouTube