element14 Community
element14 Community
    Register Log In
  • Site
  • Search
  • Log In Register
  • Community Hub
    Community Hub
    • What's New on element14
    • Feedback and Support
    • Benefits of Membership
    • Personal Blogs
    • Members Area
    • Achievement Levels
  • Learn
    Learn
    • Ask an Expert
    • eBooks
    • element14 presents
    • Learning Center
    • Tech Spotlight
    • STEM Academy
    • Webinars, Training and Events
    • Learning Groups
  • Technologies
    Technologies
    • 3D Printing
    • FPGA
    • Industrial Automation
    • Internet of Things
    • Power & Energy
    • Sensors
    • Technology Groups
  • Challenges & Projects
    Challenges & Projects
    • Design Challenges
    • element14 presents Projects
    • Project14
    • Arduino Projects
    • Raspberry Pi Projects
    • Project Groups
  • Products and Partners
    Products and Partners
    • Arduino
    • Avnet & Tria Boards Community
    • Dev Tools
    • Manufacturers
    • Multicomp Pro
    • Product Groups
    • Raspberry Pi
    • RoadTests & Reviews
  • About Us
    About the element14 Community
  • Store
    Store
    • Visit Your Store
    • Choose another store...
      • Europe
      •  Austria (German)
      •  Belgium (Dutch, French)
      •  Bulgaria (Bulgarian)
      •  Czech Republic (Czech)
      •  Denmark (Danish)
      •  Estonia (Estonian)
      •  Finland (Finnish)
      •  France (French)
      •  Germany (German)
      •  Hungary (Hungarian)
      •  Ireland
      •  Israel
      •  Italy (Italian)
      •  Latvia (Latvian)
      •  
      •  Lithuania (Lithuanian)
      •  Netherlands (Dutch)
      •  Norway (Norwegian)
      •  Poland (Polish)
      •  Portugal (Portuguese)
      •  Romania (Romanian)
      •  Russia (Russian)
      •  Slovakia (Slovak)
      •  Slovenia (Slovenian)
      •  Spain (Spanish)
      •  Sweden (Swedish)
      •  Switzerland(German, French)
      •  Turkey (Turkish)
      •  United Kingdom
      • Asia Pacific
      •  Australia
      •  China
      •  Hong Kong
      •  India
      •  Japan
      •  Korea (Korean)
      •  Malaysia
      •  New Zealand
      •  Philippines
      •  Singapore
      •  Taiwan
      •  Thailand (Thai)
      •  Vietnam
      • Americas
      •  Brazil (Portuguese)
      •  Canada
      •  Mexico (Spanish)
      •  United States
      Can't find the country/region you're looking for? Visit our export site or find a local distributor.
  • Translate
  • Profile
  • Settings
Community Hub
Community Hub
Member's Forum What is your favorite electronics or software book?
  • Blog
  • Forum
  • Documents
  • Quiz
  • Events
  • Leaderboard
  • Polls
  • Files
  • Members
  • Mentions
  • Sub-Groups
  • Tags
  • More
  • Cancel
  • New
Join Community Hub to participate - click to join for free!
Actions
  • Share
  • More
  • Cancel
Forum Thread Details
  • Replies 21 replies
  • Subscribers 632 subscribers
  • Views 2686 views
  • Users 0 members are here
  • favorite book
  • favorite magazine
Related

What is your favorite electronics or software book?

dougw
dougw over 5 years ago

In the age of the internet books seem to be much less travelled.

Do books still play a major role in your technical endeavors?

Or do you just keep some around for sentimental reasons?

What book has been the most useful to you in your career?

Does this coincide with your favorite tech book?

Feel free to mention your favorite technical magazine as well.

I read a lot of tech magazines every week but really liked "Electronics" magazine in it heyday.

I wonder if I still have some squirreled away somewhere.

I expect I still have some Amiga magazines.

 

I forgot to mark this as a question - is there a way to change it to a question?

  • Sign in to reply
  • Cancel
  • balearicdynamics
    balearicdynamics over 5 years ago in reply to redcharly

    Thank you Carlo,

     

    Don't miss the next workshop Codename: Nanodrone II celebrating Arduino Day 2021!

     

    Cheers

    Enrico

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +3 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • javagoza
    javagoza over 5 years ago in reply to genebren

    A son to be proud of!

