element14 Community
element14 Community
    Register Log In
  • Site
  • Search
  • Log In Register
  • Community Hub
    Community Hub
    • What's New on element14
    • Feedback and Support
    • Benefits of Membership
    • Personal Blogs
    • Members Area
    • Achievement Levels
  • Learn
    Learn
    • Ask an Expert
    • eBooks
    • element14 presents
    • Learning Center
    • Tech Spotlight
    • STEM Academy
    • Webinars, Training and Events
    • Learning Groups
  • Technologies
    Technologies
    • 3D Printing
    • FPGA
    • Industrial Automation
    • Internet of Things
    • Power & Energy
    • Sensors
    • Technology Groups
  • Challenges & Projects
    Challenges & Projects
    • Design Challenges
    • element14 presents Projects
    • Project14
    • Arduino Projects
    • Raspberry Pi Projects
    • Project Groups
  • Products and Partners
    Products and Partners
    • Arduino
    • Avnet & Tria Boards Community
    • Dev Tools
    • Manufacturers
    • Multicomp Pro
    • Product Groups
    • Raspberry Pi
    • RoadTests & Reviews
  • About Us
    About the element14 Community
  • Store
    Store
    • Visit Your Store
    • Choose another store...
      • Europe
      •  Austria (German)
      •  Belgium (Dutch, French)
      •  Bulgaria (Bulgarian)
      •  Czech Republic (Czech)
      •  Denmark (Danish)
      •  Estonia (Estonian)
      •  Finland (Finnish)
      •  France (French)
      •  Germany (German)
      •  Hungary (Hungarian)
      •  Ireland
      •  Israel
      •  Italy (Italian)
      •  Latvia (Latvian)
      •  
      •  Lithuania (Lithuanian)
      •  Netherlands (Dutch)
      •  Norway (Norwegian)
      •  Poland (Polish)
      •  Portugal (Portuguese)
      •  Romania (Romanian)
      •  Russia (Russian)
      •  Slovakia (Slovak)
      •  Slovenia (Slovenian)
      •  Spain (Spanish)
      •  Sweden (Swedish)
      •  Switzerland(German, French)
      •  Turkey (Turkish)
      •  United Kingdom
      • Asia Pacific
      •  Australia
      •  China
      •  Hong Kong
      •  India
      •  Japan
      •  Korea (Korean)
      •  Malaysia
      •  New Zealand
      •  Philippines
      •  Singapore
      •  Taiwan
      •  Thailand (Thai)
      •  Vietnam
      • Americas
      •  Brazil (Portuguese)
      •  Canada
      •  Mexico (Spanish)
      •  United States
      Can't find the country/region you're looking for? Visit our export site or find a local distributor.
  • Translate
  • Profile
  • Settings
Community Hub
Community Hub
Member's Forum Is newer better?
  • Blog
  • Forum
  • Documents
  • Quiz
  • Events
  • Leaderboard
  • Polls
  • Files
  • Members
  • Mentions
  • Sub-Groups
  • Tags
  • More
  • Cancel
  • New
Join Community Hub to participate - click to join for free!
Actions
  • Share
  • More
  • Cancel
Forum Thread Details
  • Replies 5 replies
  • Subscribers 633 subscribers
  • Views 631 views
  • Users 0 members are here
Related

Is newer better?

clem57
clem57 over 10 years ago

I have been working with computers before the PC existed starting with the IBM mainframe 360 (CMOS bipolar logic - 1 Megabyte static core). I guess you can say I lived with the dinosaurs (mainframe moniker). The PC has gone from discrete logic using TTL to highly integrated IC's from Intel. But stop for a moment and ask are we really better off? Is our life simpler and more enriched? I came across this Youtube that made me think.

 

You don't have permission to edit metadata of this video.
Edit media
x
image
Upload Preview
image

 

Now it's time for your comments and discussions!

Clem

  • Sign in to reply
  • Cancel
Parents
  • DAB
    DAB over 10 years ago

    Hi Clem,

     

    I have been involved with computers for a bit longer than you, but you bring up interesting points.

     

    For most applications, the computer advance has produced a lot of amazing gadgets that help many people everyday.

     

    One place I find still lagging is having a simple and intuitive way to program the computer to do what I want.

    After all, typing in C code was what I did over forty years ago.  Clearly we can do better.

