Any other female makers out there? (Other than charlotte_godley?)
Any other female makers out there? (Other than charlotte_godley?)
I see, the XX, YY, XY, YX thing now
, only kidding, it would be an interesting stat to know, perhaps E14 may have this as part of the profile of the members ? spannerspencer
I know on my and other EE youtube channels, we tend to run at about 5% Female, a little sad really given the times
I don't think gender is part of our profiles, now you mention it. It would be interesting to know more about, especially given that it's something of a controversial topic right now, but at the same time it seems like it could be considered a little crass to ask people (in that kind of official, documented way, that is).
That said, I don't think anyone need feel guilty for making an effort to encourage more women into engineering, and into communities like element14. It's a worthwhile cause, given that we need more engineers and people need more jobs. There were two women on the same engineering course as me, way back in the early 90s, and I've often wondered where they wound up working.
Maybe there's a way for us to spread awareness of the community in the female STEM circles? Very open to any suggestions, and for any thoughts on whether there's anything we can do to make the element14 community more relevant and/or appealing to such members.
I'll put some thought into this, so please jot down any ideas or thoughts below that I can add to our brainstorming efforts.
It's funny because I recently interviewed for social media for another tech site and I quickly decided it was not a good fit for me. So, this topic is rather fresh in my mind right now. I remember participating in a contest for Element 14, as well as a discussion on wearables. What I found is that mostly the same people responded. There is a small core group that is polite and encouraging, and then I feel like there is a wall. I suspect in my case my knowledge base was too simplistic for the crowd at Element 14. I'm not an engineer and more of just a STEAM fan and educator. I think Element 14 is already in the niche of engineer, so it isn't really my circle, even though I do occasionally look at people's projects or new controller reviews here. So, then I ask the question why aren't more female engineers chatting here? I think there is a normal tendency for women to be cautious nowadays due to some issues found on the net. For instance, the site I previously mentioned has a lot of one-upping going on in their comments. There was also no protection for those making comments and the site was not willing to police them. So, it wasn't exactly encouraging collaboration or discussion. The other thing is that once a woman is working in engineering, usually she has to tend to a million other things when she gets home. So, is there time to do personal projects or participate in conversation once the other day to day stuff, including social media is done? Not sure. I don't have kids, so it is easier for me to have time for these kinds of things
. I just find from hanging out on other female tech forums that most women are juggling career and kid stuff so much that they would rather just have some down time, especially with their significant other.
Thanks for encouraging the conversation, and I remember how much thought when into whether I would ever post a pic on any of my tech accounts. Needless to say I took the leap.
I think crafting (starting from arts/craft) and making (starting from electronics/engineering) are not that far removed - would love to see more crafting projects here.
Amazon (.com and .co.uk) has hidden them well - I tried a search on WWII Sea War and it couldn't find them - what should I look for ?
MK
Hi Chris,
I am curious whose books you looked at?
Mine are only available at Amazon and Lulu.com.
I wonder if someone else is using the same title?
Mine are day by day ship movements and minute by minute combat sequences.
Very interesting,
DAB
DAB I just bumped into you on Linkedin and sent a request. loved the Sea War books I flipped through them at B&N ~~Cris
Hi Leslie,
I know the feeling.
I am just about to release Volume 8 on my WWII Sea War Series and I am in the middle of putting a new book together on the Periodic Table using my new atomic model. It will clarify a lot of issues about atoms and their electron clouds.
Meanwhile I am waiting for a Cypress Semiconductor PSOC board from Element 14 to road test and make into a spectral lighting system for a microscope, so you will see more posting in the future.
Have fun,
DAB
Spanner, I keep wanting to call you SP2
Anyway, I was laughing because at the end you said "you guys". I'm from Philly so I totally have the same problem. Anyway, I was trying to think of ways to make the community more inviting and I finally just determined it is best to give you this link for allies developed by some of the best geek women I know. There's a lot of good info there concerning myths, conduct and language. This Wiki is my first go-to for corporations and conferences wanting to be more inclusive.
I do think your idea to create an area for educators is perfect and could potentially be a good place for me to share art projects/questions as I start creating more. In fact, I'm ready to give a talk soon on Raspberry Pi and Arduino used for art with some people that want to work on triggering projection. So, build your area and I'll come with my questions. 
Hi Leslie, great to hear your thoughts on this.
