element14 Community
element14 Community
    Register Log In
  • Site
  • Search
  • Log In Register
  • Community Hub
    Community Hub
    • What's New on element14
    • Feedback and Support
    • Benefits of Membership
    • Personal Blogs
    • Members Area
    • Achievement Levels
  • Learn
    Learn
    • Ask an Expert
    • eBooks
    • element14 presents
    • Learning Center
    • Tech Spotlight
    • STEM Academy
    • Webinars, Training and Events
    • Learning Groups
  • Technologies
    Technologies
    • 3D Printing
    • FPGA
    • Industrial Automation
    • Internet of Things
    • Power & Energy
    • Sensors
    • Technology Groups
  • Challenges & Projects
    Challenges & Projects
    • Design Challenges
    • element14 presents Projects
    • Project14
    • Arduino Projects
    • Raspberry Pi Projects
    • Project Groups
  • Products and Partners
    Products and Partners
    • Arduino
    • Avnet & Tria Boards Community
    • Dev Tools
    • Manufacturers
    • Multicomp Pro
    • Product Groups
    • Raspberry Pi
    • RoadTests & Reviews
  • About Us
    About the element14 Community
  • Store
    Store
    • Visit Your Store
    • Choose another store...
      • Europe
      •  Austria (German)
      •  Belgium (Dutch, French)
      •  Bulgaria (Bulgarian)
      •  Czech Republic (Czech)
      •  Denmark (Danish)
      •  Estonia (Estonian)
      •  Finland (Finnish)
      •  France (French)
      •  Germany (German)
      •  Hungary (Hungarian)
      •  Ireland
      •  Israel
      •  Italy (Italian)
      •  Latvia (Latvian)
      •  
      •  Lithuania (Lithuanian)
      •  Netherlands (Dutch)
      •  Norway (Norwegian)
      •  Poland (Polish)
      •  Portugal (Portuguese)
      •  Romania (Romanian)
      •  Russia (Russian)
      •  Slovakia (Slovak)
      •  Slovenia (Slovenian)
      •  Spain (Spanish)
      •  Sweden (Swedish)
      •  Switzerland(German, French)
      •  Turkey (Turkish)
      •  United Kingdom
      • Asia Pacific
      •  Australia
      •  China
      •  Hong Kong
      •  India
      •  Japan
      •  Korea (Korean)
      •  Malaysia
      •  New Zealand
      •  Philippines
      •  Singapore
      •  Taiwan
      •  Thailand (Thai)
      •  Vietnam
      • Americas
      •  Brazil (Portuguese)
      •  Canada
      •  Mexico (Spanish)
      •  United States
      Can't find the country/region you're looking for? Visit our export site or find a local distributor.
  • Translate
  • Profile
  • Settings
Community Hub
Community Hub
Member's Forum XX Makers
  • Blog
  • Forum
  • Documents
  • Quiz
  • Events
  • Leaderboard
  • Polls
  • Files
  • Members
  • Mentions
  • Sub-Groups
  • Tags
  • More
  • Cancel
  • New
Join Community Hub to participate - click to join for free!
Actions
  • Share
  • More
  • Cancel
Forum Thread Details
  • Replies 30 replies
  • Subscribers 634 subscribers
  • Views 2688 views
  • Users 0 members are here
  • maker
  • female
  • woman
  • women
  • makers
  • girl
Related

XX Makers

drlucyrogers
drlucyrogers over 11 years ago

Any other female makers out there? (Other than charlotte_godley?)

  • Sign in to reply
  • Cancel
  • drlucyrogers
    drlucyrogers over 11 years ago in reply to zengirl2

    I think crafting (starting from arts/craft) and making (starting from electronics/engineering) are not that far removed - would love to see more crafting projects here.

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +1 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • drlucyrogers
    drlucyrogers over 11 years ago in reply to DAB

    ooo you haz books - will look them up! image

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up 0 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • michaelkellett
    michaelkellett over 11 years ago in reply to DAB

    Amazon (.com and .co.uk) has hidden them well - I tried a search on WWII Sea War and it couldn't find them - what should I look for ?

     

    MK

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up 0 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • DAB
    DAB over 11 years ago in reply to phoenixcomm

    Hi Chris,

     

    I am curious whose books you looked at?

    Mine are only available at Amazon and Lulu.com.

     

    I wonder if someone else is using the same title?

     

    Mine are day by day ship movements and minute by minute combat sequences.

