element14 Community
element14 Community
    Register Log In
  • Site
  • Search
  • Log In Register
  • Community Hub
    Community Hub
    • What's New on element14
    • Feedback and Support
    • Benefits of Membership
    • Personal Blogs
    • Members Area
    • Achievement Levels
  • Learn
    Learn
    • Ask an Expert
    • eBooks
    • element14 presents
    • Learning Center
    • Tech Spotlight
    • STEM Academy
    • Webinars, Training and Events
    • Learning Groups
  • Technologies
    Technologies
    • 3D Printing
    • FPGA
    • Industrial Automation
    • Internet of Things
    • Power & Energy
    • Sensors
    • Technology Groups
  • Challenges & Projects
    Challenges & Projects
    • Design Challenges
    • element14 presents Projects
    • Project14
    • Arduino Projects
    • Raspberry Pi Projects
    • Project Groups
  • Products and Partners
    Products and Partners
    • Arduino
    • Avnet & Tria Boards Community
    • Dev Tools
    • Manufacturers
    • Multicomp Pro
    • Product Groups
    • Raspberry Pi
    • RoadTests & Reviews
  • About Us
    About the element14 Community
  • Store
    Store
    • Visit Your Store
    • Choose another store...
      • Europe
      •  Austria (German)
      •  Belgium (Dutch, French)
      •  Bulgaria (Bulgarian)
      •  Czech Republic (Czech)
      •  Denmark (Danish)
      •  Estonia (Estonian)
      •  Finland (Finnish)
      •  France (French)
      •  Germany (German)
      •  Hungary (Hungarian)
      •  Ireland
      •  Israel
      •  Italy (Italian)
      •  Latvia (Latvian)
      •  
      •  Lithuania (Lithuanian)
      •  Netherlands (Dutch)
      •  Norway (Norwegian)
      •  Poland (Polish)
      •  Portugal (Portuguese)
      •  Romania (Romanian)
      •  Russia (Russian)
      •  Slovakia (Slovak)
      •  Slovenia (Slovenian)
      •  Spain (Spanish)
      •  Sweden (Swedish)
      •  Switzerland(German, French)
      •  Turkey (Turkish)
      •  United Kingdom
      • Asia Pacific
      •  Australia
      •  China
      •  Hong Kong
      •  India
      •  Japan
      •  Korea (Korean)
      •  Malaysia
      •  New Zealand
      •  Philippines
      •  Singapore
      •  Taiwan
      •  Thailand (Thai)
      •  Vietnam
      • Americas
      •  Brazil (Portuguese)
      •  Canada
      •  Mexico (Spanish)
      •  United States
      Can't find the country/region you're looking for? Visit our export site or find a local distributor.
  • Translate
  • Profile
  • Settings
Community Hub
Community Hub
Member's Forum Looking at parts and knowing what to do with them
  • Blog
  • Forum
  • Documents
  • Quiz
  • Events
  • Leaderboard
  • Polls
  • Files
  • Members
  • Mentions
  • Sub-Groups
  • Tags
  • More
  • Cancel
  • New
Join Community Hub to participate - click to join for free!
Actions
  • Share
  • More
  • Cancel
Forum Thread Details
  • State Suggested Answer
  • Replies 9 replies
  • Answers 7 answers
  • Subscribers 634 subscribers
  • Views 1101 views
  • Users 0 members are here
  • audio
  • howdoyoudothething
  • cluelessbuffoon
  • audioamplifier
  • amp
Related

Looking at parts and knowing what to do with them

malus_lupus
malus_lupus over 8 years ago

I want to make an audio amplifier. I, of course, looked it up on youtube but I do not have all the parts however I do have a lot of parts. I have a lot of boards I have ripped parts off of. I am curious to how do I just look at a pile of parts and know what to use and how to use them to make an audio amplifier or anything else? I know people do this all the time but I have no clue how.

  • Sign in to reply
  • Cancel
Parents
  • fmilburn
    0 fmilburn over 8 years ago

    I suggest starting simple - e.g. a single transistor amplifier.  Also, try a good book or if you prefer the internet for  a write-up of how transistors work rather than YouTube.  Here is an example (which I have not tried but there are many others):  https://www.hackster.io/jwzumwalt/single-transistor-audio-amp-32033a

     

    When you understand how the amplifier works then try to build something similar.  Many common transistors should work. The link above has the math for selecting caps and resistors.  If you don’t have the exact part then subtitute what you have.  Swap out parts and see how that changes things. You don’t need anything other than a transistor, battery, capacitor, and a couple of resistors to get started.  If you have problems then forums are a great place for help but I am guessing you can get something working pretty quickly and then start looking at ways to improve. 

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +5 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Verify Answer
    • Reject Answer
    • Cancel
Reply
  • fmilburn
    0 fmilburn over 8 years ago

    I suggest starting simple - e.g. a single transistor amplifier.  Also, try a good book or if you prefer the internet for  a write-up of how transistors work rather than YouTube.  Here is an example (which I have not tried but there are many others):  https://www.hackster.io/jwzumwalt/single-transistor-audio-amp-32033a

     

    When you understand how the amplifier works then try to build something similar.  Many common transistors should work. The link above has the math for selecting caps and resistors.  If you don’t have the exact part then subtitute what you have.  Swap out parts and see how that changes things. You don’t need anything other than a transistor, battery, capacitor, and a couple of resistors to get started.  If you have problems then forums are a great place for help but I am guessing you can get something working pretty quickly and then start looking at ways to improve. 

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +5 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Verify Answer
    • Reject Answer
    • Cancel
Children
No Data
element14 Community

element14 is the first online community specifically for engineers. Connect with your peers and get expert answers to your questions.

  • Members
  • Learn
  • Technologies
  • Challenges & Projects
  • Products
  • Store
  • About Us
  • Feedback & Support
  • FAQs
  • Terms of Use
  • Privacy Policy
  • Legal and Copyright Notices
  • Sitemap
  • Cookies

An Avnet Company © 2026 Premier Farnell Limited. All Rights Reserved.

Premier Farnell Ltd, registered in England and Wales (no 00876412), registered office: Farnell House, Forge Lane, Leeds LS12 2NE.

Follow element14

  • X
  • Facebook
  • linkedin
  • YouTube