You're not wrong that element14 is definitely geared toward the engineering community (I like to think it's fairly gender neutral in its approach, but it's hard to say that with absolute certainly simply because I'm a guy!), but funnily enough I was looking through our metrics this week for an internal report I'm working up, and educators/students is our second biggest group. When people register and enter their profession, professor/teacher/student turns out to be a big demographic for us.
I'd like to start catering for that group more across the community, and doing so might address a couple of points you raised. Obviously the first point is that there are people here who are technically minded and enthusiastic, but not actually trained engineers. Educators in particular can find themselves having a strong technical element to their work life, despite not being in a tech industry (and enjoying the technical support such an industry brings with it). Secondly, if we're working more closely with educators, I wonder if that wouldn't indirectly cater for the family-focused members too? Educators and parents alike need projects and ideas that are aimed at kids and people who are new to the realm of electronics, making, hacking and so forth, which inherently need to be simpler, faster and on a tighter budget. Seems like that'd be of benefit to both.
Also, on a personal note, I'm totally with you on the STEAM front. I love the STEM movement (and I think we've some pretty great content on that front here at element14, with a lot more to come: The specified item was not found.), but I think the addition of art to the mix is essential and exciting!
It just seems like all these things complement each other incredibly well; a family focus, educator involvement, STEAM promotion and growing the female membership. It's an opportunity I really want to capitalise on, so any thoughts you guys have would be very, very welcome.
Hi Leslie, great to hear your thoughts on this.
You're not wrong that element14 is definitely geared toward the engineering community (I like to think it's fairly gender neutral in its approach, but it's hard to say that with absolute certainly simply because I'm a guy!), but funnily enough I was looking through our metrics this week for an internal report I'm working up, and educators/students is our second biggest group. When people register and enter their profession, professor/teacher/student turns out to be a big demographic for us.
I'd like to start catering for that group more across the community, and doing so might address a couple of points you raised. Obviously the first point is that there are people here who are technically minded and enthusiastic, but not actually trained engineers. Educators in particular can find themselves having a strong technical element to their work life, despite not being in a tech industry (and enjoying the technical support such an industry brings with it). Secondly, if we're working more closely with educators, I wonder if that wouldn't indirectly cater for the family-focused members too? Educators and parents alike need projects and ideas that are aimed at kids and people who are new to the realm of electronics, making, hacking and so forth, which inherently need to be simpler, faster and on a tighter budget. Seems like that'd be of benefit to both.
Also, on a personal note, I'm totally with you on the STEAM front. I love the STEM movement (and I think we've some pretty great content on that front here at element14, with a lot more to come: The specified item was not found.), but I think the addition of art to the mix is essential and exciting!
It just seems like all these things complement each other incredibly well; a family focus, educator involvement, STEAM promotion and growing the female membership. It's an opportunity I really want to capitalise on, so any thoughts you guys have would be very, very welcome.
Yes it does, but has also been great therapy since my injury.
I can bury myself in the mass of information and forget my day to day issues.
History and Science has been my two main loves since childhood, so I can now do something interesting in both.
DAB
I was probably thinking of the things I enjoyed doing/making when I was a Girl Guide - spinning / origami / building camps / pioneering (strapping lumps of wood together to make things) / leather work / carpentry / corn dolly making / embroidery etc. - I didn't have access to electronics then, but all could now be combined in some manner to make interesting things.
I would be very interested to see some of the "artistic" electronics projects here - putting the A in STEAM 
When you say "crafting", Lucy, do you mean projects in general that don't necessarily get into the realm of electronics? So it might involve more carpentry, metal work, textiles, card, paper -- that sort of thing? Or are you thinking more in terms of "artistic" electronics projects over the more technical/functional ways we tend to put e14-focused devices to use?
I quite agree about there being a substantial overlap here, and that it'd be good to experiment with some different approaches to projects.
Found them - thanks - this book stuff must keep you pretty busy !
MK
Yea, Amazon treats it as a category instead of taking you to my book list.
Either use my name Donald A. Bertke or go to Lulu.com which makes it easier to find all of my books.
DAB
I think crafting (starting from arts/craft) and making (starting from electronics/engineering) are not that far removed - would love to see more crafting projects here.
Amazon (.com and .co.uk) has hidden them well - I tried a search on WWII Sea War and it couldn't find them - what should I look for ?
MK
Hi Chris,
I am curious whose books you looked at?
Mine are only available at Amazon and Lulu.com.
I wonder if someone else is using the same title?
Mine are day by day ship movements and minute by minute combat sequences.
Very interesting,
DAB