element14 Community
element14 Community
    Register Log In
  • Site
  • Search
  • Log In Register
  • Community Hub
    Community Hub
    • What's New on element14
    • Feedback and Support
    • Benefits of Membership
    • Personal Blogs
    • Members Area
    • Achievement Levels
  • Learn
    Learn
    • Ask an Expert
    • eBooks
    • element14 presents
    • Learning Center
    • Tech Spotlight
    • STEM Academy
    • Webinars, Training and Events
    • Learning Groups
  • Technologies
    Technologies
    • 3D Printing
    • FPGA
    • Industrial Automation
    • Internet of Things
    • Power & Energy
    • Sensors
    • Technology Groups
  • Challenges & Projects
    Challenges & Projects
    • Design Challenges
    • element14 presents Projects
    • Project14
    • Arduino Projects
    • Raspberry Pi Projects
    • Project Groups
  • Products and Partners
    Products and Partners
    • Arduino
    • Avnet & Tria Boards Community
    • Dev Tools
    • Manufacturers
    • Multicomp Pro
    • Product Groups
    • Raspberry Pi
    • RoadTests & Reviews
  • About Us
    About the element14 Community
  • Store
    Store
    • Visit Your Store
    • Choose another store...
      • Europe
      •  Austria (German)
      •  Belgium (Dutch, French)
      •  Bulgaria (Bulgarian)
      •  Czech Republic (Czech)
      •  Denmark (Danish)
      •  Estonia (Estonian)
      •  Finland (Finnish)
      •  France (French)
      •  Germany (German)
      •  Hungary (Hungarian)
      •  Ireland
      •  Israel
      •  Italy (Italian)
      •  Latvia (Latvian)
      •  
      •  Lithuania (Lithuanian)
      •  Netherlands (Dutch)
      •  Norway (Norwegian)
      •  Poland (Polish)
      •  Portugal (Portuguese)
      •  Romania (Romanian)
      •  Russia (Russian)
      •  Slovakia (Slovak)
      •  Slovenia (Slovenian)
      •  Spain (Spanish)
      •  Sweden (Swedish)
      •  Switzerland(German, French)
      •  Turkey (Turkish)
      •  United Kingdom
      • Asia Pacific
      •  Australia
      •  China
      •  Hong Kong
      •  India
      •  Japan
      •  Korea (Korean)
      •  Malaysia
      •  New Zealand
      •  Philippines
      •  Singapore
      •  Taiwan
      •  Thailand (Thai)
      •  Vietnam
      • Americas
      •  Brazil (Portuguese)
      •  Canada
      •  Mexico (Spanish)
      •  United States
      Can't find the country/region you're looking for? Visit our export site or find a local distributor.
  • Translate
  • Profile
  • Settings
Community Hub
Community Hub
Member's Forum Looking at parts and knowing what to do with them
  • Blog
  • Forum
  • Documents
  • Quiz
  • Events
  • Leaderboard
  • Polls
  • Files
  • Members
  • Mentions
  • Sub-Groups
  • Tags
  • More
  • Cancel
  • New
Join Community Hub to participate - click to join for free!
Actions
  • Share
  • More
  • Cancel
Forum Thread Details
  • State Suggested Answer
  • Replies 9 replies
  • Answers 7 answers
  • Subscribers 634 subscribers
  • Views 1101 views
  • Users 0 members are here
  • audio
  • howdoyoudothething
  • cluelessbuffoon
  • audioamplifier
  • amp
Related

Looking at parts and knowing what to do with them

malus_lupus
malus_lupus over 8 years ago

I want to make an audio amplifier. I, of course, looked it up on youtube but I do not have all the parts however I do have a lot of parts. I have a lot of boards I have ripped parts off of. I am curious to how do I just look at a pile of parts and know what to use and how to use them to make an audio amplifier or anything else? I know people do this all the time but I have no clue how.

  • Sign in to reply
  • Cancel
Parents
  • malus_lupus
    0 malus_lupus over 8 years ago

    The issue with that is I can look them up and get all the info I want but it still will not entirely help me connect the dot. For instance, I have a transformer over here I assume that could be helpful but I also hear about the transistors and I had no idea about them amplifying things I read it so if it amplifies the signal it is the thing to do. Then there is the whole you need to even out the signal which would be capped from what I hear, however resistors are sometimes involved and I am unsure of that and what values to use. I know about transformers if you rotate them around you can get amplification and such. Though I do not want to go with a huge transformer. I also have some bizarre parts that I know not much about that may could do something or may not. So basically I need to break it down. Signal in boost it, via what who knows yet, then that signal that is boosted output it to a smoother of some sort and then output put the smooth signal into a speaker of sorts. If it was simple it would be, signal in, transformer, some caps, and resistor, then attach to a speaker. However, it is not that simple from what I have seen. Got to get the proper resistors but I am unsure what I am even using them for, got to get the right caps I dunno even how to do that on a blank board.

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +1 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Verify Answer
    • Cancel
Reply
  • malus_lupus
    0 malus_lupus over 8 years ago

    The issue with that is I can look them up and get all the info I want but it still will not entirely help me connect the dot. For instance, I have a transformer over here I assume that could be helpful but I also hear about the transistors and I had no idea about them amplifying things I read it so if it amplifies the signal it is the thing to do. Then there is the whole you need to even out the signal which would be capped from what I hear, however resistors are sometimes involved and I am unsure of that and what values to use. I know about transformers if you rotate them around you can get amplification and such. Though I do not want to go with a huge transformer. I also have some bizarre parts that I know not much about that may could do something or may not. So basically I need to break it down. Signal in boost it, via what who knows yet, then that signal that is boosted output it to a smoother of some sort and then output put the smooth signal into a speaker of sorts. If it was simple it would be, signal in, transformer, some caps, and resistor, then attach to a speaker. However, it is not that simple from what I have seen. Got to get the proper resistors but I am unsure what I am even using them for, got to get the right caps I dunno even how to do that on a blank board.

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +1 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Verify Answer
    • Cancel
Children
No Data
element14 Community

element14 is the first online community specifically for engineers. Connect with your peers and get expert answers to your questions.

  • Members
  • Learn
  • Technologies
  • Challenges & Projects
  • Products
  • Store
  • About Us
  • Feedback & Support
  • FAQs
  • Terms of Use
  • Privacy Policy
  • Legal and Copyright Notices
  • Sitemap
  • Cookies

An Avnet Company © 2026 Premier Farnell Limited. All Rights Reserved.

Premier Farnell Ltd, registered in England and Wales (no 00876412), registered office: Farnell House, Forge Lane, Leeds LS12 2NE.

Follow element14

  • X
  • Facebook
  • linkedin
  • YouTube