     

    Very interesting,

     

    DAB

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up 0 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • phoenixcomm
    phoenixcomm over 11 years ago in reply to DAB

    DAB I just bumped into you on Linkedin and sent a request.  loved the Sea War books I flipped through them at B&N ~~Cris

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up 0 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • DAB
    DAB over 11 years ago in reply to zengirl2

    Hi Leslie,

     

    I know the feeling.

    I am just about to release Volume 8 on my WWII Sea War Series and I am in the middle of putting a new book together on the Periodic Table using my new atomic model.  It will clarify a lot of issues about atoms and their electron clouds.

     

    Meanwhile I am waiting for a Cypress Semiconductor PSOC board from Element 14 to road test and make into a spectral lighting system for a microscope, so you will see more posting in the future.

     

    Have fun,

     

    DAB

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up 0 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • zengirl2
    zengirl2 over 11 years ago in reply to DAB

    DAB! When I mentioned encouraging people, you are probably the top of the list! How are you? How is your book coming along? I have two projects currently in stuck mode image, so give me some time. I'm always the artist first and coding is always the trickier part. 

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up 0 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • DAB
    DAB over 11 years ago in reply to zengirl2

    Hi Leslie,

     

    I noticed you had gone away for a while.

     

    Welcome back, I can't wait to see your next project.

     

    DAB

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up 0 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • zengirl2
    zengirl2 over 11 years ago in reply to spannerspencer

    Spanner, I keep wanting to call you SP2 image Anyway, I was laughing because at the end you said "you guys". I'm from Philly so I totally have the same problem. Anyway, I was trying to think of ways to make the community more inviting and I finally just determined it is best to give you this link for allies developed by some of the best geek women I know. There's a lot of good info there concerning myths, conduct and language. This Wiki is my first go-to for corporations and conferences wanting to be more inclusive.

     

    I do think your idea to create an area for educators is perfect and could potentially be a good place for me to share art projects/questions as I start creating more. In fact, I'm ready to give a talk soon on Raspberry Pi and Arduino used for art with some people that want to work on triggering projection. So, build your area and I'll come with my questions. image

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +1 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • spannerspencer
    spannerspencer over 11 years ago in reply to zengirl2

    Hi Leslie, great to hear your thoughts on this.

     

    You're not wrong that element14 is definitely geared toward the engineering community (I like to think it's fairly gender neutral in its approach, but it's hard to say that with absolute certainly simply because I'm a guy!), but funnily enough I was looking through our metrics this week for an internal report I'm working up, and educators/students is our second biggest group. When people register and enter their profession, professor/teacher/student turns out to be a big demographic for us.

     

    I'd like to start catering for that group more across the community, and doing so might address a couple of points you raised. Obviously the first point is that there are people here who are technically minded and enthusiastic, but not actually trained engineers. Educators in particular can find themselves having a strong technical element to their work life, despite not being in a tech industry (and enjoying the technical support such an industry brings with it). Secondly, if we're working more closely with educators, I wonder if that wouldn't indirectly cater for the family-focused members too? Educators and parents alike need projects and ideas that are aimed at kids and people who are new to the realm of electronics, making, hacking and so forth, which inherently need to be simpler, faster and on a tighter budget. Seems like that'd be of benefit to both.

     

    Also, on a personal note, I'm totally with you on the STEAM front. I love the STEM movement (and I think we've some pretty great content on that front here at element14, with a lot more to come: The specified item was not found.), but I think the addition of art to the mix is essential and exciting!

     

    It just seems like all these things complement each other incredibly well; a family focus, educator involvement, STEAM promotion and growing the female membership. It's an opportunity I really want to capitalise on, so any thoughts you guys have would be very, very welcome.

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up 0 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
<>
element14 Community

element14 is the first online community specifically for engineers. Connect with your peers and get expert answers to your questions.

  • Members
  • Learn
  • Technologies
  • Challenges & Projects
  • Products
  • Store
  • About Us
  • Feedback & Support
  • FAQs
  • Terms of Use
  • Privacy Policy
  • Legal and Copyright Notices
  • Sitemap
  • Cookies

An Avnet Company © 2026 Premier Farnell Limited. All Rights Reserved.

Premier Farnell Ltd, registered in England and Wales (no 00876412), registered office: Farnell House, Forge Lane, Leeds LS12 2NE.

Follow element14

  • X
  • Facebook
  • linkedin
  • YouTube