element14 Community
element14 Community
    Register Log In
  • Site
  • Search
  • Log In Register
  • Community Hub
    Community Hub
    • What's New on element14
    • Feedback and Support
    • Benefits of Membership
    • Personal Blogs
    • Members Area
    • Achievement Levels
  • Learn
    Learn
    • Ask an Expert
    • eBooks
    • element14 presents
    • Learning Center
    • Tech Spotlight
    • STEM Academy
    • Webinars, Training and Events
    • Learning Groups
  • Technologies
    Technologies
    • 3D Printing
    • FPGA
    • Industrial Automation
    • Internet of Things
    • Power & Energy
    • Sensors
    • Technology Groups
  • Challenges & Projects
    Challenges & Projects
    • Design Challenges
    • element14 presents Projects
    • Project14
    • Arduino Projects
    • Raspberry Pi Projects
    • Project Groups
  • Products and Partners
    Products and Partners
    • Arduino
    • Avnet & Tria Boards Community
    • Dev Tools
    • Manufacturers
    • Multicomp Pro
    • Product Groups
    • Raspberry Pi
    • RoadTests & Reviews
  • About Us
    About the element14 Community
  • Store
    Store
    • Visit Your Store
    • Choose another store...
      • Europe
      •  Austria (German)
      •  Belgium (Dutch, French)
      •  Bulgaria (Bulgarian)
      •  Czech Republic (Czech)
      •  Denmark (Danish)
      •  Estonia (Estonian)
      •  Finland (Finnish)
      •  France (French)
      •  Germany (German)
      •  Hungary (Hungarian)
      •  Ireland
      •  Israel
      •  Italy (Italian)
      •  Latvia (Latvian)
      •  
      •  Lithuania (Lithuanian)
      •  Netherlands (Dutch)
      •  Norway (Norwegian)
      •  Poland (Polish)
      •  Portugal (Portuguese)
      •  Romania (Romanian)
      •  Russia (Russian)
      •  Slovakia (Slovak)
      •  Slovenia (Slovenian)
      •  Spain (Spanish)
      •  Sweden (Swedish)
      •  Switzerland(German, French)
      •  Turkey (Turkish)
      •  United Kingdom
      • Asia Pacific
      •  Australia
      •  China
      •  Hong Kong
      •  India
      •  Japan
      •  Korea (Korean)
      •  Malaysia
      •  New Zealand
      •  Philippines
      •  Singapore
      •  Taiwan
      •  Thailand (Thai)
      •  Vietnam
      • Americas
      •  Brazil (Portuguese)
      •  Canada
      •  Mexico (Spanish)
      •  United States
      Can't find the country/region you're looking for? Visit our export site or find a local distributor.
  • Translate
  • Profile
  • Settings
Community Hub
Community Hub
Member's Forum In the Tesla Club
  • Blog
  • Forum
  • Documents
  • Quiz
  • Events
  • Leaderboard
  • Polls
  • Files
  • Members
  • Mentions
  • Sub-Groups
  • Tags
  • More
  • Cancel
  • New
Join Community Hub to participate - click to join for free!
Actions
  • Share
  • More
  • Cancel
Forum Thread Details
  • Replies 45 replies
  • Subscribers 636 subscribers
  • Views 4460 views
  • Users 0 members are here
  • members
  • nikola_tesla
  • tesla
  • points
  • badges
  • levels
Related

In the Tesla Club

spannerspencer
spannerspencer over 10 years ago

tumblr_nahigwzu991ry46hlo1_500.gifHi guys!

 

I just wrote a reply to a discussion, and noticed that I'm now in the Level 8: Telsa club! If I'm honest I haven't been keeping a close eye on my points and levels and badges and such (always too busy posting the docs about getting points and levels and badges and such! image), but I wrote that quick post and there was Nikola staring back at me!

 

It also made me wonder about the general reaction to climbing levels -- do you just let them come as your points rack up naturally, or do you actively make an effort to reach the next level?

 

If you don't really watch the levels, what would make them of more interest to you?

  • Sign in to reply
  • Cancel
  • mconners
    mconners over 10 years ago in reply to clem57

    Yeah, that's true.image That should probably be a 1 pointer as well.

     

    Mike

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up 0 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • clem57
    clem57 over 10 years ago in reply to mconners

    But Mike I got 5 points for liking your post? image

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +2 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • mconners
    mconners over 10 years ago

    Points, levels, and badges don't mean a lot to me. They meant even less after the whole scheme was restructured. I will say the fact that clicking a button marking something as helpful, even when it wasn't your question, is as valuable as a blog post, which can take days or weeks of preparation is disconcerting. That single button click, by the person that clicked it, should be worth no more than 1 point. I can see awarding the person whose answer was marked as helpful the full 15 points. But to paraphrase "when everything is helpful, nothing is"

     

    Mike

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +2 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • michaelkellett
    michaelkellett over 10 years ago

    I really don't like the points/levels/badges thing at all.

     

    It encourages some people to make posts asking for others to mark things as helpful or answered which I find as cringe making as a stand up comic begging for applause.

     

    And as for marking replies as "correct" - words fail me - so I'll quote:

     

    The impreciseness of the paraphrase of this as 'I know that I know nothing' stems from the fact that Plato's Socrates is not saying that he does not know anything but means instead that he cannot know anything with the absolute certainty of seeing. Socrates feels confident only in his possibly being mistaken about what he has known through seeing given the power of the imagination.[

    (From Wiki - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_know_that_I_know_nothing )

     

    MK

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up 0 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • spannerspencer
    spannerspencer over 10 years ago in reply to jkutzsch

    You've absolutely nailed the reasons behind the badges there, John, and I'm glad they're having the impact as intended.

