element14 Community
element14 Community
    Register Log In
  • Site
  • Search
  • Log In Register
  • Community Hub
    Community Hub
    • What's New on element14
    • Feedback and Support
    • Benefits of Membership
    • Personal Blogs
    • Members Area
    • Achievement Levels
  • Learn
    Learn
    • Ask an Expert
    • eBooks
    • element14 presents
    • Learning Center
    • Tech Spotlight
    • STEM Academy
    • Webinars, Training and Events
    • Learning Groups
  • Technologies
    Technologies
    • 3D Printing
    • FPGA
    • Industrial Automation
    • Internet of Things
    • Power & Energy
    • Sensors
    • Technology Groups
  • Challenges & Projects
    Challenges & Projects
    • Design Challenges
    • element14 presents Projects
    • Project14
    • Arduino Projects
    • Raspberry Pi Projects
    • Project Groups
  • Products and Partners
    Products and Partners
    • Arduino
    • Avnet & Tria Boards Community
    • Dev Tools
    • Manufacturers
    • Multicomp Pro
    • Product Groups
    • Raspberry Pi
    • RoadTests & Reviews
  • About Us
    About the element14 Community
  • Store
    Store
    • Visit Your Store
    • Choose another store...
      • Europe
      •  Austria (German)
      •  Belgium (Dutch, French)
      •  Bulgaria (Bulgarian)
      •  Czech Republic (Czech)
      •  Denmark (Danish)
      •  Estonia (Estonian)
      •  Finland (Finnish)
      •  France (French)
      •  Germany (German)
      •  Hungary (Hungarian)
      •  Ireland
      •  Israel
      •  Italy (Italian)
      •  Latvia (Latvian)
      •  
      •  Lithuania (Lithuanian)
      •  Netherlands (Dutch)
      •  Norway (Norwegian)
      •  Poland (Polish)
      •  Portugal (Portuguese)
      •  Romania (Romanian)
      •  Russia (Russian)
      •  Slovakia (Slovak)
      •  Slovenia (Slovenian)
      •  Spain (Spanish)
      •  Sweden (Swedish)
      •  Switzerland(German, French)
      •  Turkey (Turkish)
      •  United Kingdom
      • Asia Pacific
      •  Australia
      •  China
      •  Hong Kong
      •  India
      •  Japan
      •  Korea (Korean)
      •  Malaysia
      •  New Zealand
      •  Philippines
      •  Singapore
      •  Taiwan
      •  Thailand (Thai)
      •  Vietnam
      • Americas
      •  Brazil (Portuguese)
      •  Canada
      •  Mexico (Spanish)
      •  United States
      Can't find the country/region you're looking for? Visit our export site or find a local distributor.
  • Translate
  • Profile
  • Settings
Community Hub
Community Hub
Member's Forum XX Makers
  • Blog
  • Forum
  • Documents
  • Quiz
  • Events
  • Leaderboard
  • Polls
  • Files
  • Members
  • Mentions
  • Sub-Groups
  • Tags
  • More
  • Cancel
  • New
Join Community Hub to participate - click to join for free!
Actions
  • Share
  • More
  • Cancel
Forum Thread Details
  • Replies 30 replies
  • Subscribers 634 subscribers
  • Views 2707 views
  • Users 0 members are here
  • maker
  • female
  • woman
  • women
  • makers
  • girl
Related

XX Makers

drlucyrogers
drlucyrogers over 11 years ago

Any other female makers out there? (Other than charlotte_godley?)

  • Sign in to reply
  • Cancel
  • drlucyrogers
    drlucyrogers over 11 years ago in reply to zengirl2

    Thanks for your response Leslie - very interesting to read.

    Lucy

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up 0 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • zengirl2
    zengirl2 over 11 years ago in reply to spannerspencer