     

    The same goes for testing software and systems.  Are we still constrained to doing all of the little steps our self?

    The same interface that could create the software should easily be able to put only good software into the plan.

     

    After all, how many times do we need to define a pin to a LED and then write the code for using it?

     

    I would say that the hardware has matured much better than the software.  Mostly from the insane language wars.  It just does not matter which is best.  All that matters is that a novice user has the tools to define an idea and have code written so that the device can implement the function.

     

    Just a thought.

     

    DAB

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up 0 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
Reply
  • DAB
    DAB over 10 years ago

    Hi Clem,

     

    I have been involved with computers for a bit longer than you, but you bring up interesting points.

     

    For most applications, the computer advance has produced a lot of amazing gadgets that help many people everyday.

     

    One place I find still lagging is having a simple and intuitive way to program the computer to do what I want.

    After all, typing in C code was what I did over forty years ago.  Clearly we can do better.

     

    The same goes for testing software and systems.  Are we still constrained to doing all of the little steps our self?

    The same interface that could create the software should easily be able to put only good software into the plan.

     

    After all, how many times do we need to define a pin to a LED and then write the code for using it?

     

    I would say that the hardware has matured much better than the software.  Mostly from the insane language wars.  It just does not matter which is best.  All that matters is that a novice user has the tools to define an idea and have code written so that the device can implement the function.

     

    Just a thought.

     

    DAB

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up 0 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
Children
  • johnbeetem
    johnbeetem over 10 years ago in reply to DAB

    DAB wrote:

     

    One place I find still lagging is having a simple and intuitive way to program the computer to do what I want.

    After all, typing in C code was what I did over forty years ago.  Clearly we can do better.

     

    ...

     

    I would say that the hardware has matured much better than the software.  Mostly from the insane language wars.  It just does not matter which is best.  All that matters is that a novice user has the tools to define an idea and have code written so that the device can implement the function.

    At some point you have to tell the hardware what to do, and that involves some kind of language.  There are graphical languages such as the one used by CodeBug, but from what little I've seen of CodeBug it seems like you can do some simple things very nicely, but when you want to do more sophisticated things you discover the limitations of the graphical language very quickly.

     

    IMO there is no such thing as a "best language".  What's best for one application may be terrible for another.  What's best for one person may be terrible for someone else.  Chacun a son goût.  I find some features of C like its expression syntax to be excellent.  I find other features like its control structures to be ugly, especially things like needing a break statement after each case.  My solution was to create my own languages.  I now use my GalaxC language for almost all my work.  It fits the way I think and express myself.  But this is a personal decision.

     

    Getting back to Clem's "Is Newer Better" question, I would like to note how horribly complex device-level programming has become over the decades I've been doing this.  The first machine for which I did device-level programming was the PDP-11.  The PDP-11 Peripherals Handbook described the device registers for all DEC peripherals that could interface to a PDP-11.  It had a chapter called "Programming" which described how to write typical assembly-language programs to talk to peripherals, using both busy loops and interrupts.  The chapter was 8 pages long.

     

    If you want to device-level programming for Linux or Windows you have to read and understand huge manuals.  You can avoid this by doing "bare metal" programming on microprocessors and microcontrollers, and some of them are pretty easy to grok.  Others require you to find your way through a 2000-page technical reference manual, which may or may not be well-written.

     

    Most of this complexity is because it's easier to slap together complex systems instead of designing something clean and simple.  As CAR Hoare said: "There are two ways of constructing a software design: One way is to make it so simple that there are obviously no deficiencies, and the other way is to make it so complicated that there are no obvious deficiencies. The first method is far more difficult."

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up 0 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
element14 Community

element14 is the first online community specifically for engineers. Connect with your peers and get expert answers to your questions.

  • Members
  • Learn
  • Technologies
  • Challenges & Projects
  • Products
  • Store
  • About Us
  • Feedback & Support
  • FAQs
  • Terms of Use
  • Privacy Policy
  • Legal and Copyright Notices
  • Sitemap
  • Cookies

An Avnet Company © 2026 Premier Farnell Limited. All Rights Reserved.

Premier Farnell Ltd, registered in England and Wales (no 00876412), registered office: Farnell House, Forge Lane, Leeds LS12 2NE.

Follow element14

  • X
  • Facebook
  • linkedin
  • YouTube