     

    The conversation regarding level-based RoadTests is much as Mark suggests -- the thought isn't so much that we'd be reserving things for the elite, so much as encouraging existing members to become more involved. Again, as Mark points out, that'd definitely include yourself.

     

    My feeling is that people often join the Community to take part in RoadTests and Design Challenges, and that's something we want to encourage a LOT more of. It's kinda their purpose. At the same time, a brand new member might not yet feel that same connection and dedication to the Community, making it much easier to drop out. If someone makes the effort to attain, say, level 3 (easy, but takes a bit of exploration around the Community) to take part in a RoadTest or Design Challenge, I think it could put them in a much more affirmative frame of mind when it comes to applying or completing a project.

     

    Certainly most would still be open to anyone -- this is just an idea that's being kicked around as a way to encourage deeper participation on the Community alongside new registrations.

     

    kellyhensen had a thought about maybe splitting applications within a single RoadTest -- for example, five applications open to any level, and five reserved for Level 3 (or whatever) or higher, which I think adds an interesting angle to this idea.

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +2 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • mcb1
    mcb1 over 10 years ago in reply to jkutzsch

    If I'm not mistaken the suggestion was only for 'high value' Road Tests and certainly doesn't apply to all.

     

    You are right, but if you have a look at some of the Design Challenges the dropout rate amongst newer members (or just joined for that challenge/test) was high.

    For road Tests the results aren't a lot better, and in some cases unless the person has access to some complimentary equipment, it is difficult to do a decent test.

     

     

    In your case you are relatively new in the time scale, but have obviously gained points due to contributions to the community.

    Your content and the badges earned show that you would easily slot into any 'limited entry' class.

     

    how can I realistically try to "compete" against members that have years on me within this site?

    Not sure that years on the site has a lot to do with it.

    We've had some reasonably experienced members also fail to deliver for varying reasons, so it's not just a new member issue, but the stats would show the truth.

     

    I had the opportunity to talk with Christian last year and he spoke about some of the challenges and the entries.

    There were some really good entries from novices but experience showed that they would not be able to achieve what they propose, so sometimes the asperation is greater than the capability.

     

    The ability to present the information also plays a large part in the decision ... a couple of lines "I did it" with a blurry picture is not going to inspire many.

    It is also much easier if you have a track record, so rather than he is level x, I think past content is a deciding factor.

     

    Mark

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +5 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • jkutzsch
    jkutzsch over 10 years ago in reply to gadget.iom

    Curious on why it would be advantageous to Element14 to limit any road tests or similar to an "Elite" level instead of the current process of allowing all to enter and then the Element14 staff appropriately deciding based on criteria.

     

    I assume that one of the elements considered would be current standing of a member when the road tests are being judged so a level 8 member applying will automatically have a higher rating for a road test compared to a level 2.  If an idea offered by a level 2 member is so incredible that Element 14 decides it warrants the opportunity above a level 8 member, why should that idea never be allowed it's chance to even be voiced?

     

    I love reading all of the great ideas submitted by all levels and member participation is key to keeping new blood coming in.  From what I have seen from the higher level members I would think the only reason they might not get a road test would be because they felt they were too busy, some seriously knowledgeable people here have put in the time and it is great.  I really like how repeatedly I have seen high level members offer to assist anyone when they are in the various stages of processing ideas.

     

    As a newer member I really enjoy the badges Element 14 comes up with.  The points happen as they happen, because quite honestly, how can I realistically try to "compete" against members that have years on me within this site?  ;-)  Seriously though, I really like the badges and when you have tied in neat things like the Chinese New Year I think it has greatly increased conversation and idea sharing!

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +1 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • mcb1
    mcb1 over 10 years ago in reply to spannerspencer

    A badge for an exceptional review (or similar wording) would be worthy.

    There have been some exceptional blogs/reviews that merit extra acknowledgement.

     

    This could also be manual.

     

     

    Thanks

    Mark

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +4 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • spannerspencer
    spannerspencer over 10 years ago in reply to clem57

    The blogger badge is assigned manually, just to inform members that something was written by a commissioned blogger. Much like we have the element14 employee badge.

     

    We're always looking for new badge ideas, as they're invariably popular, so do share any thoughts on that front, too.

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +4 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • clem57
    clem57 over 10 years ago in reply to Problemchild

    The badges like "expert" and less so "helpful" (since recent changes gives out more), indicate how others "feel" I may be doing. But I can honestly say some are more deserved than others. And without asking sometimes, they can be hard to earn. Maybe another badge can be given for the desired behaviors. I noticed a blogger badge given out to some folks. How did they get/earn them?

    Clem

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +1 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
<>
element14 Community

element14 is the first online community specifically for engineers. Connect with your peers and get expert answers to your questions.

  • Members
  • Learn
  • Technologies
  • Challenges & Projects
  • Products
  • Store
  • About Us
  • Feedback & Support
  • FAQs
  • Terms of Use
  • Privacy Policy
  • Legal and Copyright Notices
  • Sitemap
  • Cookies

An Avnet Company © 2026 Premier Farnell Limited. All Rights Reserved.

Premier Farnell Ltd, registered in England and Wales (no 00876412), registered office: Farnell House, Forge Lane, Leeds LS12 2NE.

Follow element14

  • X
  • Facebook
  • linkedin
  • YouTube