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +2 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • fmilburn
    fmilburn over 5 years ago in reply to genebren

    Really cool, much respect :-)

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +2 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • genebren
    genebren over 5 years ago in reply to genebren

    Frank,

     

    Here is a picture of the two channel detector board (I don't seem to have any of the 5 channel beasts left).  This was actually on of my first boards to design/layout/build (as I working at a startup and we had to wear many hats).  We were needing a lot more performance than the Ocean Optics Spectrometers could provide, so we built our own. I was a very fun project that required me to learn a lot (DSP, CPLD, USB, etc.).

     

    image

    Gene

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +4 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • genebren
    genebren over 5 years ago in reply to fmilburn

    Frank,

     

    I do not actively market these devices any longer.  Due to their age (more than 15 years old), most of the parts are obsolete and unavailable.  The last couple of units that I sent out were refurbished from prototypes or other returns, etc.

     

    The units were very high speed for spectrometers, 20M samples per second (total) or 4M samples per second per unit (5 units per board).  The spectrometers themselves were manufactured by another supplier and were based on some nice Hamamatsu CCD (2048 elements).  The target market for these boards were for super low volume chromatography systems.

     

    Gene

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +2 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • fmilburn
    fmilburn over 5 years ago in reply to genebren

    Gene,

     

    I am curious about your products :-)  Do you have a web page or online store?

     

    Frank

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +1 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • redcharly
    redcharly over 5 years ago

    I think that, as far as computer science is concerned, the books that have most involved me are those of Andrew Stuart Tanenbaum.

    Books like: Computer Networks and Modern Operating Systems have been for me not only sources of technical knowledge but also fun to read.

    As for magazines, in Italy when I was a boy I bought Nuova Elettronica and I made many circuits: those were the times of the ua741, of the NE555, and of the printed circuits made with nail polish ...

         imageimage

     

    I also point out the book Vintage Upcycling with Raspberry Pi and Arduino by Enrico Miglino (balearicdynamics ).

    I got the chance to appreciate his work in a series of webinar (Vintage Upcycling with Raspberry Pi and Arduino: Part 1: Pi Rotary , etc.).

    In times of the Internet and Youtube tutorials, Enrico has made a very interesting and engaging work. Each project is explained in detail and in every aspect, from the mechanics to the electronics to the code used, truly a beautiful job! Very interesting book!

     

    image

     

     

    Greetings

    Carlo

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +3 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • genebren
    genebren over 5 years ago in reply to beacon_dave

    I started with the 'Serial Port Complete' book and moved up to the USB book when I built a multi-channel data acquisition system to read/control up to 10 Spectrophotometers. After that I developed a line of USB based instruments (some of which I still get orders for).  Both of these books were well written and highly informative.

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +1 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • beacon_dave
    beacon_dave over 5 years ago in reply to genebren
    "...USB Complete by Jan Axelson..."

     

     

    I've got a copy of 'Serial Port Complete' by Jan Axelson. I guess I'm a bit behind... image

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +2 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • nathandumont
    nathandumont over 5 years ago

    Probably my most used book in the last 10 years is "The Definitive Guide To The ARM Cortex-M3" by Joseph Yiu.  I've got the second edition, one of my colleagues has a slightly newer version which covers the M4 extensions.  I do a lot of work with STM32s and FreeRTOS and knowing how the underlying hardware is meant to work has really helped in debug and writing good fault handlers.  It's such a well written book I was able to just read it through the first time which is quite unusual for this kind of technical book.  Now I just dip in where I need to.

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +4 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
>
element14 Community

element14 is the first online community specifically for engineers. Connect with your peers and get expert answers to your questions.

  • Members
  • Learn
  • Technologies
  • Challenges & Projects
  • Products
  • Store
  • About Us
  • Feedback & Support
  • FAQs
  • Terms of Use
  • Privacy Policy
  • Legal and Copyright Notices
  • Sitemap
  • Cookies

An Avnet Company © 2026 Premier Farnell Limited. All Rights Reserved.

Premier Farnell Ltd, registered in England and Wales (no 00876412), registered office: Farnell House, Forge Lane, Leeds LS12 2NE.

Follow element14

  • X
  • Facebook
  • linkedin
  • YouTube