element14 Community
element14 Community
    Register Log In
  • Site
  • Search
  • Log In Register
  • Community Hub
    Community Hub
    • What's New on element14
    • Feedback and Support
    • Benefits of Membership
    • Personal Blogs
    • Members Area
    • Achievement Levels
  • Learn
    Learn
    • Ask an Expert
    • eBooks
    • element14 presents
    • Learning Center
    • Tech Spotlight
    • STEM Academy
    • Webinars, Training and Events
    • Learning Groups
  • Technologies
    Technologies
    • 3D Printing
    • FPGA
    • Industrial Automation
    • Internet of Things
    • Power & Energy
    • Sensors
    • Technology Groups
  • Challenges & Projects
    Challenges & Projects
    • Design Challenges
    • element14 presents Projects
    • Project14
    • Arduino Projects
    • Raspberry Pi Projects
    • Project Groups
  • Products and Partners
    Products and Partners
    • Arduino
    • Avnet & Tria Boards Community
    • Dev Tools
    • Manufacturers
    • Multicomp Pro
    • Product Groups
    • Raspberry Pi
    • RoadTests & Reviews
  • About Us
    About the element14 Community
  • Store
    Store
    • Visit Your Store
    • Choose another store...
      • Europe
      •  Austria (German)
      •  Belgium (Dutch, French)
      •  Bulgaria (Bulgarian)
      •  Czech Republic (Czech)
      •  Denmark (Danish)
      •  Estonia (Estonian)
      •  Finland (Finnish)
      •  France (French)
      •  Germany (German)
      •  Hungary (Hungarian)
      •  Ireland
      •  Israel
      •  Italy (Italian)
      •  Latvia (Latvian)
      •  
      •  Lithuania (Lithuanian)
      •  Netherlands (Dutch)
      •  Norway (Norwegian)
      •  Poland (Polish)
      •  Portugal (Portuguese)
      •  Romania (Romanian)
      •  Russia (Russian)
      •  Slovakia (Slovak)
      •  Slovenia (Slovenian)
      •  Spain (Spanish)
      •  Sweden (Swedish)
      •  Switzerland(German, French)
      •  Turkey (Turkish)
      •  United Kingdom
      • Asia Pacific
      •  Australia
      •  China
      •  Hong Kong
      •  India
      •  Japan
      •  Korea (Korean)
      •  Malaysia
      •  New Zealand
      •  Philippines
      •  Singapore
      •  Taiwan
      •  Thailand (Thai)
      •  Vietnam
      • Americas
      •  Brazil (Portuguese)
      •  Canada
      •  Mexico (Spanish)
      •  United States
      Can't find the country/region you're looking for? Visit our export site or find a local distributor.
  • Translate
  • Profile
  • Settings
Community Hub
Community Hub
Member's Forum What's a good snack?
  • Blog
  • Forum
  • Documents
  • Quiz
  • Events
  • Leaderboard
  • Polls
  • Files
  • Members
  • Mentions
  • Sub-Groups
  • Tags
  • More
  • Cancel
  • New
Join Community Hub to participate - click to join for free!
Actions
  • Share
  • More
  • Cancel
Forum Thread Details
  • Replies 61 replies
  • Subscribers 635 subscribers
  • Views 7786 views
  • Users 0 members are here
  • snacks
Related

What's a good snack?

cstanton
cstanton over 5 years ago

The supermarkets here in the UK are filled with clementines, and for some reason I can't get enough of them, seriously, I have a pile of 5-6 bags of them and... they're gone in a couple of days, something about that sweet tangyness flavour that just hits the spot right now.

 

For some there're different categories of snacks:

 

- Sweet

- Sour

- Savoury

- Umami

- Sugary

- Gooey

- Salty

- Cold

- Hot

 

For a sweet snack, I gravitate towards Terrys Dark Chocolate Orange... (there may be a theme here), sour is usually Haribo Tangfastics! Savoury, something like Doritos, and sugary I haven't really touched on sugary for a long while, but in my advent calendar I'm getting Haribo so that counts, right?

 

Gooey can't beat a good soft cookie though.

 

What do you like?

  • Sign in to reply
  • Cancel
  • danzima
    danzima over 5 years ago

    I have also had this experience with clementines! When I worked at a grocery store in the produce department we definitely bought a box for our team on a few occasions when they first came into season, just leaving them in the stock area for anyone who wanted some.

     

    I recently was able to find these Crimson Crisp apples at Whole Foods near me, and they're absolutely amazing. I probably went a couple of weeks where they might have been the only fruit I was eating, I was so addicted.

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +3 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • genebren
    genebren over 5 years ago in reply to 14rhb

    You might even get a handshake from Paul for these.

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +2 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • genebren
    genebren over 5 years ago in reply to shabaz

    I no longer have a dehydrator, but I did for many years.  My favorites were dehydrated apples (sprinkled with cinnamon) and banana chips.  We also used it to dehydrate tomatoes (not quite sun-dried, but still tasty).  There are a lot of differing concepts and options as how to best dehydrate foods.  Most available units use low heat and low airflow.  Some experts feel that you should use less heat and more airflow in order to remove the moisture but retain the flavor.  On of my favorite cook show host, Alton Brown, had done a couple of shows (Good Eats) where he built (or described) the perfect dehydrator.

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +2 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • Fred27
    Fred27 over 5 years ago in reply to dougw

    I'm not sure that malacca would go down well in Greece - they have a different meaning for the word malaka. I'll let you google it for yourself if you want.

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +3 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • cstanton
    cstanton over 5 years ago in reply to ajcc

    After tasting buns like these, I can't look at what Greggs presents the same way again, they just don't have the same flavour... I guess I'm off to find lidl's bakery section!

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +3 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • 14rhb
    14rhb over 5 years ago in reply to michaelkellett

    Paul and Prue would be impressed, as I am also image

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +2 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • 14rhb
    14rhb over 5 years ago in reply to shabaz

    Hi Shabaz,

     

    I've put one on my Xmas gif idea list...although sadly I haven't seen any parcels arrive that fit the shape, so maybe I'm out of luck (or maybe Santa will bring it on Christmas Eve). I pointed to one in Lakeland plastics Ltd that was about £55 (UK).

     

    Main ideas were to dry apple, mango etc to make healthy snacks (that can be taken out for the day). I'm sure if I get one I'll find other ideas. I hadn't thought of cstanton comment of drying 3D filaments in there. I'd like to try drying herbs from the garden also, although most are dying back for winter now.

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +3 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • michaelkellett
    michaelkellett over 5 years ago in reply to ajcc

    Excellent - new bun ideas !

     

    MK

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +3 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • ajcc
    ajcc over 5 years ago in reply to cstanton

    The cardamon-spiced wheat buns used to make Semlor? (Fastelavnsboller)

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +4 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • cstanton
    cstanton over 5 years ago in reply to Andrew J

    > an acquired taste

     

    One must acquire them to taste them?

     

    I'm fine with this.. image image

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +2 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
<>
element14 Community

element14 is the first online community specifically for engineers. Connect with your peers and get expert answers to your questions.

  • Members
  • Learn
  • Technologies
  • Challenges & Projects
  • Products
  • Store
  • About Us
  • Feedback & Support
  • FAQs
  • Terms of Use
  • Privacy Policy
  • Legal and Copyright Notices
  • Sitemap
  • Cookies

An Avnet Company © 2026 Premier Farnell Limited. All Rights Reserved.

Premier Farnell Ltd, registered in England and Wales (no 00876412), registered office: Farnell House, Forge Lane, Leeds LS12 2NE.

Follow element14

  • X
  • Facebook
  • linkedin
  • YouTube