    It's funny because I recently interviewed for social media for another tech site and I quickly decided it was not a good fit for me. So, this topic is rather fresh in my mind right now. I remember participating in a contest for Element 14, as well as a discussion on wearables. What I found is that mostly the same people responded. There is a small core group that is polite and encouraging, and then I feel like there is a wall. I suspect in my case my knowledge base was too simplistic for the crowd at Element 14. I'm not an engineer and more of just a STEAM fan and educator. I think Element 14 is already in the niche of engineer, so it isn't really my circle, even though I do occasionally look at people's projects or new controller reviews here. So, then I ask the question why aren't more female engineers chatting here? I think there is a normal tendency for women to be cautious nowadays due to some issues found on the net. For instance, the site I previously mentioned has a lot of one-upping going on in their comments. There was also no protection for those making comments and the site was not willing to police them. So, it wasn't exactly encouraging collaboration or discussion. The other thing is that once a woman is working in engineering, usually she has to tend to a million other things when she gets home. So, is there time to do personal projects or participate in conversation once the other day to day stuff, including social media is done? Not sure. I don't have kids, so it is easier for me to have time for these kinds of things image. I just find from hanging out on other female tech forums that most women are juggling career and kid stuff so much that they would rather just have some down time, especially with their significant other.

     

    Thanks for encouraging the conversation, and I remember how much thought when into whether I would ever post a pic on any of my tech accounts. Needless to say I took the leap.

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +4 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • zengirl2
    zengirl2 over 11 years ago in reply to drlucyrogers

    Hi, Lucy, nice to meet you. image

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +1 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • spannerspencer
    spannerspencer over 11 years ago in reply to Robert Peter Oakes

    I don't think gender is part of our profiles, now you mention it. It would be interesting to know more about, especially given that it's something of a controversial topic right now, but at the same time it seems like it could be considered a little crass to ask people (in that kind of official, documented way, that is).

     

    That said, I don't think anyone need feel guilty for making an effort to encourage more women into engineering, and into communities like element14. It's a worthwhile cause, given that we need more engineers and people need more jobs. There were two women on the same engineering course as me, way back in the early 90s, and I've often wondered where they wound up working.

     

    Maybe there's a way for us to spread awareness of the community in the female STEM circles? Very open to any suggestions, and for any thoughts on whether there's anything we can do to make the element14 community more relevant and/or appealing to such members.

     

    I'll put some thought into this, so please jot down any ideas or thoughts below that I can add to our brainstorming efforts.

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up 0 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • drlucyrogers
    drlucyrogers over 11 years ago in reply to mcb1

    Many thanks @mcb1 - waving hi to @vioet, @phoenixcomm and @zengirl2 (wave)

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +2 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • drlucyrogers
    drlucyrogers over 11 years ago in reply to phoenixcomm

    Hi Cris! Great to see you and all the fun stuff you're up to. I'm based in the UK - but great to see this is a world wide community image

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up 0 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • phoenixcomm
    phoenixcomm over 11 years ago

    Hello that's me with my facebook B&W shot my pal James took of me, and the larger one is me blushing (you don't see that often)  accepting the most award for the most "Best Technology Demonstration Booth" at Cockpit Fest 2014. This year I will have an Instrument panel. And hopefully, an out -window view using google earth. I am wiring my flight controls:imageimageimage

    • Joystick  2x axis (roll, and pitch)  [2]
    • Throttle quadrant 2x axis (2 independent throttles) [4]
    • Suncom Rudder pedals 1x axis (yaw) my real pedal system has three Yaw + right and left toe breaks. [7]

    ~ Cris H.

    Hey if you like this kind of stuff come on down to Cockpit Fest 2015

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +3 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • phoenixcomm
    phoenixcomm over 11 years ago in reply to mcb1

    thank you love...

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up 0 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • mcb1
    mcb1 over 11 years ago

    off the top of my head.

    phoenixcomm

    zengirl2

     

    They are all active here

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +1 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • Robert Peter Oakes
    Robert Peter Oakes over 11 years ago

    I see, the XX, YY, XY, YX thing now image, only kidding, it would be an interesting stat to know, perhaps E14 may have this as part of the profile of the members ? spannerspencer

     

    I know on my and other EE youtube channels, we tend to run at about 5% Female, a little sad really given the times

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up 0 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
<
element14 Community

element14 is the first online community specifically for engineers. Connect with your peers and get expert answers to your questions.

  • Members
  • Learn
  • Technologies
  • Challenges & Projects
  • Products
  • Store
  • About Us
  • Feedback & Support
  • FAQs
  • Terms of Use
  • Privacy Policy
  • Legal and Copyright Notices
  • Sitemap
  • Cookies

An Avnet Company © 2026 Premier Farnell Limited. All Rights Reserved.

Premier Farnell Ltd, registered in England and Wales (no 00876412), registered office: Farnell House, Forge Lane, Leeds LS12 2NE.

Follow element14

  • X
  • Facebook
  • linkedin
  • YouTube